Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:56 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
He should have said he docked points from students being disruptive in the classroom....period....he turned it into a big controversy when he brought religion into the punishment....I'm with you on this one sailordave
Actually it was the parents and students who brought the whole religious angle into it. If you hunt for the original story (It was on a Sacramento TV news 2 days ago, must have been FOX cause it was the lead story after Raising Hope was on), everyone says so.
He'd get someone sneezing (real or fake, who cares) and 10-20 people commenting.

Also, it was Vacaville, not what everyone thinks of "California". Northern California, surrounded by farmland between Sacramento and the Bay. A mix of immigrant farm workers and long distance commuters to the bay.

Quote:
Do Muslims have a similar saying when one sneezes/ or is it just christians that bless sneezes/
What about Germans? They say to your health, and they were the center of the Holy Roman Empire! In Arabic, you also say to your health. And in Armenian, Bosnian, Danish, Dutch, Finish, Greek, Hebrew, Kazakh, Russian, Spanish, Yiddish, and about 50 other languages.
"Bless You" is an English thing.
It's also a "religious" saying in Punjabi, Mongolian, Kurdish, and Indonesian.

So 88+% of Christians don't have a religious saying for sneezing. The largest population of Islam (Indonesia) does, but the majority of Muslims are Arabic and have something non-religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 10:26 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
California Teacher Lowers Students’ Grades for Saying God Bless You | Video | TheBlaze.com

Naturally this happened in California. Student sneezed. Another student said god bless you. Teacher punishes student by deducting 25 points. Parents objected and the school backed the parents and student. In the video he even admitted he did this so don't bash on the source.
That's discrimination based on religion.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
That's discrimination based on religion.
Except that according to other sources, the students were *fake sneezing* and then saying *god bless you* to disrupt the class.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,883 times
It is his class for god's sake. Let him be. He is the one who teaches and set's up rules. There is nothing illegal in his rules. Simple. Shut your mouth until spoken to.
Why people have to be so dumb...

Old 10-01-2011, 12:18 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
were administration in the classroom or were they basing their statement solely on the words of the offending teacher? If indeed the students were faking the sneeze to disrupt the class then why weren't the deduction of points placed on the students faking the sneeze instead of the ones saying "god bless you"? That fact alone tells me it's his anti-Christian bias that is the issue and he's now trying to make excuses.
haha...how funny. Someone can't admit that they were wrong.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:59 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
This guy is a classic example of the type of person who should not be teaching high school. He is too easy to manipulate, the kids found a button to push on this guy, and just kept pushing.

Gotta love high school students.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:05 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
It's an ingrained habit in me to say, "Bless you". I've found few people say it now. It makes people smile when I do though - be it in an office, the grocery store, the middle of a church service, while attending a PTA meeting, during a weekend class... you name it. I'll be in a room of 100+ people, someone sneezes and I automatically respond (mama trained me well!) - even in church, I'm usually the only one!

I don't see the big deal overall. But if the kids were playing around, the teacher had a right to discipline them. Teachers also have few options when it comes to discipline these days - and every teacher has at least one whose parents didn't teach them respect, empathy, basic human kindness or consideration. In my daughter's school, the discipline plan is a JOKE - 5 or marks gets a note sent home. FIVE! They start 'clean' each morning. 5 notes sent home is a one hour detention. 5 detentions is an in school suspension... They start 'clean' with those last two each quarter. A quarter is nine weeks long. They just reached week 7 and have kids who have had in school suspension already! Do the math! You have to be a real jerk to reach that level!

I got an email from one of her teachers, condescending and rude, suggesting I 'talk' over her behavior with her and suggested that if I was 'more involved'... ???!!!! I'm a freaking PTA Board member, am at the school weekly, teach art there on a volunteer basis... I was offended by her tone and her insinuations. I was really taken off guard - she'd only gotten ONE note home in those previous 5 weeks. I talked to my daughter's hr teacher and found out that she'd been getting 3-4 marks a DAY (mostly for talking in class) - and that's when I discovered the extremely lax 'discipline' plan. This is one mama that does NOT tolerate disrespect in my children to me or another adult. I'm happy to report that the following week, I got a new note home, praising the 'marked improvement in K's behavior'. She also got her first "trouble free week" reward - which they get for a 'mark-free' week.

What was the OP again?

Old 10-01-2011, 03:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
were administration in the classroom or were they basing their statement solely on the words of the offending teacher? If indeed the students were faking the sneeze to disrupt the class then why weren't the deduction of points placed on the students faking the sneeze instead of the ones saying "god bless you"? That fact alone tells me it's his anti-Christian bias that is the issue and he's now trying to make excuses.
Do y'all's arms get longer with all this overreaching you do?

Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
I've had the exaggerated "bless you" in class before, especially during a test. Someone will sneeze, usually not on purpose, and then one person says "bless you", then someone else a few seconds later, and then someone else realizes they now have permission to talk during a test so they say "bless you" really loud about 5-10 seconds after the sneeze happened.

The video didn't make it seem like this was the case as the teacher just argued against the archaic practice of saying bless you. He is correct in trying to get rid of a tradition that doesn't make any sense, but he can't force it upon his students. Teachers can't generate prayers or religious practices, but students can. So even on the basis of religion, students have the right to say something like this.

Now it would be really cool if an atheist parent got mad over a teacher saying "God bless you" to their atheist child. They might have a case. Anyway, when a kid sneezes I usually say "blesh you", so there are no religious overtones.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This guy is a classic example of the type of person who should not be teaching high school. He is too easy to manipulate, the kids found a button to push on this guy, and just kept pushing.

Gotta love high school students.

So he should just allow the kids to continue to disrupt class? Because to address the problem would be allowing the kids to "push his buttons". I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education