Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:14 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

My boy and I were watching the "Arrow of Light" Ceremony this week, when all the senior Cub Scout (Webelo 2s) crossed over the bridge into Boy Scouts. A big, solemn ceremony. Way cool. All the boys had earned a bunch of excellent awards on the home stretch, and my son (2nd grade Wolf Cub) was transfixed. He wanted to earn all those pins and patches NOW. Very motivated! Far more than he is for schoolwork these days. I have been thinking that Scouting is a great way for boys and girls to learn how to form goals, learn skills, and take pride in themselves. A terrific education for life.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 03:13 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
That's kind of been the point of Scouts all along.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I think it depends on the den and pack the kids end up in. When our kids were in scouts it was horrible. The leaders were unprepared, had no discipline over the kids, didn't encourage the kids to get their badges, etc. I remember back when I was in girl scouts. The leaders we had were fantastic, put a lot of time and effort into teaching us things. They stepped down after their daughters were done and 2 months into the new leader everyone quit because she was awful.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 AM

831 posts, read 680,542 times
Not meaning to crash your thread, but my kids found the Young Marine's to be a Lot more fun, intense and disciplined than scouts. Best part for any Young Marine is boot camp.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:42 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
My children benefited greatly from Scouts. My older two kids stayed in it until they graduated from HS and my oldest son is an Eagle Scout. My youngest quit in MS, more due to his personal interest then any problems with the troop. I agree with golfgirl that the leadership is key. My husband and I also enjoyed participating with the packs and troops. They always need more adult help.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I did Girl Scouts through the Brownie and Girl Scout levels...we had a bridging ceremony, too. I didn't stay in past jr. high, though.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
I love scouts! My mother and I are both Gold Award recipients. I'm my daughter's Girl Scout leader and I'm having a great time with it! We have lots of fun activities and go on field trips often.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Don't get me wrong. I did scouts and both my sons did it, and we're better for it. However, I think the education component of it is a little overblown. What's more, I think what can happen is that a kid's activity gets taken over by agenda-driven adults.

My older son got in it because he just enjoyed the social aspects of it. The problem was with his troop. It was a troop whose express purpose was to churn out Eagle Scouts. It was a troop that took pride in the percentage of its scouts reached that rank, and it was expressly stated in every single meeting. The kids, upon their crossing over ceremony from Webelo to Boy Scouts, were given a big binder in which they were to map out their Eagle Scout progress. Every meeting was capped by a lecture on how important it was to become an Eagle Scout. And my son, who just didn't give a rip, was constantly being badgered about it by some well-meaning scoutmaster. He finally got tired of it and dropped out. As he put it, "All I wanted to do is go camping." And we weren't alone. Other parents had kids drop out for the same reasons.

So, while I think of scouting in positive terms, I really do think that parents and scoutmasters alike need to have a healthy perspective on the activity. It is not a way to pad the résumé for college. It is not a way to climb the corporate ladder, so to speak. It is not a miniature paramilitary organization. It is a way for kids to enjoy fellowship, the encouragement of some good examples for behavior and, if they're particularly motivated in live, acquire some useful knowledge and skills. And it is definitely not a way for adult men to live vicariously through the achievements of their sons.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Don't get me wrong. I did scouts and both my sons did it, and we're better for it. However, I think the education component of it is a little overblown. What's more, I think what can happen is that a kid's activity gets taken over by agenda-driven adults.

My older son got in it because he just enjoyed the social aspects of it. The problem was with his troop. It was a troop whose express purpose was to churn out Eagle Scouts. It was a troop that took pride in the percentage of its scouts reached that rank, and it was expressly stated in every single meeting. The kids, upon their crossing over ceremony from Webelo to Boy Scouts, were given a big binder in which they were to map out their Eagle Scout progress. Every meeting was capped by a lecture on how important it was to become an Eagle Scout. And my son, who just didn't give a rip, was constantly being badgered about it by some well-meaning scoutmaster. He finally got tired of it and dropped out. As he put it, "All I wanted to do is go camping." And we weren't alone. Other parents had kids drop out for the same reasons.

So, while I think of scouting in positive terms, I really do think that parents and scoutmasters alike need to have a healthy perspective on the activity. It is not a way to pad the résumé for college. It is not a way to climb the corporate ladder, so to speak. It is not a miniature paramilitary organization. It is a way for kids to enjoy fellowship, the encouragement of some good examples for behavior and, if they're particularly motivated in live, acquire some useful knowledge and skills. And it is definitely not a way for adult men to live vicariously through the achievements of their sons.
Great points. I really like the fact that the kids learn how to set goals and chase the next pin, badge,etc. However, I see you point that being overly achievement oriented could kill the experience for kids. I am in it for the boy, and I want to help, but I'll try to also help make the whole experience fun.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
My boy and I were watching the "Arrow of Light" Ceremony this week, when all the senior Cub Scout (Webelo 2s) crossed over the bridge into Boy Scouts. A big, solemn ceremony. Way cool. All the boys had earned a bunch of excellent awards on the home stretch, and my son (2nd grade Wolf Cub) was transfixed. He wanted to earn all those pins and patches NOW. Very motivated! Far more than he is for schoolwork these days. I have been thinking that Scouting is a great way for boys and girls to learn how to form goals, learn skills, and take pride in themselves. A terrific education for life.

What do you think?
My son was in a Cub Scout program that was okay before we moved. He now is in a very active Boy Scout troop. They are winter camping this weekend and will be going to a winter camping jamboree in a few weeks.

My daughter went with me to pick my son up from his weekly meeting last week and was quite impressed at the leadership and speaking abilities of some of the senior scouts who were running the meeting. She commented that she wished that Girl Scouts was as strong a program as the Boy Scouts. She was in the Girl Scouts but by middle school the program was pretty much done in most places even though there are programs for girls through 17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education