Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:06 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You will not see them in sports, arts, entrepreneurships, finance, agriculture, general business and other key aspects of life like energy.
At our school there are many Asians and Indians in music. My son recently made the All County Orchestra and I just took at look at the list of kids that made the All County Orchestra from our school and 5 of the 8 middle schoolers were Asian/Indian. From the high school only 1 of 6 were Asian/Indian.

I wonder if music is something that Asian parents only let the younger kids study?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
At our school there are many Asians and Indians in music. My son recently made the All County Orchestra and I just took at look at the list of kids that made the All County Orchestra from our school and 5 of the 8 middle schoolers were Asian/Indian. From the high school only 1 of 6 were Asian/Indian.

I wonder if music is something that Asian parents only let the younger kids study?
Yes, I wish I could take you to the carnatic music workshops back home. You'll see droves of young Brahmin kids doing the Sa Re Ga Ma, the veena and the flute. While the girls will be taking up Barathanatyam dance classes

It's cultural and somewhat religious too. It's also believed that singing and musical notes enhances younger brains.

I don't know what to say. I miss the real Indians, those who hurl soda bottles at cops, cut classes and go to movies and break into brothels and Islamic women hostels. You can never see that here. They will all be lining up in the spelling bee contest

Cool Indians do not exist in America (except me). I always run into westerner wannabes.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:12 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
But the problem is the immigrants are rarely involved in classroom discussions or in clubs, sports, music or other non class options.
how is that a problem?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how is that a problem?
You do realize we all got sucked into another "Weekend Traveler" thread, don't you?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:16 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Thanks for clearing that up! I was certain this was the case.

What do you guys feel attribute to why Asians tend to generally be ahead of the class?
The stereotype of the tiger mom comes into play, though we are not Chinese. My parents came from a 3rd world country where education is highly regarded. In my country, the parents are highly responsible for raising their children. It's a duty not just to myself, but the whole family and community of our race. It's not entirely the same way that Americans see it but it's the same idea. Being born here, it wouldn't matter if I was still "American". I was still raised with Asian parents to follow their views and attitudes. Again Asian parents are very conservative and much more strict than Americans. They have power and must be treated with respect from their children. Also, there are not very many good opportunities in my parents home country and and if anything, they lack behind US/world standards. So they come here raising kids to take advantage of these opportunities as much as possible.

But there is always a rule to the exception. I'm not very good at math but I want to pursue into IT. Lots of cultures can succeed in their own way but I can understand why people highly regard Asians and their path to succeed.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
At my kids High School the top students are always the Asian immmigrants. Usually they are the girls and usually they are from China, Korea or India. 8 out of 10 of the top students are girls.

But the problem is the immigrants are rarely involved in classroom discussions or in clubs, sports, music or other non class options.

Is this true in your school?

Are "immigrants" the top students at your High School?
Not entirely but some of them were born here to immigrant parents.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

The Suzuki music method is embraced by many Asian Americans (and non-Asians as well). This method encourages kids to start lessons very early (at 3 even) and follow a very strict practice regiment. Students follow a sequence in the Suzuki books and must perfectly play a piece (as it is written including fingering) and are not allowed to progress to the next piece until this is done. Creative interpretation of pieces (e.g. changing key, tempo, fingering) is frowned upon. The child should learn the piece exactly as it is written in the official book and should not deviate from it. They are also supposed to constantly be listening to this same piece on the Suzuki CD.

My kids started with this method but it was killing their love for music. They actually left the program to start a rock band which gave them more creative freedom. They are now back in orchestra again and doing very well, but a high proportion of the Suzuki students have dropped out. I think they were burned out from the method. But our teachers were very critical and hardcore on the Suzuki method. Maybe there are more flexible Suzuki methods out there that have better longterm results.

BTW, the Kumon math method has a very similar format of relentless repetition before progression to new topics (drill & kill). There are many benefits to Suzuki and Kumon, but building a love for the subject matter and encouraging creative thought is not one of them IMO.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:53 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
In my district, there seem to be many more Indians kids involved in team sports (e.g. basketball, soccer, running) than the Korean, Chinese, or Japanese students who I rarely see in organized team sports. I'm not sure why that happens. I think involvement in team sports in highly beneficial to developing teamwork/leadership skills. Many of the Indian kids I know seem really successful in balancing a lot of things - academics, sports, music, social life, etc.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:40 PM

940 posts, read 1,935,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
In my district, there seem to be many more Indians kids involved in team sports (e.g. basketball, soccer, running) than the Korean, Chinese, or Japanese students who I rarely see in organized team sports. I'm not sure why that happens. I think involvement in team sports in highly beneficial to developing teamwork/leadership skills. Many of the Indian kids I know seem really successful in balancing a lot of things - academics, sports, music, social life, etc.
Because they are home doing homework! My guess is their parents would view it as a waist of time that takes away from the studying - like previously said, too much focus on one area comes at a cost of missing out on other things.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:50 PM

940 posts, read 1,935,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Thanks for clearing that up! I was certain this was the case.

What do you guys feel attribute to why Asians tend to generally be ahead of the class?
Like it was mentioned - it's the opportunities, which are lacking in the countries they left behind. Even though the US has seen it's better days, compared to other countries in the world, it offers a higher average standard of living and an opportunity to improve one's socioeconomic status or achieve success in any field they choose, if they are willing to study and work hard.

The chance to move to the US for these people is like winning a lottery, and not trying hard would be like not cashing in your ticket!

This is why it's disconcerting to see when people who were born here don't realize how good they have it and take these opportunities for granted...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education