Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:10 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Congratulations. The graduation rate in my district stands at 49%
I would suggest moving (or getting a job in a better district and transferring your kids there like I did). One of the great things I see in my district is peer pressure. I moved my dd to the district I teach in last year and her grades have jumped, she has a more positive attitude about school and her goals are clearer. She now goes to school with kids who value education and are planning to go to college. Just being around them is pulling her up. It doesn't hurt that my district also recruits subject matter experts to teach. We have a winning combination.

Dd#2 will not be moved to the district I teach in in spite of the fact the graduation rate is closer to 75% in her school because she's one of the top students in the district and there is research to support that the top 10% do well no matter where you plant them because they are taking more difficult classes and track with a group of kids who are like minded as a result. While the high school she attends is lacking in many areas, it's not lacking for kids like her. Fortunately, it's a large district so they can offer classes on multiple levels. Dd just takes the ones on hers and is with the same group of kids for most of her classes as a result.

She'd do great, pretty much, no matter where I sent her (except for a really bad school (because of students not teachers) and then I just wouldn't send her to one). She'd do worse if I homeschooled her. I'm only a subject matter expert in math and science. I can't help her soar in English and social science. She needs teachers who are subject matter experts in those areas to help her do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,656 times
Quote:
Congratulations. The graduation rate in my district stands at 49%
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My condolences.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:20 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I would suggest moving (or getting a job in a better district and transferring your kids there like I did). One of the great things I see in my district is peer pressure. I moved my dd to the district I teach in last year and her grades have jumped, she has a more positive attitude about school and her goals are clearer. She now goes to school with kids who value education and are planning to go to college. Just being around them is pulling her up. It doesn't hurt that my district also recruits subject matter experts to teach. We have a winning combination.

Dd#2 will not be moved to the district I teach in in spite of the fact the graduation rate is closer to 75% in her school because she's one of the top students in the district and there is research to support that the top 10% do well no matter where you plant them because they are taking more difficult classes and track with a group of kids who are like minded as a result. While the high school she attends is lacking in many areas, it's not lacking for kids like her. Fortunately, it's a large district so they can offer classes on multiple levels. Dd just takes the ones on hers and is with the same group of kids for most of her classes as a result.

She'd do great, pretty much, no matter where I sent her (except for a really bad school (because of students not teachers) and then I just wouldn't send her to one). She'd do worse if I homeschooled her. I'm only a subject matter expert in math and science. I can't help her soar in English and social science. She needs teachers who are subject matter experts in those areas to help her do that.
No thanks. I'm pretty happy with and committed to homeschooling.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Quote:
I was asking to see the stats that Ivory was basing her post on. No need for you to respond unless you have those stats that show how homeschoolers are doing compared to school kids. I don't need for you to spell out anything for me.

I don't have a problem paying property taxes to support my local public schools. In fact I just voted for a slight tax increase to support the schools in my district.
Ok this isn't about homeschooling per se ~ but I think it's great you supported your local public school system even though your child is not attending the local school.

I wish everyone would do that - it's a hot issue here in my town.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:38 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
No thanks. I'm pretty happy with and committed to homeschooling.
Good for you. It appears to be working for your family. Carry on!

Old 12-04-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Ok this isn't about homeschooling per se ~ but I think it's great you supported your local public school system even though your child is not attending the local school.

I wish everyone would do that - it's a hot issue here in my town.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

(getting off topic)

I think it is a really hot issue in many places... It actually got me to start a relocation to an area that has no school system (unincorporated areas). I never have, nor ever will use the school system.

If you think it is so great, then we should ALL chip in the same to pay for the schools... (and maybe even tie the amount to the number of students you have in the public school system).

So I will start.. I dump $1500/month in property tax just to support the school system... Ringo1 and Dorthy... ready to match?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

(getting off topic)

I think it is a really hot issue in many places... It actually got me to start a relocation to an area that has no school system (unincorporated areas). I never have, nor ever will use the school system.

If you think it is so great, then we should ALL chip in the same to pay for the schools... (and maybe even tie the amount to the number of students you have in the public school system).

So I will start.. I dump $1500/month in property tax just to support the school system... Ringo1 and Dorthy... ready to match?
My condolences to you, SuperSparkle.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
My condolences to you, SuperSparkle.

Thank you, but none necessary.
When an individual, or group of people sees a broken system that does not appear to be recovering anytime soon... well, never throw good money after bad.
I have my solution, appears to be working well, and I and others close to me will (and currently do) fair well. I will no longer be paying for expenses caused by the acts of others, beyond my control. (Plus I can go fishing, sailing etc, whatever I want, whenever I want. Woo Hoo!

So you aren't willing to match? Geez... I thought you considered schooling important. I guess I missed that one.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Thank you, but none necessary.
When an individual, or group of people sees a broken system that does not appear to be recovering anytime soon... well, never throw good money after bad.
I have my solution, appears to be working well, and I and others close to me will (and currently do) fair well. I will no longer be paying for expenses caused by the acts of others, beyond my control. (Plus I can go fishing, sailing etc, whatever I want, whenever I want. Woo Hoo!

So you aren't willing to match? Geez... I thought you considered schooling important. I guess I missed that one.
I'm sorry that the property taxes are so high in your town in NH. It's not like that here. You pay more for schools then I pay for my mortgage each month. I can't imagine that anyone would be happy with taxes that high. The tax increase that I voted for will amount to less then $5 extra a month and it will go towards tearing down the current high school which has fallen into disrepair and building a new one. I might not have voted in favor of it if they had asked for more.

Best of luck on selling that house with those crazy high property taxes. We'll be out there doing whatever it is we want to do, whenever we want to do it as well since my kids won't be stuck in a school building all day. Three cheers for freedom!

Old 12-04-2011, 01:35 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,804 times
Quote:

have you found a way to avoid federal income tax, as well?? lol.

But good for you, having found something that works for you and yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education