Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,322 times

Advertisements

My oldest Grandaughter who is 8 years old has just started a new school. At her previous school she was very happy. She enjoyed going to school and loved her teacher. At this school there were no problems..
This is her first week at the new school, enjoys her new friends..but does not like her teacher. She tells me her teacher yells at her. At her previous school when I asked her how her day was, she would tell me the good and the not so good. At any time she was corrected by her teacher in class she would always say..the teacher got mad at me..or I made my teacher upset...With this new teacher...Its "she yells at me.". When I asked her for more details she said, one time it was because she was colouring and went out side the lines. The other incident was because she printed a few letters backwards,..Today it was that she was biting her nails. I can understand on all of these occurances that correction is needed..but to yell at a child..I think that is uncalled for. I have asked my daughter to keep a daily diary for the next two weeks. Too ask my grandaughter when she comes home from school..what positive things her teacher said to her and what negative things were said..Also to high light if the term yelling is used. As I have stated previous..I have no problem with children being corrected in class..but yelling at children is way over the top. If this pattern continues I have asked my daughter to set up a meeting and see how we can resolve this..Any input in this matter would be greatly appreciated..Thank you.
Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:41 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,357 times
Maybe you shouldn't trust all the information your 8 year old granddaughter tells you. Just a thought: Children LIE. Schedule an interview with the teacher and stop taking what your grandkids tell you as sacred truth.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 PM

42 posts, read 86,770 times
You need to have your daughter speak with the teacher because that is the only true way to address any problem. I can guarantee you you that showing up with a list of accusations from a two week span of quasi-observation will only result in a defensive teacher who feels like he/she is being confronted. The best action is to have your daughter call the teacher and ask about it.

Remember that "Yelling" is hard to define although I do understand that your grandchild did not use the term "yelling" before. It is completely possible that the community term for getting in trouble in the first class was "got mad at me" while the community term in the new class is "yelled at me."

Old 03-25-2012, 02:38 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmag54 View Post
My oldest Grandaughter who is 8 years old has just started a new school. At her previous school she was very happy. She enjoyed going to school and loved her teacher. At this school there were no problems..
This is her first week at the new school, enjoys her new friends..but does not like her teacher. She tells me her teacher yells at her. At her previous school when I asked her how her day was, she would tell me the good and the not so good. At any time she was corrected by her teacher in class she would always say..the teacher got mad at me..or I made my teacher upset...With this new teacher...Its "she yells at me.". When I asked her for more details she said, one time it was because she was colouring and went out side the lines. The other incident was because she printed a few letters backwards,..Today it was that she was biting her nails. I can understand on all of these occurances that correction is needed..but to yell at a child..I think that is uncalled for. I have asked my daughter to keep a daily diary for the next two weeks. Too ask my grandaughter when she comes home from school..what positive things her teacher said to her and what negative things were said..Also to high light if the term yelling is used. As I have stated previous..I have no problem with children being corrected in class..but yelling at children is way over the top. If this pattern continues I have asked my daughter to set up a meeting and see how we can resolve this..Any input in this matter would be greatly appreciated..Thank you.
Paul.

Teachers that yell are bullies. You, as grandfather can have a talk with this teacher and ask her if she would like for you to yell at her. Of course, don't...lowering yourself to her level but asking her that may help awaken her from her "auto-pilot" behavior that is so very wrong.

A teacher yelled at my older daughter once, and we had a talk and I told her that it was unacceptable, schooled her in patience and it did not happen again.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:35 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3days View Post
You need to have your daughter speak with the teacher because that is the only true way to address any problem. I can guarantee you you that showing up with a list of accusations from a two week span of quasi-observation will only result in a defensive teacher who feels like he/she is being confronted. The best action is to have your daughter call the teacher and ask about it.

Remember that "Yelling" is hard to define although I do understand that your grandchild did not use the term "yelling" before. It is completely possible that the community term for getting in trouble in the first class was "got mad at me" while the community term in the new class is "yelled at me."
I cannot tell you how many times I have heard students claim that someone has "yelled at" them. When they're asked about it in detail, they usually (not just often, but almost always) reveal that the teacher did not actually raise his or her voice above a normal speaking level. When asked further what they mean by "yelling" if the teacher didn't actually raise his or her voice, students often say the teacher "said mean things." When asked to specify with the actual words the teacher actually said, it'll often be comments like, "You need to stop texting during class," or "Make sure to keep your eyes on your own paper." In short, any words that are not positive and fuzzy are frequently characterized as "yelling."

Make sure you clarify this issue before speaking to the teacher.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
I cannot tell you how many times I have heard students claim that someone has "yelled at" them. When they're asked about it in detail, they usually (not just often, but almost always) reveal that the teacher did not actually raise his or her voice above a normal speaking level. When asked further what they mean by "yelling" if the teacher didn't actually raise his or her voice, students often say the teacher "said mean things." When asked to specify with the actual words the teacher actually said, it'll often be comments like, "You need to stop texting during class," or "Make sure to keep your eyes on your own paper." In short, any words that are not positive and fuzzy are frequently characterized as "yelling."

I corrected a student once in a normal voice and that student said "Don't get mad and yell at me." Go figure.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:08 PM

526 posts, read 1,003,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post

This absolutely!

Old 03-25-2012, 03:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Teachers that yell are bullies. You, as grandfather can have a talk with this teacher and ask her if she would like for you to yell at her. Of course, don't...lowering yourself to her level but asking her that may help awaken her from her "auto-pilot" behavior that is so very wrong.

A teacher yelled at my older daughter once, and we had a talk and I told her that it was unacceptable, schooled her in patience and it did not happen again.
In my school we are not allowed to discuss a students in anyway with anyone who is not a parent or legal guardian. I wouldn't even return a phone call from a grandparent, let alone discuss something like this with them. If there is an issue let the PARENT handle it.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:48 PM

42 posts, read 86,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I corrected a student once in a normal voice and that student said "Don't get mad and yell at me." Go figure.
My students say this all the time-- It is their way of expressing that they got in trouble. It doesn't mean I yelled at them or even corrected them. It just means that they got caught doing something wrong.

They tell me the same thing about administrators and parents... I can only assume that "yelled at" has taken on a new connotative meaning for this generation. Remember they have grown up with the notion that typing in "CAPS" is yelling.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
Is your Granddaughter telling this information to her parent/s? If not, I would let them know how the child is feeling and let them decide if speaking with the teacher is warranted.

My daughter had a similar incident with her 3rd grade teacher last year. This teacher was very condescending and sarcastic to not only my daughter but others. She was basically forced into retiring after the year was over, so I think this is where a lot of this came from. I spoke with her directly about it and let her know that her attitiude and actions were unacceptable. It stopped for a bit, but then started again, so I had my daughter move to another class.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education