Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:29 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
My Waldorf school has 10 teachers trained in First Aid and CPR.
They also have 8 teachers trained to administer an Epi-Pen (front office included).
In the event of an emergency e.g. broken bone, shock, etc. They call 911 and we have 4 major Hospitals nearby within 2 miles.

For anything that is not an emergency they call the parents first and see what we want to do. My daughter has fallen off the slide there and hit her head hard, they called and asked if I wanted to come look at her (which I appreciated and did). She was fine when I got there.
You have not seen gnomes in the classrooms and they appropriately administer medication. That is good. My mom went to a Philadelphia Quaker School and she never had to "quake" in class. So I can understand that schools may evolve into something different from what their founders intended. Anyhow, found this article from The National Post (CA) that outlines some of the potential pros/cons of Waldorf school... As I said, I can respect parents' decisions on how to best educate their children.

Gnomes and critics at Waldorf schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
You have not seen gnomes in the classrooms and they appropriately administer medication. That is good. My mom went to a Philadelphia Quaker School and she never had to "quake" in class. So I can understand that schools may evolve into something different from what their founders intended. Anyhow, found this article from The National Post (CA) that outlines some of the potential pros/cons of Waldorf school... As I said, I can respect parents' decisions on how to best educate their children.

Gnomes and critics at Waldorf schools
No gnomes, not even a single mention of a gnome in my year there. I am not even going to ask about it for fear that I will sound like a loon.

Tell you what, if someday I do hear about gnomes in any reference being taught to my girl like Santa Claus, I will graciously bump this thread and officially declare my unenrollment.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
We have been to the Montessori programs in the SF Bay and now Denver area. Talk about "cherry picking the kids"! The director/owner of the local Montessori school here in Denver said they look for "particular personalities" to fit in with the program. We didn't stay another minute, immediate differentiation at age 3 is ridiculous.
That is the beauty of public schools. They take all comers.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sure but after they assess, differentiate, and isolate they are all carefully placed into their little selected groups anyways.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Sure but after they assess, differentiate, and isolate they are all carefully placed into their little selected groups anyways.
You don't know much about public schools if that's what you think. Also, personality is something that doesn't fit in these "ability groups" so well. One does learn to get along with different types of people in a public school.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:55 AM

503 posts, read 807,322 times
Quote:
Some of us see that as a downside, frankly.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
You don't know much about public schools if that's what you think. Also, personality is something that doesn't fit in these "ability groups" so well. One does learn to get along with different types of people in a public school.
Well, yes and no. Ability grouping is done for some subjects in elementary school, but it's the lack of it that is often the subject of parents complaints. I'm not sure why homogenous learning became the norm, but I think it makes it harder for all of the children to learn at the pace that is right for them.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Back to the Amish: You would be a rock star at planting and harvest time.
They would hate me... I am a hard-core techie nerd.... Don't think they would have much use for a spectrum analyzer, or core optical equipment.
The Percherons are just playthings (like the cars, boats and 17 hobbies).

(I would use a large JD, such as a 6R or 7R series, instead of horses at planting and harvesting time. I don't think they would like that either.)

Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Their is a remote possibility that this may be a little biased, as the information comes from the organization that is defending itself.
How about posting some info from a dis-interested thrid party.

'Believe half of what you see, none of what you hear, and be entirely suspect of anything your read on the web.'

Old 03-22-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Yes, but I assume you did not finish school recently. They start them with computers and calculators as first steps now. My kids did not learn how to use an abacus or a slide rule in school.
Programmable calculators were around when I was in high school (actually, even elementary school). They taught us how to use slide rules and abacuses for historical reasons. Even in college that had us try (long obsolete) Hollerith cards.

Last edited by SuperSparkle928; 03-22-2012 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education