Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Free education is free education. When any part of it has to be paid for, then it is not free anymore, and there is then no difference between the USA and Congo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 02:05 AM

503 posts, read 806,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Yes, I do want to include in a public education the things that *I* find to be "basic". So what? It's my opinion.

I'm thrilled that other parents (like me, btw) pay for lessons, sports, and classes. Wow, is that now considered something unique or special? You have kids, you pay for them....is that a novel concept? Again, charity is a wonderful thing. It's also voluntary. Just because I donate to charities doesn't mean that everyone should be FORCED to contribute- which is what taxes are. Taxes are "donations" at gunpoint. But I don't suppose you understand that.
And your opinion is filled with more holes than swiss cheese.

Music classes are >curricular<.....just like math, science and history. They are no less a part of the regular school day than anything else.

By your flawed illogic, parents should be directly paying for microscopes, chalk, and every other school supply for >curricular< courses.

Kids in music classes are already paying far more into their programs than they are taking out of it.

Again....it may be your opinion, but your opinion is fatally flawed.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Free education is free education. When any part of it has to be paid for, then it is not free anymore, and there is then no difference between the USA and Congo.
Our free education is paid for by our taxes. It's not *really* free. It is subsidized.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
One thing our school bought (when the budget went south) was a photocopier which could copy consumable workbooks. Are the sheets that come home particularly pretty? No. But they do serve a purpose, and it was a whole lot cheaper than buying books.

It also violates copyright laws....
You can buy consumables that are legally reproducible.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Our free education is paid for by our taxes. It's not *really* free. It is subsidized.
Umm -- it's free to the USERS. To use your reasoning, we don't have free elections in this country either. The cost of conducting the election and verifying the results is paid for by our taxes.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:08 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
And your opinion is filled with more holes than swiss cheese.

Music classes are >curricular<.....just like math, science and history. They are no less a part of the regular school day than anything else.

By your flawed illogic, parents should be directly paying for microscopes, chalk, and every other school supply for >curricular< courses.

Kids in music classes are already paying far more into their programs than they are taking out of it.

Again....it may be your opinion, but your opinion is fatally flawed.
I think that we disagree on what subjects should be included in a 'basic education', and that's fine. I'm not afraid of disagreement. It's not about logic, it's about opinion.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Umm -- it's free to the USERS. To use your reasoning, we don't have free elections in this country either. The cost of conducting the election and verifying the results is paid for by our taxes.
Do you think that the parents don't pay taxes?

Now, they may not pay the entire cost of the child's education, which is why I say it is subsidized, but they too pay taxes, so the school is not entirely free. Depending on where you live and how much property tax you pay, you pay a hefty price for that education. Even if you rent, btw, you pay property taxes because the landlord passes a good portion of it to his renters.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 PM

301 posts, read 804,260 times
I went to a private school and had to pay for books grades 7-12.

To require that in public school would be absolutely ridiculous. Public school education should be free. I spent something like $600 on textbooks my junior year of high school. I spent around $300-400 in 7th grade.

When I did attend a public school, we checked our books out of the library at the beginning of the year and when we turned them in at the end of the year, they noted the condition. If it was lost, stolen, or damaged, we had to pay.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:03 AM

503 posts, read 806,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
It's not about logic, it's about opinion.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 AM

25,946 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Well, we buy breakfast and lunch for the kids whose parents can't afford that so I guess books make sense, either that or "family planning". I favor paying for the "family planning".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education