Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,844 times

Advertisements

At my kids High School the top students are always the Asian immmigrants. Usually they are the girls and usually they are from China, Korea or India. 8 out of 10 of the top students are girls.

But the problem is the immigrants are rarely involved in classroom discussions or in clubs, sports, music or other non class options.

Is this true in your school?

Are "immigrants" the top students at your High School?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
No, we just have AMERICANS at the top of their respective classess...

Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
nope

Old 12-06-2011, 09:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
No. In the past few years the top students have all be US Citizens of various ethnic descent--some Irish, some Scandinavian, some Asian, some African.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:30 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Not the case at all in my local district.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
At my kids High School the top students are always the Asian immmigrants. Usually they are the girls and usually they are from China, Korea or India. 8 out of 10 of the top students are girls.

But the problem is the immigrants are rarely involved in classroom discussions or in clubs, sports, music or other non class options.

One reason this may be the case is the smartest Asians immigrated to the US. The wealthy, educated Asians. The Asians on the far right side of the bell curve. The median or below Asian is still in Asia picking rice. Those right side Asians are being compared with the whole bell curve of Americans and the left side Hispanics.

The left side of the bell curve Hispanics move to the US. The poor, uneducated, agrarian background Hispanics. Not too many Hispanic PhDs, engineers, and scientists move to the US compared to the poor uneducated ones.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,552 times
Nope. And in fact my son, who is in middle school and of Mexican descent beat out most high school students in the SAT this past year He was in the 7th grade when he took it just for fun He is not an immigrant though. He is American.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Nope.
"Nope" what?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post

My kids are in the G&T program and there is a higher proportion of kids from China, Korea, India who are the top students. Many are the kids of the engineers/doctors who immigrated to work at the big intl. engineering or pharma companies in my area. I am friends with many of the parents and know that some of these kids study at least 4 hours every night and also attend a separate weekend school with additional academic requirements (e.g. they also take math & language classes at the "Japanese School"). Or, they are often enrolled in a tutoring/SAT prep class such as Kumon. They are involved in clubs & sports but it seems to be predominantly certain types (e.g. string orchestra, math club, robotics club, figure skating). Many are also fluent in 3+ languages (e.g. English, Mandarin, Japanese, Spanish, etc.) which is really quite impressive. I know this all sounds like a stereotype, but it is a trend I see in our schools with, of course, many exceptions.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:30 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"Nope" what?
Answering the OP. Nope we don't have immigrants as the overachievers in our high schools either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education