Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:14 PM

161 posts, read 239,600 times

Advertisements

Charter schools are the answer to a question I don't understand!

Why, do people still think charter schools are the answer to improving public schools? Why all the attention? Recent documentaries seem to show how wonderful charter schools are and how public schools stink but in reality, they aren't any better. For every excellent charter school a person can swear by, I can show you an equally excellent pubic school (yes, they are out there).

I see that there are some good charter schools out there but are we really comparing apples to apples when they don't have to take and keep the population of students? I understand that public schools are in need of improvement but isn't all this talk of charter schools a distraction and wasted time?

CREDO report- (2009 Stanford University) http://credo.stanford.edu/reports/MU...OICE_CREDO.pdf
"The study reveals that a decent fraction of charter schools, 17 percent, provide superior education opportunities for their students.**Nearly half of the charter schools nationwide have results that are no different from the local public school options and over a third, 37 percent, deliver learning results that are significantly worse than their student would have realized had they remained in traditional public schools.*"

Washington Post:
The Answer Sheet - More questions for KIPP
"KIPP schools are different than regular public schools for a variety of reasons: they rely on self-selected student populations (rather than ones assigned to them); they get lots of private money; and they rely on a difficult-to-replicate workforce model – primarily young childless teachers who work extraordinary hours."

Study of KIPP schools done at Columbia Univ.
http://nepc.colorado.edu/newsletter/2008/11/“realistic-expectations”-urged-kipp-schools (broken link)
"• KIPP student turnover appears to be high and "selective." Those who leave tend to be lower-performing students to begin with and to have performed less well while at KIPP. "Such attrition, if it were taken into consideration, would reduce the size of gains in reports that simply compare KIPP eight graders with those in their host districts," Henig writes. But the evidence, he adds, is not enough to suggest that attrition alone accounts for the academic advantages that KIPP students appear to enjoy.
• While the enthusiasm of KIPP teachers is high, heavy demands on them and on KIPP leaders tend to promote high teacher turnover "and an unrelieved pressure to find and train new people," Henig writes.
Henig notes that the extended-day policy at KIPP schools -- 9.5 hours per day, plus summer and Saturday classes -- has attracted a great deal of attention. But hard evidence does not yet link KIPP's longer school day to the program's success. Moreover, attempts to transport this part of the model to other schools may be met with objections from many parents and taxpayers.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 06:49 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,489,923 times
Charter schools and schol of choice will have the same impact. (Unless you allow charters to cater to a specific audience, in which case, they might actually be better) Kids with parents who care and have the means to transport their child will do so and the rest will stay behind. It's good for the kids who have parents who care and have the means but bad for everyone else.

I think charters should be an option just like private schools are an option but I don't think they're the solution to what ails education. We're expecting schools and teachers to deal with too much that they do not control. While charters can't be selective about who they accept, they can be selective about who they keep. Its' much easier for a charter school to expel a student than a public school.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,164,943 times
Because charter schools can still pick and choose their students. The ones they do not want get suspended, expelled or the admin convinces the parents to go elsewhere.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,924,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Because charter schools can still pick and choose their students. The ones they do not want get suspended, expelled or the admin convinces the parents to go elsewhere.
Spoken like a true teacher's union member.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Spoken like a true teacher's union member.
No, spoken as someone who has seen it. I worked for a charter and saw this first hand. After count day (gotta get the money first) the suspensions and expulsions started. By Christmas, our classes were actually down to normal sizes.

One advantage of charter and private schools is that they can expel students more easily. In the case of charters, if the expulsion occurs after count day, they get to keep 75% of the money for that student for that year....which begs the question, "Why is charter school pay so lousy?". I started the year with 36 students in my chemistry classes and ended it with about 28 in each class both years I taught in the charter. Some of those kids left on their own but a significant number of them were expelled for various reasons, many of those after count day.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,924,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No, spoken as someone who has seen it. I worked for a charter and saw this first hand. After count day (gotta get the money first) the suspensions and expulsions started. By Christmas, our classes were actually down to normal sizes.

One advantage of charter and private schools is that they can expel students more easily. In the case of charters, if the expulsion occurs after count day, they get to keep 75% of the money for that student for that year....which begs the question, "Why is charter school pay so lousy?". I started the year with 36 students in my chemistry classes and ended it with about 28 in each class both years I taught in the charter. Some of those kids left on their own but a significant number of them were expelled for various reasons, many of those after count day.
Meh. One so called experience in one school. Charter schools are not private schools. They take from the local community and are "stuck" with the same type of students (including minority and special ed) that the regular schools get. The biggest difference is that the Charter school teachers (around here) are NOT union members and that has most union teachers all up in a tizzy.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Meh. One so called experience in one school. Charter schools are not private schools. They take from the local community and are "stuck" with the same type of students (including minority and special ed) that the regular schools get. The biggest difference is that the Charter school teachers (around here) are NOT union members and that has most union teachers all up in a tizzy.
People I know who have worked at other charters report the same thing. They start the year with overflowing classes and end the year with normal class sizes. As I said, some is due to choosing to leave but some is due to expulsions. In the school I worked for, from the start of the year until count day, suspensions were the rule. After that the expulsions started.

It is nearly impossible for a public school to expel a student. Charter and private schools can do it easily since they are schools of choice. Private schools have the incentive of continuing to collect tuition to motivate them to keep students. Once count day passes, charter schools don't have that incentive. They keep the money even though the child is not there.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 AM

8,822 posts, read 15,288,444 times
How common are charter schools? I looked at the Virginia Dept. of Ed. website and it lists four public charter schools in the whole state.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:12 AM

4,368 posts, read 4,219,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
People I know who have worked at other charters report the same thing. They start the year with overflowing classes and end the year with normal class sizes. As I said, some is due to choosing to leave but some is due to expulsions. In the school I worked for, from the start of the year until count day, suspensions were the rule. After that the expulsions started.

It is nearly impossible for a public school to expel a student. Charter and private schools can do it easily since they are schools of choice. Private schools have the incentive of continuing to collect tuition to motivate them to keep students. Once count day passes, charter schools don't have that incentive. They keep the money even though the child is not there.

Most of the private schools around here require that the entire year's tuition is due and payable at the time of expulsion. So there is really no need to keep a student who is wrecking the education of other paying students.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:14 AM

4,368 posts, read 4,219,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How common are charter schools? I looked at the Virginia Dept. of Ed. website and it lists four public charter schools in the whole state.

We have none at all in Mississippi. The legislature is working furiously to change it, even as they are planning to underfund and cut the state support for our Adequate Education formula for the fourth consecutive year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education