Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:31 PM

93,294 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

I was just reading some information about Montessori schools and it how they came about. I was wondering why there aren't more of these schools within public school districts, given the history behind such schools and the results of the schools in the communities it could help? This particular article got me thinking about this: Dr. Montessori : A Historical Perspective

Even if it can't be done for say all of the schools in an urban district, why not have such schools as an option within the public system, especially at the elementary level?

I believe the same thing could be said about this method of education as well: Why Waldorf Works - What is Waldorf Education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 01:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was just reading some information about Montessori schools and it how they came about. I was wondering why there aren't more of these schools within public school districts, given the history behind such schools and the results of the schools in the communities it could help? This particular article got me thinking about this: Dr. Montessori : A Historical Perspective

Even if it can't be done for say all of the schools in an urban district, why not have such schools as an option within the public system, especially at the elementary level?

I believe the same thing could be said about this method of education as well: Why Waldorf Works - What is Waldorf Education?
I like Montessori, but a traditional Montessori school needs teachers trained in the method and there are not that many of them. There are public Montessori schools, just not as many as we might like.

Waldorf is a cult. It is based on Rudolph Steiner's beliefs and is seriously warped. They won't tell you about it though.

The Cult ?

Quote:
It is difficult to say how you define a cult but I will say this. When you join a Waldorf School they are not open with you about their true purpose. They will tell you as much as they think you will accept. Then gradually they indoctrinate you with their ideas.

I think the word indoctrinate is justified because they put great pressure on you to conform. Free thinking is just not allowed. Most importantly is their attitude towards television, computers, pop music etc. All of these are forbidden to the children. If you allow your children to watch television you are made to feel guilty. If you allow them to play with plastic toys, you are made to feel guilty.

I feel this is different from expressing opinions. I often disagree with friends, but I do not try to make them feel guilty. Nor do I insist I am right. This sort of non judgemental attidude is simply not tolerated at a Waldorf School. They ARE right. The is no other alternative. It goes on and on until you either agree or appear to do so.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:04 PM

Interesting information about Waldorf Schools. I am still wondering as to why the method of Montessori schools aren't taught as a possible teaching method for schools in academia? it is due to economic reasons or are politics in the way?

Old 12-26-2011, 02:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting information about Waldorf Schools. I am still wondering as to why the method of Montessori schools aren't taught as a possible teaching method for schools in academia? it is due to economic reasons or are politics in the way?
Not sure why the mainstream schools don't teach Montessori. Montessori would require a restructuring of the schools though. I suspect this is the main obstacle to having many Montessori Public schools. How many parents would be upset when their kids were not coming home with grades?

Principles include:
1. Multiage grouping
2. Very little lecturing
3. All subjects are interwoven. You don't teach subjects separately.
4. No grades. No rewards or punishments are used.
5. Character education is integrated into the school.
6. No required group work.
7. Setting up the environment is important, not guiding children's choices.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:40 PM

What happens in terms of teaching just for an exam, there are different learning abilities in the same classroom, you don't maximize or realize the potential of the students or teachers become disenterested? Again, I wouldn't say to do this for all or most schools, but it could be a legitimate option.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:01 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Not sure why the mainstream schools don't teach Montessori. Montessori would require a restructuring of the schools though. I suspect this is the main obstacle to having many Montessori Public schools. How many parents would be upset when their kids were not coming home with grades?

Principles include:
1. Multiage grouping
2. Very little lecturing
3. All subjects are interwoven. You don't teach subjects separately.
4. No grades. No rewards or punishments are used.
5. Character education is integrated into the school.
6. No required group work.
7. Setting up the environment is important, not guiding children's choices.
Well, then these kids need to function in the real world after spending their life in Montessori where you do get lectured and need to be able to sit through presentations, your performance at work is "graded", rewards and punishment happen for everyone, group work is key to most every work environment....

Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 AM

346 posts, read 507,479 times
When we moved to a new town, my daughter was 3 years old an I was looking for a mothers morning out program so I could work a few times a week in our small business. All those programs had waiting lists, so I looked at a small, well-regarded Montessori school. We had an interview after the program had let out and there were these wooden toys and manipulatives all around the room on shelves. My daughter headed straight for one of these and the "headmistress" scolded her right away about it not being the proper time to touch the toys. I could not see leaving my sweet little girl with this cold woman for hours on end. There could have been so many other first impressions, but the one she gave me was "cold" "rigid" "not creative". Compare that to the day care I looked into (and I really dislike day care) where the "teacher" welcomed my daughter effusively, was all warm and fuzzy, she said "hi" to her well before giving me the time of day, and that's where my daughter ended up two mornings a week....

After all I had read about Montessori I had a really hard time even believing our experience had happened the way it did....

Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Montessori does have its rigid aspects. Some of it is also not research based, e.g. expecting babies to hold their own bottles as soon as possible.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:02 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, then these kids need to function in the real world after spending their life in Montessori where you do get lectured and need to be able to sit through presentations, your performance at work is "graded", rewards and punishment happen for everyone, group work is key to most every work environment....
To be honest, half of my students would do NOTHING if there weren't a grade on the line and the other half would do very little. The little they would do would be to avoid boredom. Seriously, I'd have to let my students play on their phones just to keep control of the classroom. How do you make a student do anything when there's nothing in it for them? And no, they are not, intrinsically, motivated to learn what we teach in school. It's not like the olden days when you learned a trade you could apply immedicately and saw the benefit of what you were learning right away. It will be years before my students see the benefit in what I teach and most of it they will not need.

What would students choose to learn if they were given the choice? Whould they choose to learn math? Chemistry? Biology? Physics? How far would they choose to go in English? Writing? Reading?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
To be honest, half of my students would do NOTHING if there weren't a grade on the line and the other half would do very little. The little they would do would be to avoid boredom. Seriously, I'd have to let my students play on their phones just to keep control of the classroom. How do you make a student do anything when there's nothing in it for them? And no, they are not, intrinsically, motivated to learn what we teach in school. It's not like the olden days when you learned a trade you could apply immedicately and saw the benefit of what you were learning right away. It will be years before my students see the benefit in what I teach and most of it they will not need.

What would students choose to learn if they were given the choice? Whould they choose to learn math? Chemistry? Biology? Physics? How far would they choose to go in English? Writing? Reading?
Does ANYONE do anything without something on the line? Would you do your job for free? Would you mow your lawn if social pressure didn't dictate otherwise .

If kids got the choice, and in most good schools they DO have a lot of choice once they get to high school, they will chose classes that interest them. Next year our son is planning on taking 2 math classes, AP Calc BC and AP Stats) and CIS Physics if he can get around the PE credit he was supposed to take this year but couldn't get it worked into his schedule--which won't be an issue but I think it is funny. Our DD is taking the same Calc and Physics classes along with another science class yet to be determined. If they didn't have to take an English class this year they would not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education