Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 AM

753 posts, read 1,481,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Of course not.

I was eating my Reese's Puffs this morning watching the news and saw a young man just about ready to graduate HS at the top of his class mention that he has had nothing but straight A's since the sixth grade? How is this possible? How can this guy who was quite overweight ace gym class??? "A" for effort?
By all means, just give them an F and encourage them to hate physical activity for the rest of their lives. That's great for their emotional and physical well-being.

I'll just end my comment there because mama said if you don't have something nice to say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 03:02 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Why would someone need to be skinny to get a good grade in PE? I am not following your reasoning. Most PE classes are graded on improvement, not absolute standards.

My son is taking weightlifting right now as a PE class. Kids are graded on the following:

1. Dress for class.
2. Participate in class.
3. Tests (there are units on physiology, steroids, other academic subjects).
4. How much did the student improve? Maxes on each piece of equipment are measured each few weeks. Grades are given for improving on their lifts.

Anyone can do well in this class, fat or not.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
You do realize the position's entire objective is to be as unmovable as possible
Thank you. You didn't respond to my question but this proves you know nothing about the athleticism needed to play defensive lineman.

Oh. And you're eating processed junk for breakfast but the shareholders would like to thank you for buying into the sales pitch.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:01 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Just because there is some niche sport's position glorifying fatness doesn't make it healthy. You do realize the position's entire objective is to be as unmovable as possible
Do you actually know anything about football other than it's on TV?

OL are not just unmovable guys. My son plays guard. He has to move. All over the field. Guards are sometimes called upon to "pull". Just being a big fat guy will not allow a player to pull. In addition to being big OL must also be mobile and fairly athletic. Not as athletic as RB but a big fat, slow slob will not work on the OL.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Well this post has reduced itself to just a lot of grasping of straws and "what in the world...what lol?" assuming in a desperate attempt to form any kind of legitimate opinions.

First, a person's BMI means near nothing because it doesn't distinguish between muscle and fat. One of the most useless tests out there.

Second, what is considered junk food is actually the best food...hence why it tastes good. It taste good because back in our hunter/gatherer days, those foods were extremely beneficial yet rare. Sugars, fats, salts, etc. Cholesterol is one of the most important substances in our body. Who knows what it actually does? Everything? No one ever eluded that it should be the only food one eats nor survives on. Maybe if we had better PE classes the ignorance wouldn't run so rampant here. A "balanced diet" (if anyone here actually knows what that is) is the key. I eat most my carbs in the morning, so what? Two servings of Reese's Puffs and I'm still under 250 calories for the meal. I don't ravage the box like a rabid emotionally compulsive eater. My blood pressure is perfect...my cholesterol is perfect despite having two egg yolks every other day. Why is that? Calories are only "empty" if you don't use them.
Oh jeez, it appears you know as much about nutrition and biology as you do about calculus.

See, hunter/gatherers did not eat refined sugar and corn syrup. Almost all of the sugars found in the primitive human diet were fruit sugars i.e. glucose and came along with dietary fiber. They also came with a variety of other nutrients.

Additionally, fats, salts, and sugars were not the BASIS for the early human diet but rather the occasional food. You can claim otherwise all you like but you would be getting less than your C average. Because if you really think Reeses is anything like a primitive diet, than you need to read up about fructose vs. glucose and their ability to be metabolized via the same pathways.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:12 PM

198 posts, read 483,258 times
Quote:
Out in the "real world" I wish I was hired for my education but quickly found it was more my personality as well as looks that were more advantageous.
Has there been any buyer's remorse on your personality?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Teachers are supposed to teach, not judge.

Students are supposed to learn. If they learn what they are taught, they should get a good grade. If their learning is exemplary, they should get an A.

PE is not about how fit you are. It is there to teach kids about sports, excercise, how the body works and how to care for your body. You can learn those things wihtout being the best at doing them. A supurb athelete who cannot be bthered with learning what is taught in PE class should get an F. A blimpy blob who learns what they are taught and becomes sufficiently knowlegable to teach a gym class (for example) should get an A.

The class is physical EDUCATON. Not Physical Achievement, or Physical perfection.

Fankly i agree that it should not be graded. An exemplary student should not be denied a coleld scholarship because they are unable to shoot baskets.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:52 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I wish it hadn't been graded when my daughter missed out on a 4-year, full-ride scholarship at our university because of her junior year gym class. She refused to "get all sweaty" because she had another class following it. As a result she earned a B or C in the class, which pulled her gpa down below the automatic full-ride scholarship level. Yes, I was peeved at her! It was her fault alone.

Now, had she tried but couldn't perform as a gifted athlete, I'd have been all over her gym teacher.

When I attended HS back in the stone age, gym wasn't graded, and you didn't get a credit for it. If you were in sports you were excused. I think that's a better way to handle it.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:02 PM

261 posts, read 357,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Listen chum, I am not the one who got a C in Calc I (or II or III or IIII ). My reading comprehension skills are fine. So maybe you should reread it. And before you go assuming I am. 5' "cankle" girl, I am a life long surfer, I am sure with your Reese's Puffs level of lifestyle you understand how it is one of the best workouts out there.

Personally, I suspect this fat kid has more to contribute to the world than you do and you realize it. Even you must know that this kid could go to
The gym and be ten times the person you appear to be but unfortunately nothing you do will make you smart.
You make me wish I could double rep!

Old 03-23-2012, 05:10 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
By all means, just give them an F and encourage them to hate physical activity for the rest of their lives. That's great for their emotional and physical well-being.
I like this response. I think the answer concerning health class and PE is simply more of it. It should be all year, every year, even if you have to combine the two or throw in elementary medical science. The U.S. in general is just struggling with overweight/obesity. Whatever we have to do to make it happen, we should make health as routine in the school year... as we want it to be in adulthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education