Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 04:27 PM

17 posts, read 17,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

If a group contingency in a high school class really makes some people not want to live in society, there's a LOT more going on that warrants attention. The fact that suffering a consequence due to the behavior of somebody else in your high school chemistry class might send some student into an epic, life-altering meltdown is EXACTLY the reason that basic life lessons, including "sometimes, things aren't fair" aren't bad to incorporate on occasion. "We all got in trouble in chemistry, even though I didn't dooooo anything," is definitely not something that a well-adjusted student should be having a hemorrhage over.

Yes, this has little to do with the classroom. It has a lot more to do with LIFE. You know, that thing out there for which school is supposed to be preparing you. Welcome to not existing in a vacuum.
I find that remark about a "hemorrhage" highly offensive, and only serves to substantiate my point that those who support group punishment are callous would-be bullies who don't give a hoot about anyone other than themselves. Here's an example of group punishment: the Holocaust.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-22-2012 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned word in quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 05:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
If you knew me, and the population of students with whom I work, you would probably realize that the term "bully" is not one which has ever been or ever will be applied to me. But since you don't, I'll just chalk it up to the reality that there are those who find sometimes-harsh realities of life to be on par with being bullied. The majority of my students deal with such harsh realities in their day to day existence as it is that the whole class not earning something because one person messed it up for everybody really doesn't register as a massive injustice of life. I'm sure it does for some populations. The fact remains that I, personally, feel that group contingencies and group consequences are sometimes appropriate and effective. They aren't if they're overused, but there are times when they serve a valuable purpose.

Some of you don't feel that way. How wonderful to live in a world where we can have different opinions!

Old 04-22-2012, 05:56 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If you knew me, and the population of students with whom I work, you would probably realize that the term "bully" is not one which has been or ever will be applied to me. But since you don't, I'll just chalk it up to the reality that there are those who find harsh realities of life to be on par with being bullied. The majority of my students deal with such harsh realities in their day to day existence that the whole class not earning something because one person messed it up for everybody really doesn't register as a massive injustice of life. I'm sure it does for some populations. The fact remains that I personally feel that group contingencies and group consequences are sometimes appropriate and effective. They aren't if they're overused, but there are times when they serve a valuable purpose.

Some of you don't feel that way. How wonderful to live in a world where we can have different opinions!
How would they be effective? Last time I checked, group punishment never was effective on me. It just made me not want to be around there at times. For me, it is a personal issue of "what helps me". To me it registers as an injustice because if I'm a student and I'm in the classroom, I'm in it for ME and no one else. It is a massive injustice because what it teaches, at least in my opinion, that it doesn't matter if you do the right thing or not, because your future is contingent on someone else". It rules out individual responsibility, which is what children should actually be learning. Students need to learn individual responsibility.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:52 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngireland View Post
I find that remark about a "hemorrhage" highly offensive, and only serves to substantiate my point that those who support group punishment are callous would-be bullies who don't give a hoot about anyone other than themselves. Here's an example of group punishment: the Holocaust.
There are probably some who would consider the connection with the holocaust into this discussion highly offensive too. However, the holocaust is still not a good analogy.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:32 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
There are probably some who would consider the connection with the holocaust into this discussion highly offensive too. However, the holocaust is still not a good analogy.
I agree, let's keep the Holocaust out of this discussion.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Also, please note that the post in question's editing was not my doing.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Students need to learn individual responsibility.
And there are, of course, ample opportunities to learn and practice individual responsiblity in school, just as there are times when it's necessary to be part of a group, and a different sort of learning experience that's no less valid or necessary.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Everyone deals with group discipline. It is a part of living in a COMMUNITY. There are benefits to living in a community and negatives. But some of the people on here whining about "group discipline" also want all of the benefits of the community.

And acknowledging the usefulness of the occasional use of group discipline does not make someone "fond" of it, a bully or a nazi. Can we have a tiny bit of rationality please?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 AM

17 posts, read 17,066 times
Let's see how Wiktionary defines bullying:

1.An act of intimidating a weaker person to do something, especially such repeated coercion.
2.Persistent acts intended to make life unpleasant for another person.

Sound familiar?

Also, on Mr. Poll, 4 out of 5 people said that group punishment was immoral, so people like you are very much in the minority.
Oh and BTW, "life isn't fair" is often used by people to excuse bullying at school and in the workplace.
Here's a better example of group punishment: the Intolerable Acts. I suppose that Ikb0714 and TabulaRasa would have accepted them and remained under British rule. Which would have made them traitors/quislings.

Last edited by youngireland; 04-23-2012 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngireland View Post
Let's see how Wiktionary defines bullying:

1.An act of intimidating a weaker person to do something, especially such repeated coercion.
2.Persistent acts intended to make life unpleasant for another person.

Sound familiar?

Also, on Mr. Poll, 4 out of 5 people said that group punishment was immoral, so people like you are very much in the minority.
Oh and BTW, "life isn't fair" is often used by people to excuse bullying at school and in the workplace
Polls rely on random sampling, which means you could get anyone. However, I do see the point you're making.

On the other hand, it is that 1/5 who could be running things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education