Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should students be ID-ed by their grades?
Yes 8 32.00%
No 16 64.00%
Other 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:49 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,699,935 times

Advertisements

California tells high school color-coded IDs based on test scores not allowed | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Kennedy High School in La Palma, California gave out IDs and student planners in three different colors to its students based on how well they performed on state standardized tests. The school distributed black and gold cards to students who scored "advanced" or "proficient" on the tests--distinctions that gave them special privileges and discounts at school events and at some local businesses
I've actually never seen this before - during my school days we just had the honor role. Is this a widespread practice?

Do you agree that students should be ID-ed based on their academic performance? Should students with better grades also receive special privileges? Or is this really damaging for the other students' self-esteem and can cause other problems? The article mentioned there were condescending attitudes towards those with a lower-graded card.

Thanks for your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 02:08 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,529,592 times
I don't think this is right at all. A test is not an absolute measure of how intelligent a child is or is not. Some kids are very intelligent but don't do well on tests.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,759,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I don't think this is right at all. A test is not an absolute measure of how intelligent a child is or is not. Some kids are very intelligent but don't do well on tests.
And some kids are not good at football either, but maybe athletic in "other" ways, should they get football varsity jackets? If not, should no one get football varsity jackets?

There is nothing wrong with recognizing achievement. And for the record, recognizing one type of achievement (test scores in this case) does not diminish other types of achievement.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,224,648 times
Idiotic idea.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:19 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,468,134 times
Not a good idea, although I do think that students should continue to be tested and graded. Differentiation will likely come in the usual ways - in their future careers and incomes.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:28 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,206,108 times
Too much testing, not enough emphasis on actually learning anything.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Not a good idea, although I do think that students should continue to be tested and graded. Differentiation will likely come in the usual ways - in their future careers and incomes.
So should we shield the students from the future differentiation or let them get used to it at a younger age? Do you think this would encourage students to work harder or give them another reason to quit school/give up?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Good point. Students can be intelligent/gifted but not score highly on standardized tests. Would this ID be more acceptable if it was based on report cards instead of a standardized test?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,759,388 times
It is clear from a young age that some students are more talented in some areas than others. Some are musically talented (a gift I sorely lack to my regret), some are gifted athletes, etc. Acknowledging these talents is not considered a slight to those who do not have them.

Yet, intelligence, another skill based on both inherent genetic traits and work (like most other talents) is held to some other type of accountability. I have always told my daughter there will be people smarter than her, because there will be. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that or acknowledging the achievements of those who "test" better than she does.

Maybe everyone's self worth is wrapped up in being smart now, but I am not sure why that is. Not everyone is smart. That is not an insult. Its a statement of fact.

Personally, I would rather the school acknowledge those who work hard but if there are plenty of resources (not likely in a Cali school) it is perfectly fine acknowledging those who met a particular goal, even if that goal was a test score.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:43 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,247,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
California tells high school color-coded IDs based on test scores not allowed | The Lookout - Yahoo! News
I've actually never seen this before - during my school days we just had the honor role. Is this a widespread practice?

Do you agree that students should be ID-ed based on their academic performance? Should students with better grades also receive special privileges? Or is this really damaging for the other students' self-esteem and can cause other problems? The article mentioned there were condescending attitudes towards those with a lower-graded card.

Thanks for your thoughts
It's about time high achievers got recognition for their hard work and intelligence. They certainly won't get it in society, and they'll be heavily taxed (punished) by government if they continue to work hard and succeed.

And "low esteem" is no longer the problem it was when I was growing up (1960s and 70s). The problem now is that younger generations have far too high an opinion of themselves, and think they deserve a life of luxury just because their parents always treated them like God's gift to the world (of course, the reason our generation raised kids like that was BECAUSE we had low self-esteem, and we desperately wanted our kids to like us and consider us their best friends).

Sports stars have always been given special privileges and recognition in school--something that makes no sense, since school should be about academics and not recreation. Even back when I was going to college, I didn't qualify for scholarships despite straight-As, because my family had a relatively high income (but only for 3 years, then my Dad had to retire early due to health). All the academic scholarships required you to be low income, while all the sports scholarships (and there were tons of them) ignored income altogether.

Our society seems to despise and look down on intelligence, although we heavily depend on those people to work hard keeping the nation's systems functional. Intelligence is NOT correlated to financial reward in our society, which is one of the reasons our economy is so dysfunctional--we reward arrogant Narcissism instead.

In the school system--the ONE time in life that high intelligence and learning ability are actually recognized--it seems that many are obsessed with pretending everyone is exactly the same, and everyone has equal value to society. Unfortunately, a school system is meant to differentiate between the most intelligent and the least, so that career paths can be decided. Doctors and engineers have to be pretty smart to get through their educations and careers, while graphic artists can be very intellectually challenged while still being superstars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education