Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
For some schools, this is a huge outlay. Where I am now, even being a wealthy district, this would be a major expense because of the need to have a closed circuit network.

I run a network (over IP) in my house... 4 cameras, with IR.... about $500.
(Well, I have added quite a bit since then).

Because of privacy issues, the feed could not go over the internet or wireless. It has to be controlled in house and kept in house (Lord forbid they accidentally record two kids having sex for example and that got out (From what I hear, every few years a couple gets caught somewhere they shouldn't be.)

Geez... you need to go back to industry. While the companies I worked at had rather exotic CCTV's, that could read your license plate at 500 yards if you were caught having sex in your car in the parking lot... boom... you were terminated.
We had streaming video accessible all over the world. If you aren't doing anything wrong, then there shouldn't be any worries. (Well only the incompetent teachers should worry).

In the last school I taught in, my entire budget for supplies for chemistry and physics was less than $300/year. There is no way they'd spend nearly $600/room on cameras.

$600 would easily do 4 rooms, as I did at home, and once you take the advantage of scale, it would be less than $150/room. This IS the 21st century.

In the last town I lived in, they spent $60M for the school... I think that, if it cost $5K for the school cameras/recorders, then the total fraction of the budget for that is 0.0083% of the bill.

I only see this entire subject as an issue if someone has something to hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 02:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
If I were teaching, I woudl have my own camera system. I am not going to trust my career and my freedom to some school admministrator. "Ooops I erased, lost, recorded over, etcetera, your video" A complete system with one or two cameras and a device to store the recordings is cheap insuarnce agaisnt the risks involved. Yes Teachers do nto get paid that much, but they still buy car insurance, health insurance, and frequently life insurance. I think a one time expenditure of $600 is pretty cheap freedom insurance. You pay all that money and effort to get a degree and get certified, why risk throwing it all away to save a measly $600?

I do not know why all teachers do not record their classrooms whenever they are in it. However I do not know any teachers who do. Yet, I can think of a dozen schools I know of where teachers were fired due to student accusations (which in at least two cases were discredited later, but the teachers did not return to teaching).

Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
People need to remember that teachers are professionals.

I see, so those of us in private industry (many of those I have known personally, and some have won Nobel Prizes) are on camera all the time at work, but the lofty 'professional' teachers don't want to be.

They have complete many, many years of schooling which involving being "weeded out" if you're not teacher material.

We need a reality check here. 'splain to me Lucy, how they are 'weeded out'. They just get passed around.

Schools need to treat teachers with the respect of any other professional.

Thank you for proving my point. The top individuals (professionals) in many occupations are on camera all the time. So let's have the teachers ante up to the bar, like the rest of us did.
I keep stating, if you have nothing to hide, then you shouldn't care. Personally, I would WANT a camera for my own protection. JMHO

Old 05-02-2012, 02:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If I were teaching, I woudl have my own camera system. I am not going to trust my career and my freedom to some school admministrator. "Ooops I erased, lost, recorded over, etcetera, your video" A complete system with one or two cameras and a device to store the recordings is cheap insuarnce agaisnt the risks involved. Yes Teachers do nto get paid that much, but they still buy car insurance, health insurance, and frequently life insurance. I think a one time expenditure of $600 is pretty cheap freedom insurance. You pay all that money and effort to get a degree and get certified, why risk throwing it all away to save a measly $600?

I do not know why all teachers do not record their classrooms whenever they are in it. However I do not know any teachers who do. Yet, I can think of a dozen schools I know of where teachers were fired due to student accusations (which in at least two cases were discredited later, but the teachers did not return to teaching).
I agree. That's why I bought my own camera. In my last school I asked for permission to record labs but was told no. Here I was given the green light. The alternative is we don't do labs with the lower level classes. That's not acceptable. Those kids need them more. It's the hands on stuff that piques their interest. The camera is the eyes in the back of my head I need because kids are being destructive. I also like that recordings protect me.

I don't make much but web cams are cheap (fortunately, I have a school issued lap top).

Old 05-02-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I keep stating, if you have nothing to hide, then you shouldn't care. Personally, I would WANT a camera for my own protection. JMHO
Who is saying they don't want to be on camera? Most of us are saying that cameras are fine. It's broadcasting our day to parents that is the issue. People in industry are often on camera but no one broadcasts the video to their customers!!!!

Old 05-02-2012, 03:27 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I see, so those of us in private industry (many of those I have known personally, and some have won Nobel Prizes) are on camera all the time at work, but the lofty 'professional' teachers don't want to be.

I don't remember saying anything about "non-professionals" so it sounds like you have a bit of a biased against teachers already. I was simply saying that teachers put in the time to be effective and professional so big brother should not be there to monitor their every move.

We need a reality check here. 'splain to me Lucy, how they are 'weeded out'. They just get passed around.

It's Nancy, not Lucy. As for your reality check, do some research; teachers have checkpoints they have to pass through otherwise they get kicked out of their program similar to dentists, xray techs, etc.

Thank you for proving my point. The top individuals (professionals) in many occupations are on camera all the time. So let's have the teachers ante up to the bar, like the rest of us did.

That's a rather childish reasoning...I have to be video recorded on the job so everyone else should have to too. Give me a break! Considering the events that have happened in schools recently, I think it may be appropriate for the principal, superintendent, etc. to have the right to see what goes on in the classroom; however parents wanting to see their child's every move is overbearing, and unreasonable.

I can only imagine the fights that would happen when one parent would want their child video taped when their desk-neighbor doesn't want to be visible to other parents.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
I can only imagine the fights that would happen when one parent would want their child video taped when their desk-neighbor doesn't want to be visible to other parents.
I, for one, do not want my child visable to other parents. My kids can be embarassing, lol.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
You could use your laptop to video your classrom, right?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,729,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I have used my iPad2 to document student behavior.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Not if you're using it to deliver a lecture.

Anyone know any good software (free) to use to make video with an HP lap top?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education