Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:19 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times

Advertisements

Would you say something if letters and flyers from the school CONSISTENTLY come home with grammar and spelling errors? Today one came where there were the exact 2 grammar errors on different paragraphs, and I'm not talking about a hanging participle or something vague, but a lack of a verb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 03:38 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Would you say something if letters and flyers from the school CONSISTENTLY come home with grammar and spelling errors? Today one came where there were the exact 2 grammar errors on different paragraphs, and I'm not talking about a hanging participle or something vague, but a lack of a verb.
You should absolutely say something.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Is it possible that the flyers are being created by student helpers? I do think that they should be proofread by more than one adult before printing.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:56 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Are they from the teacher or the administration?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:56 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
You have a grammatical error in the above post. Typos happen, get over it.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:05 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Does the teacher teach English or something else? A lack of a verb could mean a typo. I don't know though--I've seen more mistakes in the official letters that go out from administration. I've thought about asking them if they want me to proofread them, lol.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:06 PM

187 posts, read 442,891 times
I've seen it twice this year. No biggie. People are busy and in a hurry, and make innocent typos. I'm not going to raise a stink over it, she's a wonderful teacher!

Old 09-23-2011, 04:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
At my school, it's fairly ridiculous. I understand a typo (I worked in print journalism for a long time before returning to the classroom, I know how easy it is for eyes to skip over a missing or extra letter or space or punctuation mark). But I'm not talking about typos. The main issue with those is the same as in print journalism...quick turnout and not enough trained eyes looking things over. I'm talking about instances where it's obvious that the writer just hasn't got a clue about the errors he or she is making.

Truth is, writing correctly (let alone well) is a vanishing art. Blame the "Reading class is pointless" crowd and their cousins, the "What're you gonna do with an English degree" contingent. It used to annoy me, then I realized that with skill with words comes scarcity-generated job security. I don't mind people who are bad with words...more jobs for me.

I also find, outside of written materials, that when my colleagues are speaking conversationally AND instructing students, their vocabularies are surprisingly limited. I have observed teachers in classroom settings cop to not knowing this word or that word...I'm talking words like "discrepancy" and "monumental," to give examples from classes I sat in on today alone. I witnessed a teacher doing "Diary of Anne Frank" freak out in front of her seventh grade class about a character receiving a gift of toilet water, because she had utterly no idea that "toilet water" = eau de toilette, not something from a urinal (and, just as distressing...couldn't figure it out from context). Of course, this same teacher also taught O. Henry's "Gift of the Magi," and spent an inordinant amount of time correcting the kids who pronounced "magi" correctly and telling them it was "maggie."

Old 09-23-2011, 05:03 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
It depends, in part, on there the letters originate. Is it a student worker, a teacher, or an administrator? If it's an occasional typo, then I would let it go. If it's a specific grammatical error that happens consistently, then my smart-aleck self would probably make corrections in a red pen and send the letter back.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:16 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Is it possible that the flyers are being created by student helpers? I do think that they should be proofread by more than one adult before printing.
nope, this is elementary school

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Are they from the teacher or the administration?
this time from the teacher, but often from administration

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You have a grammatical error in the above post. Typos happen, get over it.
First, I'm not teaching grammar to fourth graders. Second, there is a difference between typing 2 sentences on a forum, and typing up a letter for 110 parents, signing your name to it, and printing it. I'm not talking about a blurb or a quick email. And this was NOT a typo... as I said... it was exactly the same on two different paragraphs, therefore the author is obviously experiencing confusion with the proper usage of verbs. Should I use grammar as an adjective again, you can then safely assume that it wasn't an error in haste, but rather an intellectual deficiency.

Quote:
Does the teacher teach English or something else? A lack of a verb could mean a typo. I don't know though--I've seen more mistakes in the official letters that go out from administration. I've thought about asking them if they want me to proofread them, lol. .
Yes, I've seen many mistakes in letters from the administration as well. I always just assume it's from the secratary, which I won't judge because she's not directly involved in the education of my children. I do always hope it's not from the principal, as he has a doctorate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education