Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Here's the city district near me: Allentown School District | Child Nutrition Services (http://www.allentownsd.org/233410820121743360/cwp/view.asp?A=3&Q=275894&C=56530 - broken link)

and Their lunch menu for the HS sounds pretty good, but who knows?
"Free" breakfast for all students and a "free" lunch for elementary? That seems unusual and unecessary to me unless 100% qualify for "free" lunch.

The school in which I work had breakfast for one year. 800 students in the building and an average of 6 had breakfast at school each morning. Only about 6% of the student population qualifies for free or reduced meals, so breakfast was dropped after one year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 09:36 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
"Free" breakfast for all students and a "free" lunch for elementary? That seems unusual and unecessary to me unless 100% qualify for "free" lunch.

The school in which I work had breakfast for one year. 800 students in the building and an average of 6 had breakfast at school each morning. Only about 6% of the student population qualifies for free or reduced meals, so breakfast was dropped after one year.
In this city school district, over 60% of the students qualify for reduced or free lunches. I think the idea is taking the stigma away of being poor by just giving everyone the food. I have no idea of the participation rate of breakfast. I would guess if they make it easy like granola bars and a container of milk, it would be fast and easy.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
In this city school district, over 60% of the students qualify for reduced or free lunches. I think the idea is taking the stigma away of being poor by just giving everyone the food.
I have a problem with this. It just adds to the sense of entitlement that seems to be more prevalent than ever.

http://articles.mcall.com/2009-08-28...n-services-eat
If enough parents fill out applications, the district will get more federal money to cover the cost of providing lunch to everyone. If the district gets at least 20 percent more parents to sign up, students, even if their parents are doctors, will need no cash to eat.

Great. They are getting federal funds to feed kids whether the family can afford it or not. So, not only am I working to pay for my own child's breakfast and lunch, but my tax $ is helping to pay for some doctors' kids to eat too.

Last edited by tgbwc; 11-04-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Do you really think that people that are earning high incomes are 1) filling out the forms and 2) sending their kids to this school? Schools must give all families the forms for free lunches. We just threw them away every year (not that we went to this district) but we wouldn't have taken a free lunch - would you?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Do you really think that people that are earning high incomes are 1) filling out the forms and 2) sending their kids to this school? Schools must give all families the forms for free lunches. We just threw them away every year (not that we went to this district) but we wouldn't have taken a free lunch - would you?

Would I accept the lunch? No. But this sense of entitlement is happening more and more as the "everyone gets a trophy generation" gets older. I do believe that people with, at minimum, adequate incomes are sending their kids to public school and accepting the free lunches. They must be filling out the forms. In 2009 they needed a 20% increase in order to offer free lunches to all. The district even pushed for people to fill out the forms. They are now offering free lunches to all, no matter the need.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:18 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,139 times
My wife had a student in her class who was forbidden to eat school lunch, not even the salad. His mother made his lunch everyday. If he forgot his lunch, he was to eat a cheese sandwich and apple. That is what the school district gives to students who reach their borrow limit on their lunch accounts.

With my kids when they were in school, I paid for entire year of lunches the first day. If they didn't want it that day, they made their lunch. If they left their lunch at home, they ate hot lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education