Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times

Advertisements

Child labor would work wonders here. Back in my day if you didn't want to work all day long on the farm doing hard labor then you went to school. Believe me, we liked school a whole lot better and did our best. The farm allowed me to see what the rest of my life would be like without an education. It works better when you really understand, not just when someone tells you.
Some kids liked the farm work, well, at least we had some to work the farm. It all worked out quite well actually. Some of the countries that pump out better students simply know what it's like to work hard as youths and are educating themselves to free themselves from that. I don't think American kids realize this until it's just a little bit late.
When I taught back in the day I saw more kids that knew this. Things are so cheap here and easy to get with little money. It's more expensive other places and you simply don't get it all for next to nothin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 12:02 AM

831 posts, read 680,432 times
This country does NOT need to change its education for kids to get a good education.

This country does not need to waste time and resources for those terrible kids from terrible families.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:34 PM

345 posts, read 994,409 times
Do Finland and the asian countries have the diversity in schools that we do? Do their students speak dozens of languages in each school?

Our educational system has many problems with many people to blame. However, at some point, all interested parties have to agree on a way forward because we're sinking fast.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post
Do Finland and the asian countries have the diversity in schools that we do? Do their students speak dozens of languages in each school?

Our educational system has many problems with many people to blame. However, at some point, all interested parties have to agree on a way forward because we're sinking fast.
While Finland does not have the diversity of ethnicities and cultures that are present in the US, they still have their share of immigrants.

NEA - What we can learn from Finland’s successful school reform

Quote:
Once poorly ranked educationally, with a turgid bureaucratic system that produced low-quality education and large inequalities, it now ranks first among all the OECD nations (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development—roughly, the so-called “developed” nations) on the PISA (Program for International Student Assessments), an international test for 15-year-olds in language, math, and science literacy. The country also boasts a highly equitable distribution of achievement, even for its growing share of immigrant students.
Quote:
The overall variation in achievement among Finnish students is also smaller than that of nearly all the other OECD countries. This is true despite the fact that immigration from nations with lower levels of education has increased sharply in recent years, and there is more linguistic and cultural diversity for schools to contend with. One recent analysis notes that in some urban schools the number of immigrant children or those whose mother tongue is not Finnish approaches 50 percent.

Although most immigrants are still from places like Sweden, the most rapidly growing newcomer groups since 1990 have been from Afghanistan, Bosnia, India, Iran, Iraq, Serbia, Somalia, Turkey, Thailand, and Vietnam. These new immigrants speak more than 60 languages. Yet achievement has been climbing in Finland and growing more equitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education