Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

My parents learned to read in the 50s with Dick and Jane, and their dog Spot. But in the 70s, I learned to read with Ted and Jan, and their dog Pug.

Does anyone else remember this series of reading books? I looked them up, and they all seem to be written by a Theodore Lester Harris.

I remember these titles, but not sure of the exact order they came in. We went through a few books in each grade.

Pug
Sun Tree
Zip, Pop, Go
Green Feet
Blue Dilly Dilly
Curbstone Dragons
Mustard Seed Magic
Mysterious Wisteria (this is when the books started looking a little "trippy" with that cool 60s-70s cover art)
Air Pudding and Wind Sauce (Mr. Harris must have done acid, I guess)
Cinnamon Peaks
Silver Twist

This was all from 1st grade to about 6th grade. I clearly remember the first three, Pug, Sun Tree, and Zip Pop Go being from 1st grade.

I found pictures of some of these books online and they brought back all sorts of memories! The characters in the very early books were Ted, Jan, and Pug.

I think in the later years, maybe 4th or 5th grade, one of these books had a cast on ongoing characters called the "Dopple Gang." It was some kids and a man named Mr. Dopple. There was some play on the word "doppleganger," and someone turned out to be a twin or double of someone else. Through the whole book, the one character Sherry was always referred to as "Little Sherry, age 10" and none of us could understand why. Then the punchline to the joke came at the end of the book (at the end of the year) when we learned that Sherry had lied about her age and never actually was 10.

Does anyone else remember these reading books? It couldn't have just been my little NJ school district that had them. If not, what readers did you learn with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Do I remember them? My school still has some that are simlar to them and I have used them...

Old 01-14-2012, 02:50 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
In the 1980s and early 90s I worked at a school that still had old copies on the shelf. I liked some of the stories and did have the kids use them some. Our main series was . . . hmm. Lippincott? Anyway, the titles were

G1: Starting Out, Exploring, Reaching Higher
G2: Jumping Up, Rolling Along
G3: Zooming Ahead, Sailing Along
G4-6: Taking Off, Soaring, Flying High

Some of the stories weren't great, but the early books (through second grade) presented phonics in an organized and sensible manner. I really liked them.

But in the late 60s and early 70s the schools I attended used Janet and Mark, Outdoors and In, . . . Around the Corner, . . . . The earliest pre-primers had little pictures instead of words that hadn't been learned yet.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:29 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I have a very vague memory of reading books with a dog in them (maybe Pug?). I remember sitting in a circle during reading group and taking turns reading out loud.

I also remember the SRAs and advancing from one color to the next but I remember nothing about any of the stories.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:07 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
Are they the Sullivan books? If so, I LOVED them! The advanced ones had mythology, etc...

Old 01-17-2012, 02:10 AM

1 posts, read 30,162 times
you remind me about my school days...

Old 01-22-2012, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 65,768 times
I do! I was just searching for these online. I wish I could find a picture of them. I remember using them in 1st grade. This was a tiny town of 200 in Arkansas.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:52 PM

3 posts, read 65,768 times
Thank you so much! I had tried Google, but had not been able to find the one just called "Pug". I found it in one of your links. And your links also reminded me of others I had, like "Blue Dilly Dilly" and "Green Feet".

Old 01-23-2012, 08:54 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Yes, I had found the images too, but also couldn't find Pug, the one that meant the most to me. I remember the puppy, Pug, on the cover, and how with that book I went from "sounding-out and kind-of reading" like I did ij kindergarten, to "really reading" fluently with that book in first grade.

Isn't it funny how hippie-trippy the books look to us today? So much stuff for kids in the early 70s was in that hippie-trippy style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education