Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

yes i was once 23. believe or not. i am now retired.
stop looking, learn a trade stay outa debt.. practice it put food on the table and a roof over your head. dont marry or have kids.
later when you mature you can seek out what really floats your boat, but you will do it on your terms and nobody else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:27 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge07 View Post
...because i'm 23 years old, and i don't know what i want to study, i want to follow a career where i know i'm going to be happy waking up in the morning and be excited about it...not just a high paying job to pay the bills, but it's looking this way. I just looked through a list of 300 careers and their pay, and i don't find anything that catches my attention. Anybody have any tips?
So do you want a job that pays well or a job that you be excited about?

One of the books I enjoyed reading was "What should I do with my life?" by Po Bronson. Its not meant to give you answers, its not meant to be a self-help book, its not meant to be a book about a systemic way to be successful. Its meant to relay other people experiences and how it relates to the reader.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
Nothing is wrong with you! You are young and unsure. It is not a bad place to be. Thankfully, you are taking your time until you find what resonates with you instead of rushing, pressuring yourself or giving-in to others' pressure, and getting stuck in the wrong career, to find yourself miserable for life.

Computers! do you enjoy them a lot? I am convinced that anyone in computer security and "data mining" sorry but that's snooping on we common citizens these days, will guarantee you a job for life.

Data mining...the NSA has a huge facility in San Antonio, TX., and not far from them, MSN has a data-mining center, and I hear that Facebook is building a facility of the same type in a small town in Oregon! All three of those provide a wonderful, affordable place to live and have good paying, no, great paying jobs.

Learning Cryptology will, too. I have a family member that learned that and got a degree in Computer science, and he went from being enlisted, not officer in the military, doing this in an underground facility to his first, civilian job of starting pay near DC, of 129,000. a yr, with wonderful benefits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education