Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

Also, the law is talking about twins or triplets or other multiple births. Would you really deny a twin entry if his or her twin got a slot? That would make no sense at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 01:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Golfgal,

I think I will expand on this.

First, assumptions are really bad. I have no plans of suing anyone.

And, so, becasue I am able to "think" for myself and question certain policies, you elude to the fact that I am a "difficult parent"? Far from it.

I am very involved with my child's education, and if I see something that I feel needs to be explained, I have every right as a taxpaper to ask the question.

God forgive me because I am an "independent thinker".

I asked a question and was hoping that someone with Charter experience could explain the reason for this rule (which by the way is relatively something new in the last couple of years).
I teach at a magnet, we are not lottery admission but rather academic. We used to have a different equation for siblings so it was somewhat easier for them to get in. The reason we did it is because we have a unique calendar, unique expectations, etc. I am assuming charters have the same reasoning.

As for why we got rid of it, because of potential lawsuits by people thinking the way you do. It is sad enough that every kid cannot get in anymore, but now we have younger sibs who are not only disappointed the day of that they did not get in, but they have to watch their sibling go to the school they couldn't get into every day. It is even sadder.

I wish we could still make it a little easier for siblings.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:30 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Speciality public schools such as magnets have the same provisos for siblings in many areas.
Yes, my son's school is a magnet and siblings are automatically accepted into the program. It's so that they can go to school together.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:55 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I teach at a magnet, we are not lottery admission but rather academic. We used to have a different equation for siblings so it was somewhat easier for them to get in. The reason we did it is because we have a unique calendar, unique expectations, etc. I am assuming charters have the same reasoning.

As for why we got rid of it, because of potential lawsuits by people thinking the way you do. It is sad enough that every kid cannot get in anymore, but now we have younger sibs who are not only disappointed the day of that they did not get in, but they have to watch their sibling go to the school they couldn't get into every day. It is even sadder.

I wish we could still make it a little easier for siblings.

I totally agree and thank you for sharing your personal experience.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:01 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Also, the law is talking about twins or triplets or other multiple births. Would you really deny a twin entry if his or her twin got a slot? That would make no sense at all.
I think it is a policy rather than a law. And the school I found with Google (in Rhode Island) specifically mentioned siblings, not multiples. Although all multiples might not want to be in the same classroom, I think it makes sense to treat them as one "person" for the lottery.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think it is a policy rather than a law. And the school I found with Google (in Rhode Island) specifically mentioned siblings, not multiples. Although all multiples might not want to be in the same classroom, I think it makes sense to treat them as one "person" for the lottery.
Someone quoted an actual law in NC referring to multiple births in post #24.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:42 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Someone quoted an actual law in NC referring to multiple births in post #24.
I thought nana was referring to my post just before hers. The Rhode Island school I Googled just mentioned siblings getting a preference, not a guarantee. The web site did not address multiples, although I think it is reasonable to have them enter the lottery as one "person."

Policies probably vary from school system to school system.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I thought nana was referring to my post just before hers. The Rhode Island school I Googled just mentioned siblings getting a preference, not a guarantee. The web site did not address multiples, although I think it is reasonable to have them enter the lottery as one "person."

Policies probably vary from school system to school system.
I was referring to the post about the NC law, not to your post.

I actually think that siblings ought to be able to go to the same school, but I can understand that if there are academic qualifications that might not happen. For a lottery school, I think that it would make good sense though especially if the school calendar is different from other schools in the district.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:52 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Met with the Principal of the Charter School. He explained that siblings do take the slot of a family with just one child.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
No. They take a slot. Period. They don't specifically take them away from families with just one child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education