Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:01 AM

112 posts, read 290,240 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to figure out how a relocator can truly determine the quality of a given (public K-12) school.

I can peruse the Great Schools website, but their rankings appear to be based solely on % of students passing a test, and thus is highly dependent on the socioeconomic status of the surrounding neighborhood, and not necessarily how well the school operates and how well those teachers actually teach. And I don't really find the parent reviews helpful enough.

Or, one could check the TEA accountability ratings, but those, too, strike me as quite crude, and a similar approach as the Great Schools ratings.

Is there even a way to objectively measure the quality of a school's teaching staff? To measure the safety and stability and discipline?

I've been advised to visit a school to see it function first-hand. I think that's great advice, but it becomes problematic when you are trying to evaluate a dozen ISDs and scores of schools.

So any suggestions on how to uncover the hidden gems in an area, the ones that are doing an excellent job teaching and developing children, but score low on the Great Schools scale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 09:04 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,926 times
Honestly, I don't think there is without visiting in person.

"Quality" means different things to different people. To one family, it may mean bilingual instruction. They want a multi-cultural experience and the opportunity to pick up another language in elementary school. The next family is incensed that their child is in a class taught half in Spanish when they don't speak Spanish in their home. They worry their child will fall behind if not instructed solely in English.

Online sites can only provide so much information. TEA ratings are one piece of information, but they are considered flawed by many, in that you can have a school that is very strong overall, but because one sub-group scores a little low (this can mean 10 kids scored poorly in one subject, even if hundreds had excellent scores and the school overall is great) the school is given a poor rating. Sites open for parent comments can be useful as well, until you remember that one person with a bone to pick may go back and masquerade as many, skewing the "facts" you're reading.

I would narrow it down to the area you're interested in, then make a trip out to visit.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:06 PM

for those not in Texas, TEA refers to the Texas Education Agency, which rates schools with their "accountability rating system".

Originally wrote this for one of the Texas forums, but decided to post it here instead.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
I think the TEA reports should give you all you need to know.
% pass on the tests, demographic breakdown, economically challenged, free/reduced lunch, passed, retained, etc.
And you can look over several years of the same school to see if they've improved or worsened.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:24 PM

572 posts, read 1,298,842 times
Parental ratings on Great Schools are telling too. If the school has great scores and the parental ratings are low, I will attempt to keep my children out of the schools. Same if the scores are low, but the parental ratings are high-- then I will attempt to send my children there. Also many schools are individual. For example, my daughter goes to one school in the district that's absolutely fabulous. She is learning Spanish, she's learning how to read, they are assessing her for giftedness. The school that my son is going to (special needs) on the other hand, is horrible. After we enrolled him, we discovered several parental complaints, including the teacher he currently has telling her children with autism that they were naughty when they were stimming, and that the teacher teaches 8 children with behavioral issues and is not trained to restrain said children. I could go on and on.

When you look at great schools, the school rating is excellent according to test scores, but if you look at parental ratings. The school my son attends there is ONE positive report (and that was not even a parent) and the rest are negative.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:55 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
I use this site SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools to look at a schools stats and to compare similar schools in an area. But as other people have said, your really have to visit to get the real feel. I don't like review sites for schools. One dissatisfied parent can make a school have a low rating and we all know, that it's often the dissatisfied customers that speak up.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:03 PM

861 posts, read 1,123,995 times
college prowler

Old 10-01-2011, 08:32 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
college prowler
OP is looking at public K- 12 schools.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Texan View Post
I've been trying to figure out how a relocator can truly determine the quality of a given (public K-12) school.

I can peruse the Great Schools website, but their rankings appear to be based solely on % of students passing a test, and thus is highly dependent on the socioeconomic status of the surrounding neighborhood, and not necessarily how well the school operates and how well those teachers actually teach. And I don't really find the parent reviews helpful enough.

Or, one could check the TEA accountability ratings, but those, too, strike me as quite crude, and a similar approach as the Great Schools ratings.

Is there even a way to objectively measure the quality of a school's teaching staff? To measure the safety and stability and discipline?

I've been advised to visit a school to see it function first-hand. I think that's great advice, but it becomes problematic when you are trying to evaluate a dozen ISDs and scores of schools.

So any suggestions on how to uncover the hidden gems in an area, the ones that are doing an excellent job teaching and developing children, but score low on the Great Schools scale?
Look at information on free/reduced lunches. That will give you some insight into the demographics of the area. Also, look at the cost of housing as compared to the rest of the state.

You might want to try sending emails to parent groups in the schools you're interested in. You really need the opinoin of someone in the district for what you want. Try asking on the boards here for the area you're interested in.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I use this site SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools to look at a schools stats and to compare similar schools in an area. But as other people have said, your really have to visit to get the real feel. I don't like review sites for schools. One dissatisfied parent can make a school have a low rating and we all know, that it's often the dissatisfied customers that speak up.
thanks for that link! wasn't familiar with schooldigger. really liking it so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education