Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:59 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
I said they didn't need to be in 'act in place of parents' when they are in charge of students. The courts apparentally wanted school to be a mandatory babysitting service.

Also, I'm not on detention. This is actually based on the detentions I had when I was in middle school.
Someone has to be, legally, responsible for you when you're in school. Yes, babysitting is one function of school. Minors have to be supervised and, sorry, but there are rules you need to follow.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Ok. I teach 3rd graders and often they make more sense.
Sadly, I believe you... I'm convinced my students do not think.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:06 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Because the best schools are in the richest districts. Schooling just isn't that big an issue for the campaign donors. But if education is rotten in YOUR district, maybe you should get involved. Run for school board.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,798,777 times
Education should have local control. Bush messed it up. Obama made it worse.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:04 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
He must have gotten detention.

I for one am tired of the kids on here complaining that can't go wee whenever they want. Most of my jobs as an adult you couldn't, either.

Bladder control seems to be a lost art.

The wise man takes a leak when the opportunity arises.

The fool waits until he has to go.

zen parable

Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,164 times
Quote:

Schools in the USA are broken because they are known to serve as 'prisons' where students are yelled at, unfairly punished, and restricted to do physical and emotional things such as using the restroom or eating.

I saw this and just about stopped reading. I can't tell if you are being e-sarcastic or not. What school have you seen? Around here its the kids that are yelling at teachers, being rude, and have no discipline. The teachers are too lax and thats because they have to be and aren't allowed to be strict anymore.

you're right, some school systems are broken, and its because everyone has to baby rude Johnny and can't put him in place.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,798,777 times
Diane Ravitch sums up the problems with federal involvement in an article reflecting on the 10 year anniversary of NCLB.

NCLB: The Death Star of American Education - Bridging Differences - Education Week

Old 01-16-2012, 05:16 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Does anyone else think that maybe some of it is that a certain percentage of the population is just unable to be educated past a certain point and that maybe we are wasting our time acting as if it's possible for all of them to learn up to a 12th grade level? I'm not talking about the segment of the population officially known as "learning-disabled". I'm talking about the lower end of normal.

Back in my grandmother's day, most kids went to eighth grade and then dropped out and went to work. They did manual labor or worked in a store. If someone was a little smarter, they finished high school. It was worth it for them to do so because they read and wrote well and could work in an office. Some, though fewer in those days, went to college.

My daughter graduated from HS two years ago. In her senior year, she would come home frustrated with classmates who couldn't seem to read the plays aloud and spit out a sentence without misreading/mispronouncing words or read them with inflection as more than just words they were reciting from the page. Why are kids like this even in a Shakespeare class in the first place?

My kid sucked at basketball. Hell, she sucked at any sport. And by the time she got to high school, she wasn't playing basketball or softball anymore because she wasn't any good at it.

So why do we waste money trying to educate "children" who don't seem to be able to learn anything much past the 8th grade level anyway? Again, we're not talking about people with "challenges" here. There is just a segment of the normal-IQ population out there whose education can be good enough to get them through life but a waste to try to develop any further than their capabilities.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:19 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Schools in the USA are broken because they are known to serve as 'prisons' where students are yelled at, unfairly punished, and restricted to do physical and emotional things such as using the restroom or eating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I saw this and just about stopped reading. I can't tell if you are being e-sarcastic or not. What school have you seen? Around here its the kids that are yelling at teachers, being rude, and have no discipline. The teachers are too lax and thats because they have to be and aren't allowed to be strict anymore. You're right, some school systems are broken, and its because everyone has to baby rude Johnny and can't put him in place.

I'm trying to figure out which is the emotional thing: using the restroom or eating.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-20-2012 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 01-16-2012, 05:25 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,922 times
The OP sounds like a 15 year old who hates school and thinks it is unjust.

Just wait until he gets a glimpse of real life.

Last edited by Zembonez; 01-16-2012 at 05:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education