Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,338,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
That's just the way it is. "Mass punishment" , as you put it, is a way of life in school and in life, it has always existed, and always will.
Y

No, I don't think so, but oh, what a power kick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 02:19 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,179,549 times
Quote:
That's just the way it is. "Mass punishment" , as you put it, is a way of life in school and in life, it has always existed, and always will.
Y
I would say "mass rules" exists which may feel like personal punishment. That, I think, is where life can feel unfair for you personally.

For example, "mass punishment" is a part of your school's behavior management plan and then suddenly your new principal doesn't allow it. I can see how life may seem unfair to you and to any other teacher who used it. That is a normal part of life. I wouldn't punish students because I felt like I was being punished.

I would say that it sounds like Momma_bear's PRIVATE school is one that provides more opportunities for students with rules in place. That sounds like a very supportive community, not an enabling one.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:57 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,904,797 times
Quote:
Y
Yes, by that logic, if a teacher/teachers do something problematic, the rest of the teachers would be fine with a mass punishment including themselves, the non-problematic. Right?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:14 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,668,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Yes, by that logic, if a teacher/teachers do something problematic, the rest of the teachers would be fine with a mass punishment including themselves, the non-problematic. Right?
It happens everyday.

I have never not had lesson plans but because a tiny fraction of other teachers in the state have not I now have to do them in a state specified format, turn them in to a central facility and various other arbitrary standards.

So what? That is the way the world works.

Besides for every real example given by a teacher in this thread, it was completely appropriate to deal with discipline in that fashion.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:07 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,281,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Why do you think that teachers aren't allowed to leave campus during the day in government schools? Probably because SOME teachers did and didn't come back when they needed to. Why do teachers have to sign in and out? Probably because SOME teachers went off and did errands when not teaching and snuck back in to teach their class. Why do you think that teachers have to turn in lesson plans? Probably because SOME teachers would just 'wing it' and not prepare a lesson plan. The list goes on and on......

Old 02-23-2012, 08:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,268,389 times
You hear a noise coming from the back of the class where 6 boys are sitting and laughing among themselves. You ask and none admit to it. You continue teaching and the noise happens again from the same direction and the same 6 are snickering.

Are the 6 going to get in trouble or are you going to let that continue until you can figure out which one is doing it ?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:30 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,407,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A C average negates athletic eligibility where I was schooled, and it wasn't even in awesome New Jersey. It's dictated by conference bylaws.
A "C"? Here in CO, you have to be passing at least 5 classes with a "C" or better. Schools can make stricter rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You hear a noise coming from the back of the class where 6 boys are sitting and laughing among themselves. You ask and none admit to it. You continue teaching and the noise happens again from the same direction and the same 6 are snickering.

Are the 6 going to get in trouble or are you going to let that continue until you can figure out which one is doing it ?
Yeah, I agree. I also think group punishment helps the "good" kids put some peer pressure on the "naughty" ones to behave better.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:14 AM

809 posts, read 1,326,466 times
IKB0714 - I have a question for you. I understand what you are saying, no exceptions to missing classes. What would be the situation in this case? Ivy league admission reps come to the school on a scheduled visit to meet with perspective students. Would the number 2 student in the class of 1000+ students with near perfect SAT's and a wide variety of activities be allowed to meet with the admissions rep if they had a lab scheduled at that time? College reps come to our school all year long- arrangements have been made by the guidance dept. We have never told the admission rep they had to come after school. Having an admission rep basically do a sales pitch to top notch students is not academics, but we would never tell our top students they could not miss class for such an activity.
What would happen in your school?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 AM

32 posts, read 61,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

As I understand it, mass punishment as the OP is talking about is punishing the entire class of 25 or so, not the small group that is making the trouble to begin with. I agree with punishing the core group that is making the trouble, what I have a problem with is punishing all of the other students in class who aren't snickering or making trouble. Students aren't in charge of other students behavior, and it's a poor teacher who expects them to be.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,273,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
No-it's not a snowflake issue at all. Students should be held accountable for their actions. NOT the actions of others. NOT what their actions might have been, but for their actual actions.
Children are taught a valuable lesson with mass punishment that life is not always fair. Is it that big of an issue to deal with a consequence? Accept it and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education