Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the HIGH SCHOOL you attended have any of the facilities on the list?
Gymnasium 67 95.71%
Locker Rooms 67 95.71%
Football / soccer field 62 88.57%
Computer Lab/s 44 62.86%
Swimming pool 26 37.14%
Hot tub 6 8.57%
Weight room 49 70.00%
Video / TV production lab 22 31.43%
Kitchen (for student / class usage) 32 45.71%
Tennis courts 45 64.29%
Track 56 80.00%
Radio station 7 10.00%
Theater 45 64.29%
Weather station 6 8.57%
Dorms 1 1.43%
Observatory 3 4.29%
Pub / bar 2 2.86%
Student parking lot 49 70.00%
Childcare Facilities 10 14.29%
Nature / hiking trails 15 21.43%
None of the above 1 1.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:29 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times

Advertisements

When I was in high school a very long time ago the newest high schools all had student smoking lounges. The students who smoked at the other, older schools all had to stand outside in the rain or snow to smoke cigarettes. Today if you want to smoke (even if you are an adult) you need to be at least 500 feet from the school property. Of course, with all of the taxes on cigarettes in Wisconsin, most teachers can't afford to smoke even if they wanted to do so.

P.S. When I was in HS we also had great typing labs, as it was long before schools had computer labs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
My HS also didn't have a student parking lot and very,very few students drove to school. My HS was in a residental area & a few of the richer students paid nearby homeowners to park in their driveways so they wouldn't have to worry about fighting for the extremely limited on-street parking spaces.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,115,633 times
Interesting. I'm surprised how many schools had pools, and how few had nature trails.

We had swimming teams, but they were in conjunction with the Marshall (private school) and Proctor (public school) district. They practiced at Proctor's pool.

I just happened to remember that my dad's HS had a pool.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:21 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,115,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LOL at a high school having a bar. Is this your wet dream list from when you were 14?
No, some high schools or their equivalents in different countries with lower drinking ages have on-site bars, believe it or not.

And the hot tub - my school had that. It was in the boy's locker room, and its purpose was to let football players warm up before / after cold winter games.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,917,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Interesting. I'm surprised how many schools had pools, and how few had nature trails.

We had swimming teams, but they were in conjunction with the Marshall (private school) and Proctor (public school) district. They practiced at Proctor's pool.

I just happened to remember that my dad's HS had a pool.
There were more nature trails 50 plus years ago for students. It was called a hike of a couple miles across neighbors fields to get to your one room schoolhouse. Damn glad I missed out on this purely organic and totally natural endeavor. Student parking however, was available if they had a horse.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:29 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Heh, went I went to high school, computer hadn't yet made it to American Webster! But we had a typing lab.
Same here. My metric converter, which only did basic math and converted from english to metric and back was state of the art. As were the Selectric II typewriters we had. I made it up to a whopping 45 WPM.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:15 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Did the HIGH SCHOOL(s) you attended have any of the facilities on the list?

my school's athletic facilities were all district owned but all off campus. like for instance the swimming pool was off campus technically.

the football practice field, the jv baseball field, the varsity baseball stadium (yes stadium not field), softball field and soccer fields were all located a few blocks over in one big athletic complex.

we had a very nice theater, technically we had a radio station but it hadn't been used in years i'm sure.

the home ec classes had kitchens and the school did provide child care services those that needed it in conjunction with the home ec classes.

our varsity football stadium was and still is downtown and is very nice. when i was there it was nice now it's really nice. all weather rubberized track, turf field for the football / soccer fields. new jumbotron scoreboard in the last 5 years. the stadium is used annually by the state for playoff football games that are great money makers to keep up with operations of the stadium plus the catholic high school in the city uses the stadium as well and pays a small rental fee.

looking back now that i teach and coach myself i can safely say at my school we were spoiled athletically. at the time we as teens didn't think much of what we had. but now we were well taken care of when i look back at things.

our weight room was ridiculous. the summer after my 10th grade year they bought all brand new equipment, machines that when you saw them for the first time looked like nothing we could even imagine. it was all hammer strength stuff. I can remember going on college tours the summer before my senior year and seeing the college's weight room and laughing at a few in comparison to my high school's weight room.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,775,291 times
Our school had an indoor swimming pool and swim was part of our PE requirement. It stunk to have swim in the middle of the day. When my older siblings went to high school (in the late 70's), the school had a smoking lounge for the students. By the time I got there in the early 80's, it was gone, although the teachers may have been able to smoke in the teachers lounge. Good times.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:15 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
My high school has more now than it did when I attended in the 90s. It's also a different, new building, in a different location, built to spec. The 1920s building with several cobbled-on 1950s-1970s additions was razed in the early 2000s. When I attended we had the basics...gym, football field with a track. We shared city tennis courts and city baseball diamonds/softball diamonds for other sports. We had a wrestling room and a weight room. We had an auditorium. No pool (still doesn't).

Computer labs were only starting to be installed in schools when I was in HS; we had keyboarding classroom. The newer school of course has several. We didn't have anything, really, by way of higher tech stuff (no radio, no TV production lab, etc.) We did have a HUGE agricultural mechanics building, with a gigantic garage door big enough to roll in tractors and combines to be worked on.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Now, I went to 2 different high schools. Real posh private school for 9th & 10th, and public for 11th & 12th. I answered for the public school, meaning no swimming pool or hiking trails. I graduated in 1978.

What high school has a bar?! Colleges hardly have them anymore due to the change in drinking age! Do you mean fancy "bistro-style" cafeterias?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education