Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,154,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
lol
Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,154,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
But are you really VERY good at English, compared to other students?
Not to judge you but I really did not see anyone with very good language aptitude failing miserably on math.

Maybe English is hard to measure, because usually the average score in class is B or higher. The humanities professors are less harsh to students. I also took a graduate anthropology course. English is not my native language and I can tell my writings etc. were not good at all. But I still received an A. Even I think it is unfair.

How did you do in foreign language classes? Can you speak a foreign language? This is a more reliable measure of language aptitude.

All I mean is that different subjects require largely overlapping capabilities on high school or lower levels, because all things are "basic" and "easy" really.
This is not true. The term papers that I wrote for science classes in college that I was forced to take received A's. That same paper probably would not have received a C in an English class. English professors are very, very picky. Remember, in science and math you are either correct or incorrect. So if you were talented in those subjects, it was much easier to get good grades in them.

I was absolutely dreadful at math (at least algebra), but extremely talented in English and journalism. I also was not good at science.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,769,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
This is not true. The term papers that I wrote for science classes in college that I was forced to take received A's. That same paper probably would not have received a C in an English class. English professors are very, very picky. Remember, in science and math you are either correct or incorrect. So if you were talented in those subjects, it was much easier to get good grades in them.

I was absolutely dreadful at math (at least algebra), but extremely talented in English and journalism. I also was not good at science.
A typical science class in college does not let you write a lot of papers.
You do projects and take exams.

Yes, it is either right or wrong, so you are either good or bad.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,896,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But there in LA, you have those Taj Mahal schools you can't afford. It's a matter of priorities.

"The Los Angeles Unified School District is facing a $640 million budget shortfall, but you’d never know it by looking at its newest school. The Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools complex will be the nation’s most expensive public school when it opens next month, clocking in at $578 million. It features fine art murals, a marble RFK memorial, a public park, a state-of-the-art pool—and it’s housed in the former Ambassador Hotel, site of RFK’s assassination, the AP reports."

Cash-Strapped LA Builds $578M School - And it's the district's third 'Taj Mahal'

"At $578 million—or about $140,000 per student—the 24-acre Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools complex in mid-Wilshire is the most expensive school ever constructed in U.S. history. To put the price in context, this city's Staples sports and entertainment center cost $375 million. To put it in a more important context, the school district is currently running a $640 million deficit and has had to lay off 3,000 teachers in the last two years. It also has one of the lowest graduation rates in the country and some of the worst test scores."

Allysia Finley: Broke—and Building the Most Expensive School in U.S. History - WSJ.com
I wonder why LA corruption, cronyism doesn't get the attention or have the same public image as Chicago or New Orleans? I think LA cronyism would make a New Orleans politician blush.

The backstage deal making and money changing hands in LA is staggering. The schools are about the 12th or 15th priority here. I think they almost on purpose perpetually fail students to create an indentured servitude underclass.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,945,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
For someone like me who cannot do numbers, that triangle would be easy as long as you gave me a formula to follow. That's not the kind of math that is hard when we say math is hard. That's not even math to me. x + y = ? Now that is math, the kind of math that is incomprehensible to me.
I am not sure why you think that using letters actually makes things more difficult. You would never get just x + y = ? since there would not be enough information to solve this without another equation involving the same variables.

Using letters or symbols does not change the way the mathematics works. Usually, kids start out with a single variable and then work up to two variables or three variables or more and are taught some ways to solve the problems - usually substitution or adding and subtracting the equations. The problem is that most kids don't get that all you have done is to try to find a number by using two equations instead of a single equation. You are determining where two lines intersect

Here is a tutorial with two easy lines. Of course, the manipulations get more difficult when you have nonlinear equations, but the principle is the same.

Algebra, Solving Equations with Two Variables in Algebra - YouTube

Old 02-02-2013, 08:02 AM

6 posts, read 6,496 times
hello,
Yes it is true the most of the people may find maths and science very difficult but to me i enjoy doing it and i selected maths stream in my graduation too but i don't like physics, it is really frustrating, i don't like those laws and all.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,119,364 times
Those laws give some of us a structure. If we can relate a calculation to something in the real world, we can solve it. I know that everyone doesn't need this, but some of us have to have a real world situation to hang the math on. Physics gives us the picture in our minds to hang the equasion on. Is it for everyone? No. People learn differently. Some of you can see an equasion and figure out how to solve it. Others cannot. We don't all learn the same way. Dosen't make one group smarter than another, just shows that people learn in different ways.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,454,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I agree. Catagorizing yourself this way is just a cop out. I do better with math and science because I like math and science but that doesn't mean I couldn't do language arts if I put my mind to it. My interest just doesn't lie there so I have to work harder at it. However, I have a feeling that if I worked at it, I could, in time, become just as good at language arts as I am at math and science. I don't because I choose not to. Of course I'd have to try to find out for sure but that's would require more time than I care to put in.

I do, however, think there is a point in time when we are too young to learn many math/science concepts. I struggled with both math and science in high school in spite of a strong interest. I got some concepts but not others. In college, I breezed through math and science. I found all I had to do was put the time in to learn it.

I think one issue people have with math and science is that they build. What you didn't learn in previous classes comes back to haunt you.
Upthread, I said something similar about myself and algebra. That had I wanted to, I could have done it, but, it didn't interest me. I excelled in language, science and other subjects in college, but, not algebra, because I had zero interest in it. Regular arithmetic was easy. I was taken to task and made out to be some sort of retard who could not have done it or I would have. It wasn't worth responding to again.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,769,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Upthread, I said something similar about myself and algebra. That had I wanted to, I could have done it, but, it didn't interest me. I excelled in language, science and other subjects in college, but, not algebra, because I had zero interest in it. Regular arithmetic was easy. I was taken to task and made out to be some sort of retard who could not have done it or I would have. It wasn't worth responding to again.
Yes that is a cultural thing.

In Asian countries, math is valued more than here in the US. You are a bad student and have no status, if you cannot do well in math, no matter how good your "language skill" is.
Here in the US, however, students are not motivated to push themselves to do well.

I heard all students at MIT must take calculus, even if they study political science etc. Many universities do the same in China. So even if you are interested in humanities, you have to endure advanced math, if you want to attend a top university.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:23 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,119,364 times
I am just wondering. Have there been any comparative studies between suicide rates of students in Asian students and American students?
I am sorry, but I just cannot understand equating a person's worth to his or her scores in one subject. In the hills we have a phrase "educated fool". That means sombody who has a good education, but has no practical skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education