Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a cop job they just tape u not the gangstas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I once worked for an administrator whose credo was this: speak to and treat your students the way you would if their parents were standing right behind you. In loco parentis...

Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I'm sure if he asked he would post the whole 6 hours of tape. That is not the point though. I don't care what context was used, it is unacceptable to call any child a bastard or to tell kids to shut their mouths. It is also unacceptable to talk about getting drunk and puking. It is also unacceptable to tell this poor boy that "no" he won't see his dad after his mom, especially when they knew what the boy was talking about and they intentionally set out to hurt his feelings.

How about what the teachers did to this child? They are adults and therefore responsible for their actions. The school board is obviously sweeping this under the rug and that is why the dad did this. All he wants in an apology from these people and they don't even have the common decency to give it to him.
As I said, with my volume full blast I do not hear someone call the child a bas****. I hear some talk in the background and then dad says they called him a bas****. I have to wonder why the mic didn't pick up this as clearly as it picked up the other comments?

I have said the alchohol talk was inexcusable and it sounds like the person who did that was fired for doing so.

As to telling him no to seeing dad after mom, have you ever misunderstood a question and answered incorrectly? You may find this hard to believe but teachers are not perfect. I misspeak or misanswer questions all the time. It's not intentional. Yes, the teacher said no but you have no idea whether this was to be mean. Dad says it was but he doesn't know either. He's just trying to do as much damage as possible and he may fry for that yet give he's published this tape without the consent of people who never gave their consent to make it in the first place.

From listening to what dad published, it sounds like the aide is the one making the comments yet he's attacking the teacher. The aide has been fired. Dad wants to see the teacher's head roll. I'm going to defer to the school board, which, undoubtedly, heard the entire tape and their decision to keep her on.

As I said, if you taped my entire day and picked out my worst moments to put into one 5 minute tape, I'd look pretty bad. I'm going to guess there were some good moments too that dad chose not to devulge.

Only a fool believes one side of a story. I think the fact the school did not fire her is telling of what is on the rest of the tape.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:36 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I would have no problem being taped all day long when I was a teacher. I would have issues though, with things being taken out of context.

I have personally seen very unprofessional behavior by staff. Everyone knows who the bad teachers are in a school. The ones who slide by with poor reviews and lazy administrators who don't document the issues.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I once worked for an administrator whose credo was this: speak to and treat your students the way you would if their parents were standing right behind you. In loco parentis...
I agree with that. Now if I can just get my students to do that.

Actually, I will be. I've been given permission to record my classes . My guess is behavior issues are going to drop to nothing when the camera goes in....

I'm sitting here thinking "There but for the grace of God go I". I have one class that is testing my mettle and I handle them better on some days than others. God forbid someone decided to record me during that class and take the worst snippets out of context to put on the internet. Sometimes, you need to know what happened in the half hour leading up to a comment. While not right, sometimes, it's understandable why something was said. I have a couple of students who push the limits then act like angels when it comes time to talk to parents. I will be so glad when the camera is installed. I'm thinking I won't tell the kids right away . It might do good for mom and dad to SEE how their little angel behaves when they aren't looking. Of course, I am not stupid enough to do something like post the video on the internet. You'd have to be a fool to do that because you're risking everything.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 04-24-2012 at 06:48 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
Take a look here, obviously there is a lot more audio and what these people are talking about during class is amazing.

Teacher/Bully

Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I would have no problem being taped all day long when I was a teacher. I would have issues though, with things being taken out of context.

I have personally seen very unprofessional behavior by staff. Everyone knows who the bad teachers are in a school. The ones who slide by with poor reviews and lazy administrators who don't document the issues.
ITA!

I asked to have a camera put in my room because I can't seem to both conduct labs and keep one of my classes from damaging equipment. I need eyes in the back of my head. The camera will be those eyes. It will also record me, of course which will protect me as I can prove my behavior.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:46 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It is out of context. It's snippets of audio without the advantage of hearing what lead up to what was said.

The alcohol talk was inexcusable any way you slice it but I have heard very good special ed teachers tell students to shut their mouths or that their tantrums will not get them anywhere. If you played just a recording of that and not the half hour that led up to the incident you might think they were awful teachers when they're not. We don't have the advantage of hearing the entire tape like the school board that decided not to fire the teacher did.
I'm sorry, but I have to question your judgement if you think a good teacher would ever say that.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:

This goes doubly for paras. I have worked with districts who take the special ed para role seriously, view it as critical to student growth, and pay for and retain quality professionals. I have also worked with districts who take bottom of the barrel trash, who are all that apply because the position isn't held in esteem, respected, or compensated decently. Whichever way it goes is usuallly a reflection of the administration's attitude toward how thie special ed program is run...do they want excellence, or is it about plugging in warm bodies to keep kids occupied? Whatever you hired is what you get.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Quote:

Ditto. I video-taped myself pretty often when I was a teacher and then turned them in to the administration at the end of the year to use in my evaluation. These days no one ever observes or evaluates me, but I keep telling them anyone is welcome in my classroom anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education