Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:59 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Where do you people live?

I thought I lived in liberal la-la land, but that is over the top.
Texas ain't exactly what I would call liberal. Is that your idea of a liberal state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 05:03 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
There very well could be a difference in philosophy between the group promoting the idea and the implementation in a specific local district. The group promoting the idea is out of Sacramento, CA. I doubt very much they had anything to do with a visit in Texas.

From the Groups Web Site:
This project should be voluntary for all involved and that teachers

Old 10-10-2011, 05:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I am 64 and when I was in school there were mandatory parent teachers conferences. But they were scheduled individually and at the school. They were for the teacher to show how and tell how the student was doing.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-11-2011 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Fixed typos

Old 10-10-2011, 05:46 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,167 times
Back in the '90's I taught at a school located in the "projects". We literally had a PTA meeting where ONE parent showed up. Anyway, admin thought the TEACHERS should visit these homes. Didn't last long. It was dangerous and not worth the trouble. Teachers should teach, not parent or PR.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:51 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
I encourage people to stick it to the teachers' unions and overreaching public (read: government) school officials and put your kids in private school or home school them. The government won't stop the abuses of the public school officials, so stop relying on them to do anything.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-10-2011 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned remark

Old 10-10-2011, 05:53 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
I have the ultimate response to being told that there will be a Parent Teacher Home Visit Today.

Does the phrase "Pound sand and get bent" have any meaning for you?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
If they want parents to meet teachers in the home, then it should be in the teachers' homes so that the parents can see just whom is teaching their children!

I bet that would put an immediate stop to the parent/teacher home conferences.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:05 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
They say ..

And no .. it wasn't as "voluntary" as these would have you imagine
What exactly does that mean?

Frankly, the level of paranoia, mistrust and downright rudeness on this thread is as comical as it is sad. Heaven forbid a school should try to work in partnership with families. The people crying about this are the first ones to raise a stink when test scores fall or the dropout rate rises.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
What exactly does that mean?

Frankly, the level of paranoia, mistrust and downright rudeness on this thread is as comical as it is sad. Heaven forbid a school should try to work in partnership with families. The people crying about this are the first ones to raise a stink when test scores fall or the dropout rate rises.
I am pretty damn liberal, and I have to say, this is intrusive. I am not a "git off my land" knuckle-dragger, but unwelcome, uninvited visits at my home (whether mandatory or pressured) are not something I welcome.

Parents should be at school and participating in their child's education. If they don't care to, the school needs to make up the difference...

Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
I seriously don't get you. Teachers are not *out to get* parents. The idea of this is to make it easy on parents to get to know the teachers and to find out how the kids are doing. Certainly, parents don't have to let the teacher in, but really, I cannot see the harm in something like this. The idea is actually to promote trust and show how much the teachers care about the kids. In elementary school, kids absolutely love having visits from their teachers. Jr. High and High school is a bit more problematic, but will depend on the particular teachers and students.

Jaime Escalante visited some of his students at home. Everyone loves to tout how much he did to get kids who would never have done well to pass the AP calculus tests.

Power of home visits and caring stressed to teachers - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Education

Quote:
One New Hampshire principal started out skeptical of the APEX program and its emphasis on creating a compassionate school environment but was won over when he saw the results, said JoAnne Malloy, assistant professor and director of the APEX program.

She quoted him as saying, "When students experience consistency, kindness and concern, we have more learning, more satisfaction, less negative behavior and fewer dropouts."
Teachers who visit homes well-received by parents - Chicago Sun-Times

Note that a lot of teachers consider this extra work foisted upon them by the administrators too, but really, relationships are built outside of school. If you live in a small town, you probably see the teachers at the grocery store or other places and may even socialize with them. When I taught preK in Evanston, kids loved seeing me around at the library, bookstore or grocery store and that was not even a small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education