Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are better?
Public schools 14 27.45%
Private schools 37 72.55%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What about college prep academies? Around here non religious private schools are really the "cream of the crop" not the Catholic/Christian/Jewish schools.
We don't have very many of those. My kids did just fine with their "pubic school" educations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:27 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We don't have very many of those. My kids did just fine with their "pubic school" educations.
My husband and I also did well with our public school education. However, we feel our kids will do better with a private school education. It's not a knock on anyone else.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,236 times
Quote:
What about college prep academies? Around here non religious private schools are really the "cream of the crop" not the Catholic/Christian/Jewish schools.
The county I used to live in has one main high school that is private but non-religious. It is also extremely expensive, as in over $20,000. If you're paying that much for high school, it better be a darn good school. However, the public schools in that area are also very good. The other top high schools are either in the very wealthy areas, test in public high schools ( I know of one in particular which is supposed to be very good and in one of the poorest cities with usually terrible high schools), or the Catholic high schools. If you live in that county and can't get into one of those options, you are pretty much relegated to a very sub-par education.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
The closest private school to where I live (Maryland suburb just north of DC) charges more than $26K per year. I can only imagine what they teach there. But that figure just blows my mind.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The county I used to live in has one main high school that is private but non-religious. It is also extremely expensive, as in over $20,000. If you're paying that much for high school, it better be a darn good school. However, the public schools in that area are also very good. The other top high schools are either in the very wealthy areas, test in public high schools ( I know of one in particular which is supposed to be very good and in one of the poorest cities with usually terrible high schools), or the Catholic high schools. If you live in that county and can't get into one of those options, you are pretty much relegated to a very sub-par education.
Private college prep schools are about $20K per year around here. Religious private schools are around half that. I think one of the reasons why private college prep schools are so popular around here is the poor performance of the public schools.

There are 4 secular college prep (PK-12) schools in my county. There are 4 Catholic high schools,a whole bunch of Christian/Jewish schools and 12 charter schools that have HS students (there are other charters with only younger kids). As you can see there are many alternatives to the poor public high schools in my county. Mostly because people want them.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:59 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
My husband and I also did well with our public school education. However, we feel our kids will do better with a private school education. It's not a knock on anyone else.
My kids would be at a private prep school if we lived in your state as well. If you lived here you would probably see what we are talking about and would be very happy with the public schools here.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
There's two private schools which I would choose. One has a day tuition of $30,560/year and a boarding tuition of $44,420. The other has a day tuition of $35,000/year and a boarding tuition of $45,000/year.

It doesn't seem out of reach.

Last edited by NJBest; 01-09-2012 at 03:23 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
My kids would be at a private prep school if we lived in your state as well. If you lived here you would probably see what we are talking about and would be very happy with the public schools here.
If we didn't feel that we needed to spend the money on our kids education we would not do it. Although we have some money we do not have unlimited funds and we could definitely find another use for the money we are currently spending on tuition.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's two private schools which I would choose. One has a day tuition of $30,560/year and a boarding tuition of $44,420. The other has a day tuition of $35,000/year while the other has $45,000/year.

It doesn't seem out of reach.
Maybe in another lifetime. I wouldn't spend those amounts even if they guaranteed a slot into Harvard.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:18 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,444,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, please! Do not imply that parents who send their kids to public schools don't care about their kids' education.

I can't count the number of PhDs I'm related to. The closest is my husband, a PhD physicist who is a product of the Omaha Public Schools. Next in closeness is my daughter, who has a Doctorate of Physical Therapy, a product of the Boulder Valley (CO) public schools. I have several relatives with PhDs who were university professors; one was president of a seminary. (He had a PhD in biology, BTW.) MDs? Not so much. The men in my family (and until recently it was mostly men who went into medicine) tended more towards the science/engineering fields. Which reminds me, one of my cousins has a PhD in engineering. He is the product of the Beaver Falls (PA) public schools. My dad had an uncle who was an MD in the "good old days" of medicine, though he did have a degree from the University of Pittsburgh Medical School, which has always been one of the top medical schools in the country. That is where I got my nursing degree as well. Rhodes Scholars? I honestly don't know. I could go on. I have never heard that any of these people went to anything but public shcools for K-12.

Now my grandparents were very modest people; none of them even graduated from high school but all of them wanted the best for their kids, and all their kids got some higher education.

More important than who I am related to IMO is my own accomplishments. What is YOUR educational background?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Do not imply that parents who send their kids to public schools don't care about their kids' education."

I am not implying anything. Just stating that the best educations do not come cheap.

Quote:"The closest is my husband, a PhD physicist"

Nice. My father was a PhD in physics. His advisor was Phil Morrison. (Go look it up.. it is called the 'Manhattan Project').

Quote:"though he did have a degree from the University of Pittsburgh Medical School, which has always been one of the top medical schools in the country."

Well, 14th. We never went to ones lower than 5th.

Quote:"Now my grandparents were very modest people; none of them even graduated from high school but all of them wanted the best for their kids, and all their kids got some higher education."

My grandmother became a math professor in 1913.

My direct relatives each run the most prestigious medical research labs in the US.

Quote:"What is YOUR educational background?"

All I will state, to keep anonymity, is that I have more degrees than a thermometer, from the best schools in the US. Hint: one in Cambridge MA, one in Palo Alto CA, and a few others. And the private schools served me well enough that I no longer had to work since I was in my early 40's. Now I donate all my time to helping others, and my resources to help others in need.

Quote:"More important than who I am related to IMO is my own accomplishments."

Not worth my time to compare accomplishments with you, unless you can drum up the number of medical patents you have that have saved many lives, or the contributions to help others around us (in a very significant way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education