Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 03:32 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Burton— Not long ago, J.T. Gaskins was honored on his high school's "Wall of Fame" for perfect behavior.

Now he's doing school work from home after being suspended by the governing board of his charter school over the length of his hair.

School suspends cancer survivor over long hair he plans to donate | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120128/METRO/201280350/School-suspends-cancer-survivor-over-long-hair-he-plans-donate?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 04:25 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Burton— Not long ago, J.T. Gaskins was honored on his high school's "Wall of Fame" for perfect behavior.

Now he's doing school work from home after being suspended by the governing board of his charter school over the length of his hair.

School suspends cancer survivor over long hair he plans to donate | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120128/METRO/201280350/School-suspends-cancer-survivor-over-long-hair-he-plans-donate?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE - broken link)
Absurd. But in the long run, he'll come out ahead. One can get a much better education through home schooling than through the public schools.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:57 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Absurd. But in the long run, he'll come out ahead. One can get a much better education through home schooling than through the public schools.
Gross over-generalization.

There is nothing out there that suggests, even slightly, that home schooling is a better education than the top public academies. Now this particular charter school may or may not be great but that does not mean all homeschooling is better than all public schooling.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

School suspends cancer survivor over long hair he plans to donate | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120128/METRO/201280350/School-suspends-cancer-survivor-over-long-hair-he-plans-donate?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE - broken link)
Nope. I am with the school on this one.

His school is a school of choice. He CHOSE to go there knowing the policy on hair length before he got there.

Locks of love is a great charity, but even they say there are lots of ways to help the cause besides growing out your hair. Additionally, this boy is a senior. If his donation is very important to him why cant he wait 3 months to begin growing out his hair?

I fully support this boy's choices. He can choose to grow out his hair right now, or he can choose to continue to go to the school he is in.

The school I teach at is also a school of choice, with a mandatory JROTC component. We also have a mandatory hair length requirement. But again, it is a CHOICE to come to our school. With choices come responsibilities.

If this boy choose to go to a college like USNA, would we be all rah rah to allow him to grow out his hair? Probably not, because he choose to go there. This is the same thing.

Now if he was going his local public high school, then he has every right to grow his hair out as long as he likes.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

His school is a school of choice. He CHOSE to go there knowing the policy on hair length before he got there.

Locks of love is a great charity, but even they say there are lots of ways to help the cause besides growing out your hair. Additionally, this boy is a senior. If his donation is very important to him why cant he wait 3 months to begin growing out his hair?

I fully support this boy's choices. He can choose to grow out his hair right now, or he can choose to continue to go to the school he is in.

The school I teach at is also a school of choice, with a mandatory JROTC component. We also have a mandatory hair length requirement. But again, it is a CHOICE to come to our school. With choices come responsibilities.

If this boy choose to go to a college like USNA, would we be all rah rah to allow him to grow out his hair? Probably not, because he choose to go there. This is the same thing.

Now if he was going his local public high school, then he has every right to grow his hair out as long as he likes.
^^^^^
Confirms my opinion that Home Schooling is better.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:15 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
You just have to love those little school GODS...my way or the hwy.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times
Quote:

Yeah, exactly. I think it's a dumb rule, but rules are rules, cancer survivor or not. He can either follow the rules, try to change them, or go somewhere else.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
^^^^^
Confirms my opinion that Home Schooling is better.
Glad to see you don't base your opinion on facts or any other type of objective measure.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Glad to see you don't base your opinion on facts or any other type of objective measure.
Glad to see you admit your post was not fact based or objective!

Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
First of all, Locks of Love is an absolutely awful charity. Very little of the hair actually makes it to patients and they actually do not distribute many wigs given the wide appeal of donating hair to them. In 2002, only 114 wigs were distributed. Think about how many people you know who have donated to LoL - for me, it's probably half that number. Furthermore, it's done under false pretenses. Wigs are not given to people with temporary hair loss from chemotherapy. The point of Locks of Love is to give wigs to children with alopecia. Of course they deserve wigs too, but not under false pretenses.

I say this as a recent cancer survivor who spent a lot of time researching wigs for low income people.

Instead, he should be growing to donate for Wigs for Kids or Pantene's Beautiful Lengths (for adult cancer patients) and spread the word about those charities. It's unfortunate that Locks of Love is getting this publicity.

I have mixed feelings on the school's policy. While I think they should relax, if they relax on him then it opens all kinds of doors toward unfair treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education