Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM

850 posts, read 1,897,828 times

Advertisements

Bringing poison into a building with children should be illegal. Manufacturing it should be illegal. All those bottles and cans destroying the earth should be illegal. And lastly, schools should be illegal because actual learning does not happen in 'schools'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I forsee the day when former drug dealers say the heck with dope and sell soda, candy and snack food from the trunk of their cars outside the school gates to kids wanting a little sugar or salt.

"Hey kid, it's okay for you to decide to murder your baby because a woman can do what she wants with her own body...except when it comes to having a can of soda. Then, you are too young for that responsibility."

Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
No. When is the government going to realize that banning things isn't going to make anything better??? Honest education is better.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I don't see any harm in having soda machines in High School. However, I do not believe they should be allowed in the lower grades because most younger kids do not have the self-discipline to not buy a soda instead of lunch.
Most older kids don't have the self discipline, either.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
At a certain age, not having soda machines in school is not going to stop students from drinking soda. They will bvring them and/or get them from other sources.

As an extreme example, I remember going back to middle school, 6th, 7th grade, plenty of my classmates were already smoking. There was certainly no source of cigarettes in the school, but the smokers had them anyway.
This is true, but it's not really the point...The point is you need to make the unhealthy foods less easily accessible and the healthy foods more easily accessible. We've spent the last 35 years making junk food easy to get and the result--a majority overweight/obese population--is all around us.

In the same way, making cigarettes difficult to get did not make smoking go away, but, along with other measures, it most definitely has reduced consumption.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-11-2013 at 11:23 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
Exactly. Why everyone has to suffer because some parents are not able to teach moderation to their kids?
Part of moderation / self discipline is keeping the unhealthy stuff/influence...whatever that may be...at arms length.

In the same way that parents try to keep their kids away from others who are bad a band influence, they should also not have their kids constantly subjected to the temptations of junk food in school.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:19 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
My high school didn't allow fast food to be brought in because it took away from vending profits.

So, no.
My high school was the same way. Plenty of vending machines but you couldn't leave for lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
No. When is the government going to realize that banning things isn't going to make anything better??? Honest education is better.

Because the left and right both love it when the government bans things they don't like. This is just the nature of government.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
Because the left and right both love it when the government bans things they don't like. This is just the nature of government.
This is true . And each notices this fault in the other but not in themselves.

That said, I still don't think it's unreasonable to not have soda machines (and mini-fast food restaurants) in school. We are talking about KIDS here, who, by definition still need guidance and direction from adults in making good choices.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:12 PM

384 posts, read 594,106 times
Removing soda machines from schools will not stop students from accessing soda and other unhealthy food. They will just purchase it somewhere else.

And the prices in vending machines are often a rip off. One dollar for a can of soda when you can buy a large bottle of Coke at Walgreens for 99 cents. Another dollar for a small bag of Lays, when you can buy a larger bag at the market for less. The only reason students use these machines is for the convenience.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Why would we want our schools selling something that offers nothing except empty calories? Why did we ever have them?
Maybe because they taste good to some people? I know plenty of people (including myself) who drink at least 3 per day and are in far better shape than those who do not drink soda.

Also, in regards to your question, I ask myself and often wonder: why are there so many people that will buy 20 oz. of a fluid that they can get for FREE down the hall at a water fountain? That sounds just as ridiculous, if not more so.

IMHO, it's no one's business what someone else drinks or eats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education