Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:10 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times

Advertisements

Seems to be the war cry of the Fall Quarter. Have you all heard students say this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Who won the American Revolution?
Who was the 1st President?
List a common name for each side in the Civil War.
Which American wrote the Declaration of Independence?
List two reasons for the Civil War.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 10-05-2011 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: missed a word

Old 10-05-2011, 10:26 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
Since my daughter started school we have moved 5 time and I have heard her say, "that isn't the way they taught me in Utah,Nm,Oregon" She always has an adjustment period when switching schools. I wish each state would adopt the same way of teaching things, that way it would be much easier for incoming students from other states.

to answer your question though, I have heard her say, "I was already taught that" For example, we moved from Oregon to Arizona, here in Arizona they are doing multiplication facts and she was already taught them in Oregon. I just tell her that this way she already knows it so it should be easy for her.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:57 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Since my daughter started school we have moved 5 time and I have heard her say, "that isn't the way they taught me in Utah,Nm,Oregon" She always has an adjustment period when switching schools. I wish each state would adopt the same way of teaching things, that way it would be much easier for incoming students from other states.

to answer your question though, I have heard her say, "I was already taught that" For example, we moved from Oregon to Arizona, here in Arizona they are doing multiplication facts and she was already taught them in Oregon. I just tell her that this way she already knows it so it should be easy for her.
Might not want to take that so lightly.

Our kid did multiplication in 2nd Grade.

And again in 3rd.

Now again in 4th. The kid is bored to tears.

We are looking for ANY Self-Paced options.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:42 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

And again in 3rd.

Take what so lightly? That she is being taught things she already knows? If that is the case, I don't. We do quite a bit of things at home also that stimulate her brain. Unfortunatly this seems to be how the education system is in this country so I try and find more stimulating educational things for her to learn outside of school. She is in 4th grade and they are doing 5 minute times multiplication tests. She was doing 2 minute times tests and was up to her 12x's by the middle of the year. Unfortunatley every state is different and she just has to deal with it during her 1 hour of math.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:57 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Seems to be the war cry of the Fall Quarter. Have you all heard students say this before?
Every.
Single.
Year.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Take what so lightly? That she is being taught things she already knows? If that is the case, I don't. We do quite a bit of things at home also that stimulate her brain. Unfortunatly this seems to be how the education system is in this country so I try and find more stimulating educational things for her to learn outside of school. She is in 4th grade and they are doing 5 minute times multiplication tests. She was doing 2 minute times tests and was up to her 12x's by the middle of the year. Unfortunatley every state is different and she just has to deal with it during her 1 hour of math.

Try all perfect squares from 1-20 in 45 seconds.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:21 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

And again in 3rd.

THAT is the American way. We "SPIRAL" back to subjects year after year to make sure everyone gets it. Don't worry about your kid. Soon he/she will figure out that no one actually expects him/her to get it the first time and that learning it the first time just leads to boredom....

We really need to stop doing this. We're sending the message that no one expects students to learn it the first time and boring any student who does get it the first time to tears. It's time for proficiency tests. Kids who are proficient move on. Those who aren't get to "spiral".

Old 10-07-2011, 07:38 PM

167 posts, read 477,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
THAT is the American way. We "SPIRAL" back to subjects year after year to make sure everyone gets it. Don't worry about your kid. Soon he/she will figure out that no one actually expects him/her to get it the first time and that learning it the first time just leads to boredom....

We really need to stop doing this. We're sending the message that no one expects students to learn it the first time and boring any student who does get it the first time to tears. It's time for proficiency tests. Kids who are proficient move on. Those who aren't get to "spiral".
I understand what you are saying but I have to agree with Phillip to a degree. Each state is different and I've seen first hand how my children have been behind in education when it comes to comparison of states. Proficiency tests would be a great idea if they weren't based on the individual state but nationwide. This year my son is teaching his "class" in social studies because this state is covering what he's already learned last year in a previous state.

I see no reason why we all can't be on the same page to start off with and go from there depending on a child's personal level.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:48 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawl_rawr View Post
I understand what you are saying but I have to agree with Phillip to a degree. Each state is different and I've seen first hand how my children have been behind in education when it comes to comparison of states. Proficiency tests would be a great idea if they weren't based on the individual state but nationwide. This year my son is teaching his "class" in social studies because this state is covering what he's already learned last year in a previous state.

I see no reason why we all can't be on the same page to start off with and go from there depending on a child's personal level.
I'm all for national standardized exit exams that kids have to pass to pass the class or grade. I'm also for getting rid of spiraling in favor of teaching to mastery the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education