Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
The last time, I didn't get it back, so no one else got to see it.
You do not have to write that unhappy ending for it.

Might just be out there being passed around in circles that you could have never reached.

True Story. My kids' favorite store (over any toy store) is Half-Priced Books. They ask to go there for their birthdays, even.

I take the kids and I get to browse the discount dollar rack while there. I find things like various 12 step / AA Big Books / Dave Ramsey / all sorts of other Help-A-Lot-of-Other-Folks books.

So for a few dollars I get them off the Heading-to-Recycle rack. I call it Book Liberation / Rescue.

Then I have them to give out, or just leave sitting about where some folks that need them may find them. Not saying that is so great, I just figure it may do some folks some good.

Point is -- Just saying you have no idea what good your book may be doing without you.

I will add your book -- to my Liberation List.

Looky here -- going from 42 cents to a penny a copy

Amazon.com: The Day I Became an Autodidact (9780440550136): Kendall Hailey: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
You do not have to write that unhappy ending for it.

Might just be out there being passed around in circles that you could have never reached.

True Story. My kids' favorite store (over any toy store) is Half-Priced Books. They ask to go there for their birthdays, even.

I take the kids and I get to browse the discount dollar rack while there. I find things like various 12 step / AA Big Books / Dave Ramsey / all sorts of other Help-A-Lot-of-Other-Folks books.

So for a few dollars I get them off the Heading-to-Recycle rack. I call it Book Liberation / Rescue.

Then I have them to give out, or just leave sitting about where some folks that need them may find them. Not saying that is so great, I just figure it may do some folks some good.

Point is -- Just saying you have no idea what good your book may be doing without you.

I will add your book -- to my Liberation List.

Looky here -- going from 42 cents to a penny a copy

Amazon.com: The Day I Became an Autodidact (9780440550136): Kendall Hailey: Books

That's true. I didn't think of that. I picked it up at one of those sales, so I hope the last person I gave it to has passed it on to others.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 PM

301 posts, read 804,354 times
Quote:
There should not be any low-performing schools. All schools should teach students to the same high standards, beginning in pre-school. However, many Americans see pre-school as free daycare, not realizing that the achievement gap that begins in the home needs to be targeted as soon after birth as possible. So the gap widens with each passing year. The result is that students arrive at your high school unprepared to do grade-level work.

Your education is suffering because your classmates drag down the level of instruction. All I can tell you is what I say to my own students--If you rely on school to educate you, you will end up badly educated at best. The best educated people have always been self-educated people. The remarkable thing this year is that so many of them believed me and have begun acting upon it.

Read your textbooks before summer vacation, if you haven't done so this year, and school is still in session where you are. If not, then hit the library, preferably a college library, and begin your career of self-study. I highly recommend reading the diary-turned-book written by a high school junior whose parents let her quit school and teach herself. It's called The Day I Became an Autodidact, by Kendall Hailey. It was quite inspiring, and I would lend it to students who were interested. The last time, I didn't get it back, so no one else got to see it. But it's very entertaining, especially if you're the age she was when she wrote it. Good luck!
Thanks. I'm no longer in high school. I'm a student in college and doing quite well. The main reason why I have found success in college is because I completed my high school education in a college preparatory private school.

Self-study is great and students who are motivated learners will go far. That is the reason why some students are even able to "escape" the system. That being said, I think that going to a school that pushes students is crucial. In high school, I learned not only things like math and science, but I also learned how to manage my time. I learned how to study, how to push through the tough times, how to write essays, and how to use resources. I went to a school where in 9th grade Biology you have 2-3 essays due each week on top of the homework you have for your five other classes. That, right there, was something that made me very well prepared for college.

A lot of my friends, on the other hand, who went to decent public schools struggled to adapt to college. I remember one girl complaining about an essay she had to write for her English class on Facebook. I copied the comment and sent it to my friend from high school and we had a conversation about how well we were prepared. I remember my friend saying something along the lines of "Didn't we start writing essays like those in the eighth grade?"

My Statistics class first semester scared me. I sat in that class bored every Tuesday and Thursday at 8 AM. Every exam that we took had the 25%, 50%, and 75% marks for grades. We were a two thirds into the semester and had just hit the concept of "Mean, Median, and Mode". 50% of the class made a C or below on every exam. By the end of the class, 10% of the students had dropped it. I just sat there thinking, I learned about Mean, Median, and Mode in the fourth and fifth grades. How can people be doing this poorly?

It makes me really sad, too. I really wish that people had as good of an education experience as myself. I really do. After attending two public schools and a private school, I can attest to the difference in the quality of education. Even in college, I see students who are bright, but do not have the basic skill-sets that they should when entering college. It is just such a shame.

Apparently it is also a problem in other countries. In my French class, one of the debates that we had discussed whether or not colleges and universities should have Remedial Reading and Writing Courses. Apparently in France, universities are finding that new students do not have the reading and writing skills that a university student should. So maybe it isn't anything that can be helped, but I wish it could.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:34 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
There are nine high schools in my county, but I was only allowed to go to one of them. It was a low-performing school and didn't have exactly the safest environment. There were eight other high schools. Several would have been better academically performing high schools and all eight would have been safer, but I either had to pay to attend those schools, lie and say I lived in those school zones, or choose a non-public education. That isn't right. Every child should be afforded equal opportunities or at the very least, another free public option. I didn't even have that.
Your situation is not the norm. Open enrollment is quickly becoming the norm across the country; which allows you to enroll in any public high school in the state.
The school choice debate is essentially about whether open enrollment should be extended to private schools. I think some states are purposely fighting open enrollment as an effort to promote school choice.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:27 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,278,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Your situation is not the norm. Open enrollment is quickly becoming the norm across the country; which allows you to enroll in any public high school in the state.
The school choice debate is essentially about whether open enrollment should be extended to private schools. I think some states are purposely fighting open enrollment as an effort to promote school choice.
I don't believe their should be open enrollment OR school choice. Public education is free. You get what you pay for. Even at the worst schools you do have the ability to get a decent education. And you can also supplement that education on your own time. If I were on state funded health insurance I wouldn't complain that I should be able to go to any doctor I wanted to. I would understand that if I wanted that I'd have to pay for it.

Where I used to live in Arizona our suburb grew from 10,000 to over 100,000 in a very short time. The school district had one high school and has now expanded to 4. The original high school was predominantly Hispanic as the town was when there were only 10,000 people in it. The high school had a really bad reputation, really bad test scores, and a really high dropout rate. At first most of the new homes that were built were near the second high school. But as things started to fill in there was a really affluent neighborhood constructed with large homes on 1-acre lots. The homes were all well over $500,000. The district boundaries called for students in those homes to go to the original low performing high school. Parents tried to enroll their kids in the other schools, but the district was adamant about it. The parents were furious.

Well now about 5 years later that schools reputation was changed dramatically. School Digger gives it a 3-star rating. It's still lower than the other three high schools in the district, but it's improving every year.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
That may be the case where you live, but in the state of South Carolina, we are still limited to districts. My county has seven districts. If I chose to go to another school in another district in my county, I would have to pay. If I chose to go to another school in SC, I would have to pay. So, essentially, the debate on School Choice still does exist. I'm glad that in other parts of the country they've decided to allow people to enroll in schools outside of a district boundary. That simply is not the case here.

After a quick look at School Choice in America , I also found that NC, VA, Maryland, and Alabama flat-out don't offer school choice. Many others have "limited" or voluntary options. Perhaps in the future when I have children, I will live in one of those states that has mandatory open enrollment. I honestly had no idea there were even areas in the country that offered that, so thanks for the information. It's nice to know there are places that are going in the right direction.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
That may be the case where you live, but in the state of South Carolina, we are still limited to districts. My county has seven districts. If I chose to go to another school in another district in my county, I would have to pay. If I chose to go to another school in SC, I would have to pay. So, essentially, the debate on School Choice still does exist. I'm glad that in other parts of the country they've decided to allow people to enroll in schools outside of a district boundary. That simply is not the case here.

After a quick look at School Choice in America , I also found that NC, VA, Maryland, and Alabama flat-out don't offer school choice. Many others have "limited" or voluntary options. Perhaps in the future when I have children, I will live in one of those states that has mandatory open enrollment. I honestly had no idea there were even areas in the country that offered that, so thanks for the information. It's nice to know there are places that are going in the right direction.
Why is that the right direction? Not everyone can enroll in the "better" school, simply because there will not be room. So what it will end up creating is a bigger disparity between the "better" schools and the "worse" schools. Schools should be based on neighborhood plain and simple. Boundaries should be adhered to. Parents that care about it should think about that when they are choosing where to live.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Parents that care about it should think about that when they are choosing where to live.
Not everyone has this luxury, especially in this economy.

Personally, I just think that all children deserve equal opportunity in public schools regardless of the amount of money their parents make. That's why I think it's going in the "right" direction to offer school choice. At least in that scenario, a child who comes from a poor family doesn't have to go to an awful school.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Not everyone has this luxury, especially in this economy.

Personally, I just think that all children deserve equal opportunity in public schools regardless of the amount of money their parents make. That's why I think it's going in the "right" direction to offer school choice. At least in that scenario, a child who comes from a poor family doesn't have to go to an awful school.
But don't you see that there is not enough room to accommodate all the student's that want that "choice". And then it will in turn make the "bad" school even worse. I think that all children deserve an adequate education. There are students every year that come from crappy inner-city schools and go to Ivy League schools. All schools offer an adequate education. The bad schools just have a higher amount of underperforming students. That doesn't mean there are no opportunities for good students.

I taught ACT prep at a poor school that was rated a "1" on greatschools. They had some of the worst test scores in the state. The average ACT score was 15, where the national average is 21. But they still had students scoring 25+ on the ACT. They had kids in honors classes. They had a functioning National Honor Society on campus. The environment of the so-called "bad schools" is way overblown.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 918 times
THe money is for a students education.... it really is that simple. If a private school is educating a student then teh money should go to the private school. If the public chool is educating the student then the public school should get it.

PERHAPS if pulic schools had to COMPETE for teir funding.... if their bottom line DEPENDED on delivering a top quality product then we might see some true reform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education