Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2012, 06:41 PM
 
173 posts, read 353,724 times
Reputation: 82

Advertisements

I am a 10th grade student at a public school in Milwaukee. Got a question and a rant for you.

NOTE: This is not a rant dictating why I don't like school.

I've read this online, and learned this based on the staff handbook and how my teachers have been reacting to students.

It appears that teachers have more rights than students. The rights are not given by the Constitution, they're given by their individual school or school district.

They have the right to yell at you for even the first slightest offense you make such as walking around before class starts, coming to the principal's office without a pass, unintentionally breaking the rules, etc.

They don't have to apologize for being rude, or say 'please' and 'thank you' because these school officials believe that just because they're adults, they are better than students.

There is a number of things I disagree with about this statement.

Firstly, basically giving teachers more rights (or telling students that they have more rights) could interfere with the number of students who actually 'want' to get an education. Why would anyone want to be educated by a stubborn teacher who thinks they have more authority just because they're 'grown' and get paid to do so? Believe it or not, it's actually increases the number of drop-outs there are.

Secondly, I am sick of all the 'I'm an adult' bullcrap some of these teachers are saying. Plus, if you were to post a rant complaining about teachers on a forum, almost all of them is going to disagree (which most of you are going to do now). Why is it that people expect children to treat them respectfully when they can't respect them in return? So just because you're an adult, you should have more rights than children? I understand you don't want students telling you what to do, but if you learn to accept constructive criticism, then you will understand why they do what they do.

Lastly, I've stated this a billion of times. I don't get WHY teachers don't have to say 'please' and 'thank you' to students of whom they are in charge. This is also why I believe some students drop out. And then they expect students to say 'please' and 'thank you' to them? Do you even realize that just blurting out a loud demand even after the first slightest offense is rude? And then they expect the students not to be rude in return? Seriously, get your act together, please!

I don't care what powers you have, what position you are, how old you are, or what your particular age group is; you have no more rights than children. If they don't have the right to yell at you, you don't have the right to yell at them. If they can't be a rude prick after only the first minor offense, then you shouldn't either. If you're going to be a rude prick, then at least be one if they are breaking a severe offense or they need multiple cues to do what they are supposed to.

I know some of you are going to disagree with this. Most likely because you're an adult who still thinks teachers should have more rights than students. But frankly, I don't care because you guys are just selfish people who thinks you're special just because you're over 18 and working through a contract. I've been in school for 12-16 years and have experienced this with 3 teachers, 2 administrators, a crisis stabilizor, a supervisor, and the people on this forum.

 
Old 03-02-2012, 06:47 PM
 
35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Reputation: 62667
You are probably going to have a very hard time after you grow up chronologically and get a real job in the real world. If you think teachers are bad wait until you have a boss, you will be wishing you still had all those teachers you disliked so much. Good luck with your future and don't join the military if you don't like to be yelled at.
 
Old 03-02-2012, 06:50 PM
 
2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Reputation: 3965
I don't disagree with you, and I'm a teacher. Many teachers routinely treat students with quite a bit of disrespect. In many ways our schools are run like prisons, and teachers are the guards. They see students as needing to be controlled, needing to be scared into submission, and maybe even as a little frightening (thus needing even more control...). That attitude is so entrenched and pervasive that teachers who feel differently often find themselves on the outs with colleagues, who think they are too lenient or that they are stupidly letting students take advantage of them.

But you're wrong about teachers having rights - if they have more rights than students, then that's about it. Teachers are very low on the totem pole, and are treated with disrespect by everyone else, from principals on up to the general public. Maybe they're taking it out on the only people they can, or maybe it's just a trickle down effect. But you can't expect respect from people who don't get any from anyone else. It's a shame, but it's the way things are.
 
Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 PM
 
173 posts, read 353,724 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You are probably going to have a very hard time after you grow up chronologically and get a real job in the real world. If you think teachers are bad wait until you have a boss, you will be wishing you still had all those teachers you disliked so much. Good luck with your future and don't join the military if you don't like to be yelled at.
I never said teachers were 'bad', this is just one of those threads stating what I hate about it.

Also, I have a real job. Thank you very much.
 
Old 03-02-2012, 06:53 PM
 
35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Reputation: 62667
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
I never said teachers were 'bad', this is just one of those threads stating what I hate about it.

Also, I have a real job. Thank you very much.

You misunderstand what I mean by a REAL JOB. Having a job in 10th grade is no where close to having a REAL JOB. When you get one of those come back and tell us how bad school was.
 
Old 03-02-2012, 06:53 PM
 
173 posts, read 353,724 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
This right here is why you are having a hard time. You are in 10th grade, stop throwing a temper tantrum like a 2nd grader. You have said you don't care what people answer or say... so why even bother posting your little childish tirade? That isn't ranting or a discussion, it is pure Trolling.
I never said that I was having a 'hard' time. I am a 10th grade student with an 'A' in English and is working hard to attempt to get at least a 3.0.

Yes, this is childish. You're being 'childish' by bashing anyone who expesses their opinion just like the First Amendment allows us to.
 
Old 03-02-2012, 06:58 PM
 
48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Reputation: 18304
So why do you think that your parents have more rights than you do in the relationship?Perhaps you should be preaching against compulsary education then. More like college where you obey the rules and make the grades or your out the door.Alos perhaps you should revolt that juvenile are not held to the same standards as adult under law for their behaviour in society.Things work both ways.
 
Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 PM
 
173 posts, read 353,724 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
So why do you think that your parents have more rights than you do in the relationship?Perhaps you should be preaching against compulsary education then. More like college where you obey the rules and make the grades or your out the door.Alos perhaps you should revolt that juvenile are not held to the same standards as adult under law for their behaviour in society.Things work both ways.
Of course, parents have more rights than me. Because they're my parents. I don't even know what 'compulsary education' is. I'm not talking about yelling at a student for doing things they know they are not supposed to be doing. I'm talking about yelling at a student for breaking a rule they didn't mean to break.

Juvenile and Adults have different standards for a reason. I'm talking about the golden rule of respect.

I know this isn't very mature, but I am expressing my opinion. It's okay to disagree with it, but please don't insult me over it.
 
Old 03-02-2012, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Space Coast
1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
Reputation: 2768
Nobody HAS to say "please" or "thank you". It's common courtesy, yes, but no one is entitled to it. If someone chooses to drop out of school because their teacher is rude, then that's on them. Personally, I think it's silly for anyone to allow another person's actions to dictate their own life-altering choices. (It's a personal responsibility thing.) It sounds like some of your teachers are definitely burnt out, but the tone of your post makes it sound like you feel ALL teachers are like this. On that point I would have to disagree, though I agree that SOME teachers can be like that.
The thing is, you are going to encounter rude people and unfair situations for the rest of your life. Some of them will be total strangers and easy to blow off/let it go, but some will be in more of a position of power, such as a boss, that you just have to learn to suck it up and deal with for the time being. In other words, try to focus on the big picture (finishing high school, building a successful and happy life) and not let others bring you down.
oh - and being rude to someone just because they were rude first is kind of immature. One gets a lot further in the long run if they try to be the better person in those situations (kill them with kindness and all that).
 
Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Suburbia
8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Reputation: 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
I never said that I was having a 'hard' time. I am a 10th grade student with an 'A' in English and is working hard to attempt to get at least a 3.0.
Between this and your original post, I'd say an "A" is generous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top