Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:50 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Yep, gotta pay for that Estee de Lauder some way!
It's "Estée Lauder" no de. I know that while never having been able to afford those types of things. Because I belong to that most evil of professions, teaching. Last thing this evil, grasping, ungrateful teacher splurged on? $75 for a sixth of an iPad. Not for the teachers or even the school but for one of our students who had lost both her mom and all of her belongings (including her beloved books and laptop) in a fire. The iPad let her do all her work wherever she was shuffled off to that week , regardless of Internet capability and without lugging around her textbooks.

That was on top of the donations of clothes, shoes, etc that we did for her including twice a week we drive her to which ever "home" she is staying at so she can maintain her position in the afterschool activities that keep her from dwelling on her loss (her words not mine).

So you are going to have to accept that some of us evil teachers are a little distracted by these other things and may not cater to your every whim.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:04 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,444 times
Quote:
Ok, you're assuming I have a long dress at all, let alone one I'm willing to hack up for a project. Borrow from a friend---same problem. Oh, can I borrow your nice dress to hack up for a school project?

Thrift store? when was the last time you actually shopped in a thrift store? Funny, the assumptions people make, that such stuff is always available, at whatever price their imagination dreams up. Thrift stores are becoming increasingly pricey, and you can't always find what you want/need at the exact time a project is due. Last time I looked for a dress for a costume in salvation Army they were about $10-$15, and yes, I know about their discount days!

Hat or crown---there again, you assume I have a "magic closet" with stuff for every ocassion. Even if I did have such a hat, there again, perhaps I don't want it hacked up for a project? Same goes for my neighbor's closet!

Tiaras---they don't sell them outside of Halloween time!

Look, I learned over the years to save that crap, seems they always want something for such a project. But, we moved over a year ago, and you can't take everything with you. I donated much of that crap, thinking we wouldn't need it in the future, my kids would be in high school. Seems it never ends!

One fine day after the holidays, I will go to some sales, thrift stores, etc, and stock up on costume and project "crap" for future events, seems they will never end. Do they play dress-up in college, too?

Then they wonder why US students are lagging other countries, such as Japan, India, etc. Perhaps because they actually teach the kids something, instead of wasting time playing fiddle faddle?
Why in the world would you feel the need to hack up the dress or hat? She simply wears them.......good grief.

I was in the thrift store last Friday as a matter of fact. I bought 10 pairs of jeans and 3 shirts for less than $26. My almost 14 yr old got jeans that included Eddie Bauer and Tommy Hilfiger and my soon to be 9 yr old son got Polo, Calvin Klein and Levi's all in excellent shape. If all the items I got had been bought new at regular retail price it would have cost at the very least $700....and I paid $25.83

I was also there about 3 weeks ago....few days before Halloween. They had two full round racks and one 8 foot straight rack of formal dresses that people were buying from and as I looked for my daughter I saw NOTHING over $5.00. Most were $1-2. There was still plenty of those there when I was there buying the jeans.

Almost all their jeans come from the thrift shop, so I am there quite regularly. I suggested as I did because I DO have first hand experience of regular thrift shopping.

Tiaras are sold year round in the party sections of stores.

This is still an extremely easy solution if you'd just let it be one.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:13 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Quote:
This is still an extremely easy solution if you'd just let it be one.
That's the ticket right there. But unfortunately, I believe some people kind of just function making little things into big things. Having something to complain about is a way of life.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:15 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That's the ticket right there. But unfortunately, I believe some people kind of just function making little things into big things. Having something to complain about is a way of life.
So very true.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:49 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times
I've done my share of scrimping and saving, too. And my share of good deeds and charitable acts.Why is everyone so p'od I bought myself some makeup? Like I said, I hadn't bought myself ANYTHING, that included basics, for over 2 years. I wanted it, I bought it, case closed. BTW, if I see anything else I want, I might just buy it----so there!

My whole point of even menitoning the Estee de lauder (btw, it used to be called Estee de lauder, guess they shortened the name), my whole point was, I just got the package in the mail the same day along with a $150 shipment of meds from the mail order pharmacy. Two boxes for me, and one was NOT meds! Then, the same day, I hear about this project.

Well, we had carefully budgeted to pay for the meds and the makeup, then hit with an unexpected expense. So, I can't very well return the meds (unless some of you think I should do so---I'm NOT taking an opinion poll here) guess the only other thing to return is the makeup? No, I think I will keep my gift to myself, after all, with 2 kids, I've spent that much or more in years past for teacher gifts, I think I deserve as much as they do.

The whole point is, quit assigning projects at an economically stressful time of the year, and allow more time to complete them. Despite all the suggestions here, they take time, time working parents don't have.

Oh, and the suggestions I "just' pull something together are not so realistic. Teachers do grade the costume, its not just "whatever". I've had costumes picked to death for nonsense, like originality, neatness, completeness, I highly doubt the boy who pulled together a monk's costume with a sheet would have received even a passing grade. These schools expect a Broadway type production. Well, all the more reason to get all dressed up with my new makeup!

Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It's "Estée Lauder" no de. I know that while never having been able to afford those types of things. Because I belong to that most evil of professions, teaching. Last thing this evil, grasping, ungrateful teacher splurged on? $75 for a sixth of an iPad. Not for the teachers or even the school but for one of our students who had lost both her mom and all of her belongings (including her beloved books and laptop) in a fire. The iPad let her do all her work wherever she was shuffled off to that week , regardless of Internet capability and without lugging around her textbooks.

That was on top of the donations of clothes, shoes, etc that we did for her including twice a week we drive her to which ever "home" she is staying at so she can maintain her position in the afterschool activities that keep her from dwelling on her loss (her words not mine).

So you are going to have to accept that some of us evil teachers are a little distracted by these other things and may not cater to your every whim.

What's my "whim" i expect to be catered to? I'm just presenting a side of reality you probably don't get, since parents manage to make your projects work, for the sake of the kid, and count the days until you will be a "fond" memory.

Just what on Earth do you think a kid in 9th grade learns by playing dress up? Or is the whole point to impress your principal with your class participation, visuals, etc

Old 11-19-2011, 12:03 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,160 times
Thursday morning, I received a message from another teacher that one of our mutual students would be gone Friday, Monday and Tuesday and that his mother wanted all his teachers to send home -- that day -- packets of work that he could complete while he was gone.

The plan was for my class to use these few days on a China webquest, so I had to spend the bulk of my prep period (and lunch) printing out pictures and webpages (because the child's family would be travelling and couldn't guarantee access to the internet), creating note-taking guides and detailed instructions.

It would have been SO nice if the mother -- who knew the student would be absent those days -- could have contacted the school earlier so that her son's five teachers wouldn't have had to push everything else aside to cater to HER needs.

There's a little bit of reality for you to ponder.

Sometimes life is inconvenient. Deal with it and move on.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
^^Gosh, my kids' schools (all in one district) had a policy that such requests had to be made in advance. I can't remmber how far now. Push for such a policy for your school.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
Quote:
I've done my share of scrimping and saving, too. And my share of good deeds and charitable acts.Why is everyone so p'od I bought myself some makeup? Like I said, I hadn't bought myself ANYTHING, that included basics, for over 2 years. I wanted it, I bought it, case closed. BTW, if I see anything else I want, I might just buy it----so there!

My whole point of even menitoning the Estee de lauder (btw, it used to be called Estee de lauder, guess they shortened the name), my whole point was, I just got the package in the mail the same day along with a $150 shipment of meds from the mail order pharmacy. Two boxes for me, and one was NOT meds! Then, the same day, I hear about this project.

Well, we had carefully budgeted to pay for the meds and the makeup, then hit with an unexpected expense. So, I can't very well return the meds (unless some of you think I should do so---I'm NOT taking an opinion poll here) guess the only other thing to return is the makeup? No, I think I will keep my gift to myself, after all, with 2 kids, I've spent that much or more in years past for teacher gifts, I think I deserve as much as they do.

The whole point is, quit assigning projects at an economically stressful time of the year, and allow more time to complete them. Despite all the suggestions here, they take time, time working parents don't have.

Oh, and the suggestions I "just' pull something together are not so realistic. Teachers do grade the costume, its not just "whatever". I've had costumes picked to death for nonsense, like originality, neatness, completeness, I highly doubt the boy who pulled together a monk's costume with a sheet would have received even a passing grade. These schools expect a Broadway type production. Well, all the more reason to get all dressed up with my new makeup!
Originality, neatness and completion cost nothing. Why are you so involved in a project that your daughter should be able to handle in high school? If you can't afford the $5.00 that a trip to the Goodwill store would cost, then tell her to pick another subject and use what she has on hand. Tell her to get together with a friend and exchange costume pieces. Give her an old sheet to wrap into a long skirt.

Honestly, I don't understand why everything teachers come up with is such an issue for you. And I don't understand what "time" parents need to put into a HS project either. Your daughter needs a ride to the thrift store? Well, you have plenty of time to sit and complain online, now don't you?

You do your children no good with the "poor me" attitude. How about a little "can do" for a change.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:00 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Gosh, my kids' schools (all in one district) had a policy that such requests had to be made in advance. I can't remmber how far now. Push for such a policy for your school.
I could do that but, honestly, we try to be as accommodating to our parents as possible. As I said, sometimes life is inconvenient and you just need to learn to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education