Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 08:04 PM

809 posts, read 1,325,989 times

Advertisements

I am a career counselor and would like to institute hands on STEM activities for middle school students to promote the STEM careers. Anyone have any suggestions or websites? The lesson needs to be 35-40 minutes long. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:25 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,364,508 times
There are tons of companies that make school science demonstration kits.
Home

On a side note I hope you are not one of those misinformed people that think the country has a desperate shortage of scientists and that we must do everything we can to promote it early. If so, there are hundreds of thousands of unemployed scientists who would love to set you straight none the least of which is myself.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 AM

13,252 posts, read 33,405,476 times
Robotics! Robotics Learning Kids Workshops My son did FIRST USFIRST.org robotics all through HS and has since helped out with MS kids while in College. The dean of his department is passionate about getting kids into STEM majors.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:32 AM

809 posts, read 1,325,989 times
Thanks for your input.
I don't think everyone needs to be a scientist, but there are tons of occupations the students can explore that do have jobs available. They all want to be drs, forensic scientists, psyc majors etc. I want to give them different options. ALso they are so intend on "this is what I am going to be" and they don't want to explore options.
This is just another avenue for them to explore.
Thanks again!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 AM

5,003 posts, read 12,328,324 times
Tinker toys and LEGOS. And to get kids interested in math and science, one method I found effective is to show them something cool related to it.

I was involved in an after-work program that tutored and demonstrated math and science to 4th-8th graders. In my experience, children don't get involved in math and science because they don't see how the boring, dull, droning, and utterly abstract math they learn in class is attached to the real world. I don't blame them!

hence why I think what you're doing is a great idea! I hope your school moves forward with it!

So what constitutes "cool"? Well, if there's a teacher or someone in the school with a sports car or with a airplane, or something they built, show it. I showed my BMW convertible to the kids and they just L-O-V-E-D it! I then showed them the engine, revved it a little, showed them the lines of the car and how it helps with aerodynamics, and even the seats how they're molded and how the motors work to them.

That's the hook. Then you bring them back and say that everything single thing on that car has something math related to it and it's important to work on it so that one day you can design those, or that airplane, or that building, or whatever. Tell them yes it's hard work. Sorta sucks but gotta do it.

I think people underestimate how much logic and reasoning (if short sighted) children have. That short sightedness is something we as adults have to help them realize the benefits of working hard beyond the money, because kids don't understand money. Some people never learn what money is!

As for applications, asking them to design bridges to take a load or to build a building iwth the fewest materials or asking them to check out robotics (like above) would be great ideas.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 PM

143 posts, read 377,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
There are tons of companies that make school science demonstration kits.
Home

On a side note I hope you are not one of those misinformed people that think the country has a desperate shortage of scientists and that we must do everything we can to promote it early. If so, there are hundreds of thousands of unemployed scientists who would love to set you straight none the least of which is myself.

And yet engineering still has low unemployment rates....

Old 02-06-2012, 02:22 PM

151 posts, read 568,880 times

I wouldn't call 18% at the BS and 15% at the MS for chemical engineers low unemployment.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:22 PM

13,252 posts, read 33,405,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
I am a career counselor and would like to institute hands on STEM activities for middle school students to promote the STEM careers. Anyone have any suggestions or websites? The lesson needs to be 35-40 minutes long. Thanks in advance for your help.
Let's keep this topic about STEM activities please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education