Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:40 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post

First off, just because the teachers and administrators are put in charge of the students does NOT mean they are their parents or guardian. They don't need to act like a parent, they just need to act like a teacher. It's okay to take privilages away from them, give them detention, or yell at them like a responsible person would do. But that does not mean teachers have to be their parents.
Sorry kiddo but the above statement is just plain old WRONG.

The courts in the country have clearly established that teachers are in fact to "act in place of parents" when they are in charge of students.

In loco parentis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
He must have gotten detention.

I for one am tired of the kids on here complaining that can't go wee whenever they want. Most of my jobs as an adult you couldn't, either.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:18 PM

173 posts, read 353,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Sorry kiddo but the above statement is just plain old WRONG.

The courts in the country have clearly established that teachers are in fact to "act in place of parents" when they are in charge of students.

In loco parentis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I said they didn't need to be in 'act in place of parents' when they are in charge of students. The courts apparentally wanted school to be a mandatory babysitting service.

Also, I'm not on detention. This is actually based on the detentions I had when I was in middle school.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:39 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
I said they didn't need to be in 'act in place of parents' when they are in charge of students. The courts apparentally wanted school to be a mandatory babysitting service.

Also, I'm not on detention. This is actually based on the detentions I had when I was in middle school.
So you would prefer that teachers had no authority to discipline students??

Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:

I cannot understand what you are trying to say.

What does the bolded part mean?

I am not sure why you are bringing up detention either.

To be very honest I find your posts almost incomprehensible.

But again teacher are LEGALLY MANDATED to act in a parental manner when children are placed in their care.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The federal government is the problem with our schools, not the solution.

When they give out money for various programs they attach their rules, and always with a "one size fits all" approach. Such as the failed "No student left behind" program. Education should be totally up to the individual states, and
the states can determine how much to leave up to the local districts.

The politically correct practices of mixing students of all capabilities, primary languages and disabilities in to the same class result in severe disadvantages to all students. Those that are struggling do not get enough attention, those that are more advanced are not challenged and become bored. Grouping by ability/performance level, abandoned in the 1980s allowed the whole class to progress at the same speed. Those slower learners would have smaller class sizes, to provide more individual attention. This was called "tracking" and labeled as bad for self-esteem, but the alternative has proven worse as more students at all ability levels are failing.
This is exactly right. How is a teacher supposed to teach when students are at such academically different levels. Nobody benefits, everyone loses. It was supposed to help the self-esteem of lower level kids, but it just shows them how far behind they are compared to other students. The smarter kids are not challenged because they find the material so easy. People keep questioning why are schools are behind so many foreign countries and this is one of the biggest reasons. We need to challenge all students and push them as far as their ability allows.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I teach 11th graders. You'd be surprised what I can decipher....
Ok. I teach 3rd graders and often they make more sense.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
It seems that the education system in the USA is broken. Yes, it's broken. But my concern is: Why isn't the government doing anything about it?

This is not a rant, but more of a concern.

Schools in the USA are broken because they are known to serve as 'prisons' where students are yelled at, unfairly punished, and restricted to do physical and emotional things such as using the restroom or eating.

The USA government apparently doesn't give no flying nose horn about this and just letting schools be as useless as a day treatment.

They were pretty illogical to make school the In loco parentis of students. This means that they think that teachers are the student's parents while they are in school JUST because they're adults.

School is also known to be a free, mandatory, babysitting service where students are forced to learn useless subjects and if they don't do what they're teacher say, they are scolded and punished.

First off, just because the teachers and administrators are put in charge of the students does NOT mean they are their parents or guardian. They don't need to act like a parent, they just need to act like a teacher. It's okay to take privilages away from them, give them detention, or yell at them like a responsible person would do. But that does not mean teachers have to be their parents.

Teachers are not special, not superior, and not any better than students. They have never made it illegal to make stupid and pointless school rules or made a list of technical rights student has. Not even my school distruct did this, (except made a students bill of rights).

Then, they don't give no crap about how useless the subjects are. I mean, the subject itself may not be useless. But there are some lessons associated with Math, History, Social Studies, Reading, and Science students don't need. They don't seem to be attempting to fix the education system.

It's bad enough Barrack Obama attempted to extend the school year (LOL WUT), thinking students will behave better and turn in more work. No, there is ways to fix the education system and get students to do their work without extending the school year or day. Extending it will just make it worse.

So can someone tell me: Why isn't the federal government doing ANYTHING to try to fix the education system? Again, this is NOT a rant, but more of a concern.
I understand your post, but a little background:

Eisenhower had a plan to reform schools
Kennedy had a plan.
Johnson had a plan.
Nixon had a plan.
Ford, mercifully, didn't have a plan.
Carter had a plan.
Reagan had a plan.
Bush I had a plan.
Clinton had a plan.
Bush II had a plan.
Obama had a plan.

All have poured additional billions into education and not really done much good. What's more, the United States spends a higher percentage of its GDP on education than any other industrialized nation by a good margin: Total expenditure as % of GDP statistics - Countries compared - NationMaster

So if education spending per student has doubled after inflation over the past 25 years, then we know funding isn't the problem.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:21 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
I'm not dropping out. My schooling is fine, but the way the education system in the USA is corrupted.

I think they should at least try to improve the education system, or at least annouce if it is even possible to fix it.

They tried.

It's called No Child Left Behind (although truthfully, it would be better suited to be named: Every Child Left Behind as far as I can tell from simple observation).

In 1983, the government published a foolhardy (IMHO anyway) report called A Nation At Risk: The Imperative for Educational Reform.

Back then, the government was in a lather about the quality of education too.

In the 1950s, the US government was in a panic about our students sliding behind Russia in Math and Technology.

So you see, the government has a long history of 'doing something' about education. Namely (IMO) screwing it up.

Be careful what you wish for. You may just get it.

Last edited by cebdark; 01-15-2012 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 AM

178 posts, read 332,223 times
Maybe they should cut taxes and cancel school. Force the parents to home school. Use the tax money for a tutor if needed. Or maybe all schools online...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education