Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:25 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,094 times

Advertisements

For a few dollars, look at what we could do:

France's Gourmet School Lunches - YouTube

These are school lunches in France. Notice the variety of fresh vegetables, real meat, real cheeses (and not in excess), and quality grains. Also, take a note of food safety and hygiene standards.

At the time, the meals cost $5-6 in France. Remember that lower US labor and food costs would translate into $2-4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 01:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Interesting- perhaps it's different in all of the school districts I've had experience with? They all use private companies, such as Chartwells.
http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err61/err61.pdf
To defray costs, many schools, and, sometimes,
the school food service itself, depend on revenues from competitive foods,

Very few school districts (I can't find the stat right now) use exclusively private companies. Some may have contracts with these companies.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:49 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
For a few dollars, look at what we could do:

France's Gourmet School Lunches - YouTube

These are school lunches in France. Notice the variety of fresh vegetables, real meat, real cheeses (and not in excess), and quality grains. Also, take a note of food safety and hygiene standards.

At the time, the meals cost $5-6 in France. Remember that lower US labor and food costs would translate into $2-4.
The BIG difference is cultural! We are a fast food/processed food nation. Parents perceive that's all their kids will eat. Heck, in France you hardly see obese people. It is not culturally acceptable. Here...................
This is what our elementary school is serving: http://www.d23.org/ph23/foodservice/...nu_SY11-12.pdf
It is a HUGE improvement over the cheese nachos/ corn dog/hot dog oriented menu they used to have. My daughter used to only like school lunches 3-6 times a month last year. Now she has it every day. The number of kids having school lunches has also increased.
So mediocre school lunches are due to (IMO) cost issues and lack of urgency on the administrators. I always contend that if the entire staff of the school and district had to eat the students school lunches daily, big changes would happen very quickly!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:48 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,079 times
It is free along with the breakfast at all schools. Nobody checks to see if the student actually is from a low economic family. Many parents driving nice cars and living in nice houses sign their kids up for this entitlement program at all public schools in the USA.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:04 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
It is free along with the breakfast at all schools. Nobody checks to see if the student actually is from a low economic family. Many parents driving nice cars and living in nice houses sign their kids up for this entitlement program at all public schools in the USA.
You could not be more wrong. There are a lot of financial forms that you have to fill out for the free lunch and free breakfast program. You can download the prototype applications here:

Free and Reduced Price Meal Benefit Information

Quote:
9. WILL THE INFORMATION I GIVE BE CHECKED? Yes and we may also ask you to send written proof.
People can apply online, btw.

The income eligibility guidelines are here:
Income Eligibility Guidelines

Note though that there are some people who are eligible even if they do not meet the income guidelines - if the child is a foster child, the child receives the food automatically, for example.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:38 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
I think the free and reduced breakfast and lunches vary between states/districts. In a neighboring city district where I live, they have free breakfast and lunch for all since the majority of students would qualify. But in my district, there are many forms to fill out and hoops to jump. Less then 10% qualify.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think the free and reduced breakfast and lunches vary between states/districts. In a neighboring city district where I live, they have free breakfast and lunch for all since the majority of students would qualify. But in my district, there are many forms to fill out and hoops to jump. Less then 10% qualify.
Where I used to live, almost everyone qualified. You still had to fill out all the forms, though.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
It is a federal program. You have to fill out the forms.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Was talking to my mom last night, and the topic of school lunches came up...she reported that in her district (the one I grew up attending, and the one she's worked in for nearly two decades), school lunches no longer include a dessert, period. It is a main course, vegetables (usually more than one), occasionally fruit (which may be considered the dessert, I'd imagine, in meals where it's present), and milk.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
I doubt that anyone in our community qualifies for free lunches. However, it must be subsidized because we pay less than $2 per lunch. That explains the poor qulity food. I would gladly pay $5 per lunch if they had something that is actually food and promised to never offer Bosco sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education