Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:36 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,965,103 times

Advertisements

In an earlier thread--someone was lamenting the fact that education was "mandatory." What do you think?? would it be better for kids for the age to be higher or lower?? Should there be no such law whatsoever??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 12:37 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,965,103 times
Default maybe this is in the wrong forum

But it is of major importance to parents.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,324,839 times
it should be mandatory yes.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:42 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,221,476 times
It would be nice if people would actually take advantage of the "free" education being offered. They might not end up poor and hating the rich if they would put a little effort into becoming literate and motivated individuals...

OH

Wait.

I'm dreaming.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:46 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,991,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
In an earlier thread--someone was lamenting the fact that education was "mandatory." What do you think?? would it be better for kids for the age to be higher or lower?? Should there be no such law whatsoever??
I don't think you should be able to drop out of high school at all, I think you would have to at least get your diploma.
Or it should be mandatory until you are 18. THEN you can decided if you want to drop out but hopefully by 18 you'll be done with school.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:46 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,867,114 times
I believe that government should keep their hands out of a lot of things, and one of those is education (in some terms). I don't think that any child should be mandated to go to school. Education shouldn't be freely given to anyone, that's why there's a huge college bubble right now.

If someone wants an education, they should be able to work and provide it for themselves. Just like if you spoil your child, he or she won't go too far because they'll be use to having things given to them.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I believe that government should keep their hands out of a lot of things, and one of those is education (in some terms). I don't think that any child should be mandated to go to school. Education shouldn't be freely given to anyone, that's why there's a huge college bubble right now.

If someone wants an education, they should be able to work and provide it for themselves. Just like if you spoil your child, he or she won't go too far because they'll be use to having things given to them.
Oh little susie you're 5 years old but get your ass to work so you can afford kindergarten!!!

Mhmm.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:55 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,324,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Oh little susie you're 5 years old but get your ass to work so you can afford kindergarten!!!

Mhmm.

~rolls on the floor~

Old 12-31-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post

I'm sorry but what soviet hole did you crawl out of?

College is not free. And children SHOULD be educated.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
~rolls on the floor~
Those crayons sure are costly but hey I should make her work for them after all education shouldn't be free. I think for her first christmas, she'll get a My Little Sweatshop so she knows what she's in for until she can get a real job at 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education