Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

The recent economic reports were somewhat knocked back a bit by slowed employment growth. The leading factor in employment slowing was cutbacks by school districts due to budget crises.

Wheil there is usually a lot of fat to trim in school admnistration, it seems that teachers is the last place we want to be cutting back. I worry about the future of our country if they cannot figure out how to adequately fund the schools. (I would like to seem them eliminate all the layers of cirriculum directors and others whose job it is to make sure education programs fit an agenda and instead focus on pletiful good teachers, but I know that is not going to happen, so the cuts worry me a great deal.)

Anyone heard any positive solutions that may stem the tide of cuts, or is this likely to continue to grow as a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
I believe it will continue until private enterprise takes over education much like they are doing in Detroit with the EAA and have done in New Orleans after Katrina.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The recent economic reports were somewhat knocked back a bit by slowed employment growth. The leading factor in employment slowing was cutbacks by school districts due to budget crises.

Wheil there is usually a lot of fat to trim in school admnistration, it seems that teachers is the last place we want to be cutting back. I worry about the future of our country if they cannot figure out how to adequately fund the schools. (I would like to seem them eliminate all the layers of cirriculum directors and others whose job it is to make sure education programs fit an agenda and instead focus on pletiful good teachers, but I know that is not going to happen, so the cuts worry me a great deal.)

Anyone heard any positive solutions that may stem the tide of cuts, or is this likely to continue to grow as a problem?

i saw on cnn or msnbc one or the other a report the other night out of york county, pa and i think one entire congressional district that said the state is slashing edu spending by the billions and in the end is going to result in something like 45:1 classroom student teacher ratios. i've taught a class of 38 once a few years back and that was with "honors" level kids and it was still a task. can't imagine 45 of the rougher kids in one single classroom and whats gonna happen.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:29 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I believe it will continue until private enterprise takes over education much like they are doing in Detroit with the EAA and have done in New Orleans after Katrina.
The private enterprise takeovers in those two cities, though, have seem to have led to even greater education cutbacks in spending and number of jobs. (Although at least for New Orleans it is hard to tell, since each of the 40+ charter schools keeps its own books there.)

Old 05-06-2012, 08:02 AM

632 posts, read 1,516,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
i saw on cnn or msnbc one or the other a report the other night out of york county, pa and i think one entire congressional district that said the state is slashing edu spending by the billions and in the end is going to result in something like 45:1 classroom student teacher ratios. i've taught a class of 38 once a few years back and that was with "honors" level kids and it was still a task. can't imagine 45 of the rougher kids in one single classroom and whats gonna happen.
My first year teaching nearly 20 years ago, I taught a class of 40...it was glorified crowd-control. Very little authentic learning actually took place. Thank goodness my biggest class since has been 31, with most of them 25 today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education