Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you high school have air conditioning?
Yes 49 28.49%
No 96 55.81%
Only in some of the rooms 27 15.70%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 02:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
How did a building like that feel? I wonder what the rationale was for building it without windows.
It felt very oppressive. It was a two-story school, but it felt like we were underground. We were oblivious to outside weather conditions, so we wouldn't know if it was raining/snowing/sleeting/sunny/cloudy; I really disliked that school. They finally closed that school this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 04:05 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It felt very oppressive. It was a two-story school, but it felt like we were underground. We were oblivious to outside weather conditions, so we wouldn't know if it was raining/snowing/sleeting/sunny/cloudy; I really disliked that school. They finally closed that school this year.
What you're saying makes total sense. It's hard to imagine a school (or any building) without windows. It would feel like a prison.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:10 PM

242 posts, read 300,574 times
I went to high school in the early 2000s and only the principal's office had a window A/C unit. We also had uniforms and the pants were made of polyester so on hot days we melted.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
There was only one classroom in my high school without windows that I can think of. It was much bigger than a regular classroom. I don't even remember if it had air conditioning. I don't think so. The school held detention there on occasion if there were too many kids serving it that day to fit in the regular classroom where it was usually held (which had windows). I never served detention in the bigger, window-less room. It was always in the regular room on the days i had it unless I got a work detail, in which case it was wherever the assigned work detail was. No air conditioning for any of that either.
I should also add that I had two classes, both my senior year, in the room without windows. When I went back for a visit at the school two years ago, I found that they had split this large room up into a few individual classrooms and added Windows to each one. I still don't remember if this room had air conditioning or if it does now.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:29 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
My high school didn't have any windows, so A/C was a necessity.
I have trouble believing it.

What architect would design a building like that? What Building Department would approve of such plans? What fire department would do a sign-off on that?

Can you post a google earth Street View link, or a link to the schools website that shows a picture of this building.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I have trouble believing it.

What architect would design a building like that? What Building Department would approve of such plans? What fire department would do a sign-off on that?

Can you post a google earth Street View link, or a link to the schools website that shows a picture of this building.
I saw a school in New York City without windows. They do exist.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:24 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,289 times
My High school was in Phoenix, Arizona....so yes lol.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:15 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
In both the middle school and the high school that I attended, it was mostly the science labs that had no windows. There were other classrooms in both buildings with no windows, but none of the science labs in either building had windows. Is that common? I would have thought that you would want windows for ventilation in science labs, even more than in a regular classroom.

In another thread, I mentioned that science was one of my top subjects, but that I mostly did not get along with my science teachers. I wonder if there was any correlation between them spending all day in a room without windows and them having lousy personalities, or at least personalities that clashed with mine.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:52 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I have trouble believing it...
Yeah, because I'd gain so much by lying about something like that.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 08-15-2016 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
In both the middle school and the high school that I attended, it was mostly the science labs that had no windows. There were other classrooms in both buildings with no windows, but none of the science labs in either building had windows. Is that common? I would have thought that you would want windows for ventilation in science labs, even more than in a regular classroom.

In another thread, I mentioned that science was one of my top subjects, but that I mostly did not get along with my science teachers. I wonder if there was any correlation between them spending all day in a room without windows and them having lousy personalities, or at least personalities that clashed with mine.
Now that you mention it, there was one science lab at my school -- directly above the windowless room I mentioned earlier -- that I don't think had any windows at the time. Now it has windows, and I found the room much bigger than I remembered it when I went back for a visit 2 years ago. All the other science labs had windows.

One of my science teachers was a bit crazy and kicked me out of class once because I couldn't stop laughing when he was yelling at the whole class. Then I got busted in the hallway by the dean. Other than that, I got along with my science teachers. My physics teacher was a cool guy and I really liked him. I had him for homeroom and he let me slide on being late a few times when he could have sent me to the dean and gotten me in trouble for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education