Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,017 times

Advertisements

Of course not.

I was eating my Reese's Puffs this morning watching the news and saw a young man just about ready to graduate HS at the top of his class mention that he has had nothing but straight A's since the sixth grade? How is this possible? How can this guy who was quite overweight ace gym class??? "A" for effort?

Where was my "A" for effort in Calculus? Spent many a night doing homework till near midnight. My lesson wasn't in the simple C grade I received but a far more valuable lesson in life I took away from it. Life isn't fair, deal with it. I'm genetically dispositioned to be mildly retarded I suppose but I get by...and have done well for myself.

Out in the "real world" I wish I was hired for my education but quickly found it was more my personality as well as looks that were more advantageous. Am I wrong here? Any other experiences? And I'm in the position where I hire other employees and I like to see healthy individuals because in my mind I connect that with ambition, high spirits, intelligence, as well as self-control. If you can't even control your own body, one person, how are you going to control many? And how will those men/women see you and will they respect you? Whether this is true or not doesn't matter, it is the idea of it that will prevent a foot in the door.

I remember when I was in middle school (6-8) and our gym teacher flat out said it was impossible for any boy or girl to get an A who didn't make it to the top of the rope, over two stories up. I mean we had to climb up and slap the rafter of the gym. Didn't make it in the 6th grade but did in the 7th along with only a few others. Why? Because most nights after school before the buses arrived, I would do pull-ups in the gym. And that simple rope challenge set me on a lifelong course for healthy living and physical development. Our gym teacher didn't care about all the PC at the time, he laid it out how it was and stuck to his guns despite all the parental pressure...and I respect him for that.

Just my opinion but I think a 6:30 mile for a HS student is a very reasonable request for an "Excellence" grade. That IS what the grade stands for "Excellence." Not impossible but with work, achievable. Now I know it may be forever impossible for 5'0 tall cankle girl but thats life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Of course not.

I was eating my Reese's Puffs this morning watching the news and saw a young man just about ready to graduate HS at the top of his class mention that he has had nothing but straight A's since the sixth grade? How is this possible? How can this guy who was quite overweight ace gym class??? "A" for effort?

Where was my "A" for effort in Calculus? Spent many a night doing homework till near midnight. My lesson wasn't in the simple C grade I received but a far more valuable lesson in life I took away from it. Life isn't fair, deal with it. I'm genetically dispositioned to be mildly retarded I suppose but I get by...and have done well for myself.

Out in the "real world" I wish I was hired for my education but quickly found it was more my personality as well as looks that were more advantageous. Am I wrong here? Any other experiences? And I'm in the position where I hire other employees and I like to see healthy individuals because in my mind I connect that with ambition, high spirits, intelligence, as well as self-control. If you can't even control your own body, one person, how are you going to control many? And how will those men/women see you and will they respect you? Whether this is true or not doesn't matter, it is the idea of it that will prevent a foot in the door.

I remember when I was in middle school (6-8) and our gym teacher flat out said it was impossible for any boy or girl to get an A who didn't make it to the top of the rope, over two stories up. I mean we had to climb up and slap the rafter of the gym. Didn't make it in the 6th grade but did in the 7th along with only a few others. Why? Because most nights after school before the buses arrived, I would do pull-ups in the gym. And that simple rope challenge set me on a lifelong course for healthy living and physical development. Our gym teacher didn't care about all the PC at the time, he laid it out how it was and stuck to his guns despite all the parental pressure...and I respect him for that.

Just my opinion but I think a 6:30 mile for a HS student is a very reasonable request for an "Excellence" grade. That IS what the grade stands for "Excellence." Not impossible but with work, achievable. Now I know it may be forever impossible for 5'0 tall cankle girl but thats life.
Solution: Stop giving out grades in elementary school PE - just make it pass or fail until high school and then make it an elective.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Of course not.

Bit of a hypocrite aren't you?

You just said you are in shape and barely got a C in calculus and then said healthy people are more intelligent? Meanwhile a fat kid is valedictorian? Seems to be YOU are the one with the skewed sense of what's valuable.

Meanwhile you brag about your looks being more valuable than suceeding in education and you want to take even that away from the chunky kid?

Just. Wow.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-23-2012 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: removed the supreme idiocy comment

Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
You don't believe the big kid can be athletic?

I guess you've never seen defensive lineman drills.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
You seem a bit fat phobic and jealous of this intelligent overweight young man. I'm open to being wrong, but that's what it sounds like.

You begin your post by mentioning the junk food you're eating for breakfast, and end by telling us about your lifetime of fitness. In the middle, you reveal your own academic struggles.... something this young man has obviously had no problems with. And then you take a pot shot at the overweight females for good measure. "Cankle girls," huh?

Physical fitness has nothing to do with academics. Sure, there is much respect to be given to people who excel in that area. But there is much respect to be given to ANYONE who does something really well, be it someone who works hard to maintain a lean, toned body.... someone who skateboards really well.... or a chubby person who is gifted academically.

For him not to be honored for his hard work, over not being able to climb a rope? Like that would really be fair. I think overweight people deal with enough.

Last edited by MSPLove; 03-22-2012 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: changed "really smart" to "gifted academically." i don't want to imply that those who struggle in school aren't smart.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Bit of a hypocrite aren't you?

You just said you are in shape and barely got a C in calculus and then said healthy people are more intelligent? Meanwhile a fat kid is valedictorian? Seems to be YOU are the one with the skewed sense of what's valuable.

Meanwhile you brag about your looks being more valuable than suceeding in education and you want to take even that away from the chunky kid?

Just. Wow.
Reread that and stop seeing what you want to see.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-23-2012 at 06:25 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Superficial hypocrites come in many forms and always seem to contradict themselves, sometimes in the same sentence but generally in the same paragraph.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Hummm Football players Sumaru Wrestlers Weight Lifters

On the Flip side my son made straight A in HS But never went to gym do to injury he was Medically excused BTW he 5' 8" 128 pounds!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:43 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Solution: Stop giving out grades in elementary school PE - just make it pass or fail until high school and then make it an elective.
I think it should always be pass-fail. Half the A-students I know are not A-grade athletes. While school is meant to develop the whole person, there is a reason to grade the 3Rs, because it translates into the ability to work on a major in college or in a trade. Grading PE can be divisive.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,386 times
I think both of my kids have had fairly decent experiences in PE...it is graded past the elementary school level.

I didn't love PE when I was a kid, so I was pleasantly surprised that PE seems, at least for both of my kids, to be a more well thought out program than what it was for me.

When people hear the opinions of people like OP, and they think that is what the PE experience should be, others have no problems seeing PE get cut to almost nothing.

Hope I made sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education