Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 06:57 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
So now fat kids can't be athletes and jocks can't be smart? For all you know this kid could be the star of the football team. Regardless WHAT you may think NO ONE for the most part takes gym in high school like its the Olympics. Whether you believe it or not blood, sweats and tears may happen if said athlete is on a varsity team. Not in a gym class. How do you know this boy doesn't have something where his weigh isn't controlled. Regardless of what you say by him being valedictorian speaks a lot about him people like him become YOUR boss.

And FYI I am a 4'11 girl who IS overweight, pulls a 100 in gym, runs a 6:43 mile, plays softball year round both on the varsity school team and travel team (which makes me a jock) and I pull a 97 overall GPA

I never said jocks can't be smart; that is a complete assumption. But as far as fat kids being athletes...anyone can be an athlete. All one has to do is be a participant in any given sport or activity requiring a put forth of physical effort. The misassumption that "athlete" means anyone particularly superior is wrong...or at the very least, half wrong...by definition. Now to say they can be superior athletes, over-competent athletes, great-excellent athletes, etc. then I say no, they can not be...from a pure health standpoint.

6:43 mile is nothing to be ashamed of. You earned a B for being "above average." A little more training and you might break the 6:30 barrier to earn an A for "excellence." Then you can rejoice in the fact that the A actually meant something. My entire point in this entire thread being gym is NOT taken seriously in the US and it should be. Ran a quick google search and 68% of Americans are overweight. Insane. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in America and yet anything to rectify it is not taken seriously. Then this kid ball-and-chains my health insurance premiums to unreal rates for supposed pre-existing conditions that were never suppose to be. I take issue with things that affect me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
What is your obsession withthe may I ask???

Oh and only 11th grade. You realize that 9-11th grade gym the way you explain is only a year and a half of gym. So since "rural schools" know how to do it I guess these NY school which mandate gym every other day until you GRADUATE Do it wrong, meanwhile you sat down your senior year without gym and did what exactly?
Oh I took gym my senior year, it just wasn't mandatory. In fact, most took it.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:10 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I graduated at 6'1 tall and 120 lbs, and could easily run a 6 minute mile because of my height and long legs (less strides, less effort). I guess I should have been given an automatic A because of my natural skills? The fastest mile I ran was in the low 6s without any training whatsoever...no effort, just natural. I was really lazy and ate junk, rarely exercised and just didn't give two craps about PE. I think the 5' tall girl who worked her rear off to shave a minute off of her time deserves the good grade, not the person who didn't try but has a natural aptitude for it.

In many cases, effort and progress should be rewarded more than natural gifts.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I graduated at 6'1 tall and 120 lbs, and could easily run a 6 minute mile because of my height and long legs (less strides, less effort). I guess I should have been given an automatic A because of my natural skills? The fastest mile I ran was in the low 6s without any training whatsoever...no effort, just natural. I was really lazy and ate junk, rarely exercised and just didn't give two craps about PE. I think the 5' tall girl who worked her rear off to shave a minute off of her time deserves the good grade, not the person who didn't try but has a natural aptitude for it.

In many cases, effort and progress should be rewarded more than natural gifts.
But when it comes to class work, we're graded on barely anything more than aptitude. Did the smartest kids really study their butt off? Ha, I know mine didn't. Did my teacher really care I studied four hours the night before and yet Doogie Howser half paid attention in class and aced the test...I doubt she did.

But isn't this how the real world is, you're not graded on effort, you're graded on results?

Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Let me guess: The valedictorian in your class was overweight (in your eyes) and if he/she hadn't gotten an A in gym -- and if you hadn't whiffed on your calculus tests -- then you'd have been the valedictorian, and all these years later you're still stewing about it.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:50 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
In our HS PE is graded on a combination of things - effort, improvement, dressing up and doing well on tests. Yes, there are tests on the rules of different sports. Anyone can earn an A, but you have to do well in all of the above. Our school does a combination of team sports, like kickball and lacrosse and individual fitness like kick-boxing and weight training.

I think that's how PE should be graded. Every subject has different criteria. You wouldn't be graded on dressing correctly in Science because how you dress has nothing to do with the class, but that does matter in PE.

High School isn't supposed to be a complete reflection of "real life", it's supposed to be High School.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:45 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
But when it comes to class work, we're graded on barely anything more than aptitude. Did the smartest kids really study their butt off? Ha, I know mine didn't. Did my teacher really care I studied four hours the night before and yet Doogie Howser half paid attention in class and aced the test...I doubt she did.

But isn't this how the real world is, you're not graded on effort, you're graded on results?
Are you for real?

You do realize there is a difference in class work and gym right?

I see lots of buff guys at the gym - I don't think they are nearing CEO status anytime soon. Success in one of those arenas is not necessarily a predictor of success in another.

I can't believe I just spent a minute of my life typing this.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Let me guess: The valedictorian in your class was overweight (in your eyes) and if he/she hadn't gotten an A in gym -- and if you hadn't whiffed on your calculus tests -- then you'd have been the valedictorian, and all these years later you're still stewing about it.
Not really...the top of my class was also one of the best athletes in my school. A jack-of-all-trades and a natural learner. Where many jocks fell short was the fact that we were average learners needing to actually study. Of course that's made difficult traveling around to various sporting events and not having the time to sit down at a quiet desk at home and take it all in. He is also one of my best friends and there is no way the kid aforementioned could hold any kind of candle to him. I respect people who deserve respect, not some pseudo perfectionist who is anything but, walking around with gimme A grades.

-----

And again the point of the post is the fact gym is not graded like the rest of the classes. I already know it isn't graded the same. Repeatedly stating that it isn't graded the same is duh, no crap What I'm saying with 68% of the US is overweight and heart disease epidemic, obviously what we're doing is not working. "Ehh...it is just HS gym class." You're right, I don't disagree, that is "all" it is. Getting graded on simply changing into shorts, you're s***'n me right? Yeah, and I showed up to English with a pencil...that's at least one letter grade there. One's health should be at the forefront of any kind of learning. Healthy body, healthy mind, productive employees. Schools teach health like a total joke and it shows...68%...unreal...

Old 03-25-2012, 09:52 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post

And again the point of the post is the fact gym is not graded like the rest of the classes. I already know it isn't graded the same. Repeatedly stating that it isn't graded the same is duh, no crap
It is graded the same as many hands on classes. The laboratory classes all include tests AND participation grades. The same as PE.

And maybe you need to be told what PE means, it means physical education, NOT physical fitness. The student is being graded on their knowledge of physical education not on their degree of physical fitness. Your inability to grasp simple definitions again suggest that the real issue is that you are jealous of those smarter than you, like this overweight boy was. You know a simple lifestyle change will mean he your "better" in all ways not just intelligence.

Quote:
What I'm saying with 68% of the US is overweight and heart disease epidemic, obviously what we're doing is not working. "Ehh...it is just HS gym class." You're right, I don't disagree, that is "all" it is. Getting graded on simply changing into shorts, you're s***'n me right?
Again, genuis, many classes do give credit for coming prepared. Frequently, coming prepared can earn students 10%, even in academic courses. In lab classes it can count for as much as 40% of lab credits.

Quote:
Yeah, and I showed up to English with a pencil...that's at least one letter grade there. One's health should be at the forefront of any kind of learning. Healthy body, healthy mind, productive employees.
You have already established that YOU do not have a "healthy" mind being less than average in intellect and that your understanding of what is or is not a healthy meal is wrong too.

Quote:
Basically Schools teach health like a total joke and it shows...68%...unreal...
There is significantly more to a teenagers health than their weight. 68% of teens are NOT OVERWEIGHT. It is less than 33% of teens. So in the interest of serving the common good it deals with issues more teens face, like sex ed, driving safety, and yes one year of nutrition, at least that is the norm in most states.

If you think the epidemic of overweight and obese adults is due to HIGH SCHOOL gym class you really are an idiot. The obesity of adults is due almost entirely due to our sedentary lifestyle and diets established within FAMILIES. Expecting a single class in high school to change that makes you the idiot not the fat valedictorian.

And how do you even know this kid HAD to take PE? Many schools no longer require it. And for the last time WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE? Except that you are obviously trying to belittle someone so you can feel better about yourself. After all if you were really "healthy" in body and mind, you wouldn't feel the need to belittle others.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-25-2012 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: removed insult

Old 03-25-2012, 10:40 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Should unattractive students get As in cosmetology?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education