Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM

753 posts, read 1,481,797 times

Advertisements

Just curious about how this is where you are.

We live in City A. However, we are zoned to City B's district. City A's district does not include us, actual residents of City A but it does include some City A residents as well as residents of cities C, D, E and some of City B, too.

I had never heard of this. Whole cities were in one district where we came from. Sometimes the district was only the one city but sometimes several cities were in one districts but cities/towns were not divided up into a lot of different districts.

I wonder how often this happens. I wonder how these crazy district boundaries get drawn.

How is it like where you are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 08:51 AM

262 posts, read 564,739 times
Yes, it is like that here. We are residents of city A but zoned for schools in city B. For us it's the best of both. We get the city services of the larger city A and the better schools from the smaller suburban city B.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,457,878 times
Where I currently am, the city boundaries do not match the school district boundaries. The school district boundaries were drawn before the cities fully expanded.

I have seen city boundaries change, school district boundary changes are less likely, ... and often see when City B does things like dumps unwanted projects (low income housing, etc.) into the part of City B that feeds into City A's school district.

As as kid, I moved a little and have experience situations like the current situation, ... in another state where they had different districts for elementary, middle & high schools which didn't match ... and yet another state where it was county schools.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Texas is weird because the districts are all over the place not in particular cities.

In Illinois, the city boundaries and district boundaries mostly matched up, although we did have a part of our town that was in our district, but theoretically in a different town. The borders were very close so it seemed as if it was in the same town even though the postal addresses were different.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 AM

4,618 posts, read 4,885,665 times
I went to a rural high school. the village limits covered 1.9 square miles. I graduated with less than 5 kids who lived within the village limits. The district covered about 200 square miles. I went to school with kids with about 4 different town's mailing addresses in 2 different counties.

Then you've got states with independent cities. In Virginia for example, to go to Alexandria city schools, you HAVE to live in Alexandria. But you could have an Alexandria address and live outside the independent city and go to Fairfax county schools. But that's the only exception, districts are otherwise by county, you can't cross county lines to go to another school district.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:02 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,202 times
In Texas, the school districts were typically done before all the differing cities were established, therefore districts are NOT be cities at all. In our area you have to look at a specific address to see what school and/or district your house is zoned for. It is not unheard of to have a street split in the middle of a block with one direction in one district and the other direction in another district. Or have the houses on the south be in one city and the houses on the north in another but both in the same district.

It is certainly not cut and dried here.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,809,362 times
You need to get a school district map when you start looking for a place anywhere. On my road, in a rural area of the outer ring of suburbs, we have 4 ( yes, four) school districts in a space of 5 miles. Why? part is north of the Thruway and they go to one district. The a single block ( ours) goes to our town schools (it was part of a large farm and kept together. South of the next main road to our south, the kids go to a really rural district and the rest of the road goes to the district one town over. No rhyme or reason to it.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:01 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
I think there are 10 different towns in our district and several of those towns have parts of their town that are a part of other districts. One town near us I know is split into 3 different districts. Our particular town is all in our district though.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:27 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
The OP is not unusual.

We live in A township... have a City of B mailing address... the kids went to Greater C School District.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
Just curious about how this is where you are.

We live in City A. However, we are zoned to City B's district. City A's district does not include us, actual residents of City A but it does include some City A residents as well as residents of cities C, D, E and some of City B, too.

I had never heard of this. Whole cities were in one district where we came from. Sometimes the district was only the one city but sometimes several cities were in one districts but cities/towns were not divided up into a lot of different districts.

I wonder how often this happens. I wonder how these crazy district boundaries get drawn.

How is it like where you are?
It is like that in my home town. There were 2 cities and 3 districts. The city and district boundaries had nothing to do with each other.

Where I live now our district covers the whole county, but there are other districts that are pretty convoluted nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education