Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,650,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Sad to say, but you will never, ever get anywhere talking to school administrators. They will always deny the problem, or blame the victim, or in this case even have the parent arrested for complaining about it.

Mom questions school on bullying via YouTube | 9news.com
"On February 21, Myre went to the school to talk with the principal and assistant principal. She had asked for the school resource officer and her supervisor to be present. Police say during the meeting, Myre got angry, out-of-control, using profanity in the hallway around students before being asked to leave. Police say her tirade continued outside and that's when officers arrested Myre for disorderly conduct.

Maybe you consider cursing in front of children "complaining" but it is a gross misrepresentation to claim she was arrested for complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 01:14 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,979,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
"On February 21, Myre went to the school to talk with the principal and assistant principal. She had asked for the school resource officer and her supervisor to be present. Police say during the meeting, Myre got angry, out-of-control, using profanity in the hallway around students before being asked to leave. Police say her tirade continued outside and that's when officers arrested Myre for disorderly conduct.

Maybe you consider cursing in front of children "complaining" but it is a gross misrepresentation to claim she was arrested for complaining.
Fortunately I don't have a daughter, so I don't have to worry about it. But if I did have a daughter, and she was being bullied, and I went to the school to talk to the principal about it, and he gave some BS about how that couldn't possible be, and tells me that "Twice-a-week, we have a bully proofing program that's presented. It's called Step Up." I would probably give them a lot more reason to arrest me then this women did.

But OK you don't like how that girls mother handled it, so I'll give you another one. Where this boy was severely burned in school by a bully. The school principal and the superintendent refused to follow their own policies and go through expulsion proceedings for the bully. The boys father did everything the right way and took the case to the school board, and still got blown off.

If thats not enough I can give you endless more cases where schools in the country refuse to take action to stop bullying.

Family of accused bully says it was a mistake, not malicious | 9news.com

Old 03-19-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Fortunately I don't have a daughter, so I don't have to worry about it. But if I did have a daughter, and she was being bullied, and I went to the school to talk to the principal about it, and he gave some BS about how that couldn't possible be, and tells me that "Twice-a-week, we have a bully proofing program that's presented. It's called Step Up." I would probably give them a lot more reason to arrest me then this women did.

But OK you don't like how that girls mother handled it, so I'll give you another one. Where this boy was severely burned in school by a bully. The school principal and the superintendent refused to follow their own policies and go through expulsion proceedings for the bully. The boys father did everything the right way and took the case to the school board, and still got blown off.

If thats not enough I can give you endless more cases where schools in the country refuse to take action to stop bullying.

Family of accused bully says it was a mistake, not malicious | 9news.com
Slow your roll there chuckles. From your own source.

"Some board members told Gardner they were already looking into the case and assured the family they would continue to investigate."

Hardly, being "blown off".

The ONLY mistake the school made was in not providing proper supervision. One child claiming bullying and another claiming horseplay WITH NO witness does not remotely prove INTENT. No prior claims of bullying, 5 day suspension and permanent removal from class. Seems very appropriate for such a non clear case.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,979,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Slow your roll there chuckles. From your own source.

"Some board members told Gardner they were already looking into the case and assured the family they would continue to investigate."

Hardly, being "blown off".

The ONLY mistake the school made was in not providing proper supervision. One child claiming bullying and another claiming horseplay WITH NO witness does not remotely prove INTENT. No prior claims of bullying, 5 day suspension and permanent removal from class. Seems very appropriate for such a non clear case.
OK, I can see that this is going nowhere. Obviously you are apologist for the schools that are doing nothing to prevent bullying.

But my point was. The bully used a weapon against the victim causing serious injury. The district policy is that a student who uses a weapon against another student be expelled. The bully was not expelled. Several school board members that express concern that the the principal and superintendent did not followed the district policy in dealing with this case.

Since that time the bully has still not been expelled. The principal and the superintendent still have their jobs. The school board has forgotten about the entire matter and moved on to other issues. If I was the father I would believe that I was blown off by them all.

As I said, I could find endless cases like these. But since you are just an apologist, I'm sure you would defend the schools in all the cases. Which brings me to the real problem. The apathy of people like you to the problem, is the reason that the bully problem will never be solved.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
OK, I can see that this is going nowhere. Obviously you are apologist for the schools that are doing nothing to prevent bullying.
That is just a plain old lie. Bullying exists, it is rampant even, more needs to be done by all involved parties. But your "examples" of the schools abdicating their responsibility have been shown to be exaggeration at best

Quote:
But my point was. The bully used a weapon against the victim causing serious injury.
No he used a GLUE GUN. A glue gun is not a weapon.

Quote:
The district policy is that a student who uses a weapon against another student be expelled. The bully was not expelled. Several school board members that express concern that the the principal and superintendent did not followed the district policy in dealing with this case.
No what they said was

"Littleton Public School's policy says that a student who uses any object as a weapon and intends to hurt someone will go through expulsion proceedings immediately"

No one has yet proven INTENT. Without intent there is no violation of the policy.

A baseball bat is clearly even more of a weapon than a glue gun, a boy was hit with a bat last year in my daughters school. He got a concussion and had to go to the hospital. There was no intent to harm in that case and there was no punishment for the other student. As there should not be, it was accidental.

Neither you, nor the victim or the family can prove that there was intent.

Quote:
Since that time the bully has still not been expelled. The principal and the superintendent still have their jobs. The school board has forgotten about the entire matter and moved on to other issues. If I was the father I would believe that I was blown off by them all.
And you would be wrong. The school has no business expelling one child based solely of the word of the other.

Quote:
As I said, I could find endless cases like these. But since you are just an apologist, I'm sure you would defend the schools in all the cases. Which brings me to the real problem. The apathy of people like you to the problem, is the reason that the bully problem will never be solved.
People like me? Lol! People like me take bullying very seriously, when it is encountered serious consequences need to follow. No one has proved bullying even happened here. Since when does one single person's opinion hold more weight someone else's?

Please, prove that bullying occurred, a single witness, some facebook chatter, anything. Then you can make the case for expulsion. Until then you have a perfect case of he said / she said.

The list of REAL cases of bullying are not served in anyway by making mountains out of molehills as you are doing here. Look at what happened to Phoebe Prince, or Tyler Clementi (right here in my own state) to see what real bullying is. A single incident as the one you have described pales in comparison and belittles the suffering and torment suffered by those who are actually bullied.

Same with placing the blame on school and schools alone. The schools failed no one in your instance, but you can be sure they failed Phoebe Prince. That does not remotely mean ALL schools or even the majority are ignoring bullying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education