Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 05:17 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I'll say it.....I don't think schools want kids smart.

Do you ever notice how many "simple" and common things (like excel)....schools somehow seem to "neglect" or miss? Why is that?

Excel in the business world is like tying your shoes. But somehow it hasn't quite made it into the cirriculum. Hmmmm?

There's always an excuse or qualifier.....a computer class is an elective. Or there aren't enough computers. Why isn't it integrated from the start?

-Why aren't computer/technical skills part of the graduation requirement now for highschool?

If schools were smart, they'd be intergrating technology from elementary school. You could see your old grades, test scores, etc in a program like excel. Everything would sort of integrate.
Ummmmm....most good schools already do this...grades are posted online. Most of our kids' homework is done/turned in online (reduces paper by a LOT). I don't know of a single high school kid that doesn't have computer skills. As for specific programs like excel, I have to agree, it isn't something kids use every day in most majors in college and businesses will have their own programs to use inside of Excel. The kids are smart enough that it will take a couple days on the job to learn what they need to know. Schools can't be everything for everyone. They are there to give kids a foundation and college and the work force and then teach them the specialized things they need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:44 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
I'll say it.....I don't think schools want kids smart.

Do you ever notice how many "simple" and common things (like excel)....schools somehow seem to "neglect" or miss? Why is that?

Excel in the business world is like tying your shoes. But somehow it hasn't quite made it into the cirriculum. Hmmmm?

There's always an excuse or qualifier.....a computer class is an elective. Or there aren't enough computers. Why isn't it integrated from the start?

-Why aren't computer/technical skills part of the graduation requirement now for highschool?

If schools were smart, they'd be intergrating technology from elementary school. You could see your old grades, test scores, etc in a program like excel. Everything would sort of integrate.
How many schools are there in America? Many DO integrate technology into their curriculum. We've had online grading for a number of years. Our kids have computer classes throughout the buildings and they are mandatory for all. This is just a slightly better then avg. school district, not a magnet school.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Today's kids can't do basic math or string two sentences together. I don't see the
point in teaching another skill they can be awful at.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I, too, would prioritize ensuring functional literacy across the board before worrying too much about mandatory Excel tutorials. Being unable to read, speak, or write in a manner befitting a professional isn't exactly advantageous when seeking employment, either.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:29 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
How many schools are there in America? Many DO integrate technology into their curriculum. We've had online grading for a number of years. Our kids have computer classes throughout the buildings and they are mandatory for all. This is just a slightly better then avg. school district, not a magnet school.
Are computer/technical skills part of the graduation requirement?

Some kids pick up computer skills on their own.....but, isn't there a "digital divide"? The middle class or rich kids are better with computers than poor or immigrants? Wouldn't integrating technology lessen that divide?

It's not really excel that's the problem. It just enables kids to *think* differently and more efficiently about something. They have a little bit more command over information or a set of numbers/data. It's like a pair of tools in a toolbelt.

Most schools are still in this world of big lumbering textbooks....this 2012. You'd think textbooks would have gotten slimmer years ago, or altogether eliminated. They'd be as outdated as the slide rule. I think excel is part of this phobia of change....they can't change away from this textbook and desk model. I don't know why else they wouldn't teach it to everyone.

Excel today is as common as paper and pencils were 50 years ago...you'd think it'd be integrated all through school. What you leave highschool with would be no different than the working world/private businesses.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:54 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Again, even if we're looking at HS as purely job skills prep, not every field is dependent upon copious amounts of spreadsheet-making, or requires Excel training beyond the scope of what can be easily learned on one's own.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:

Excel today is as common as paper and pencils were 50 years ago...you'd think it'd be integrated all through school. What you leave highschool with would be no different than the working world/private businesses.
The importance of Excel is being grossly overstated in this thread. I know absolutely no one who uses Excel often at work. These are people in all kinds of different professions, too.

Schools need to be focused on kids being able to read, write, and do math. Schools that are not considered "the good" schools have enough trouble with that. Reading, writing, and the ability to do even basic math is much more important than Excel.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The importance of Excel is being grossly overstated in this thread. I know absolutely no one who uses Excel often at work. These are people in all kinds of different professions, too.

Schools need to be focused on kids being able to read, write, and do math. Schools that are not considered "the good" schools have enough trouble with that. Reading, writing, and the ability to do even basic math is much more important than Excel.
Conversely, I know many people that use excel as a major part of their job every single day. Having a rudimentary knowledge of Excel going into the workforce is a good thing, the company can hone the skills as needed.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Of all the things kids should learn in school, Excel is the one of the least of their problems. If a student is on a business track, by all means s/he should learn Excel. But other kids? Do they really need it?

In my department we use Excel to move information from our donor database to a Word mail merge. We also use it to keep track of vacation time. That's about it!

The only people here who use it fully -- not just entering information into cells -- are the budget folks.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The TI calculator is used to speed calculations that students learn to do the hard way (by hand). They use the TI during the test, which allows more problems to be solved in specific amount of time.

Sure Excel could be used too - but it requires a computer. And in most schools most kids don't have a laptop of their own to carry to class.

I question the statement in the original post "Since this is probably the most useful skill someone in the workforce can have" completely. I use Excel everyday and have for years. But most of the people I have worked with for over 35 years only need Excel occasionally. For many people Word is far more important.
Thanks. I thought it was an odd statement. In some workplaces, that may be true, but I need to make an Excel SS once or twice a year.

I'd really like to see the high school concentrate a bit on teaching kids to READ and SPELL before graduation before they worry about Excel Spreadsheets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education