Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times

Advertisements

1) What an irresponsible mother for not ensuring that her child could get the emergency care he needed. All she had to do was sign the form.

2) The nurse was very remiss at the beginning of the school year for not ensuring the medical form had the appropriate signatures.

3) The nurse could potentially lose her license permanently if she gave a medication without authorization. Good Samaritan Laws would not cover her.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Nurse refuses student inhaler during asthma attack | News - Home

I can't write here what I want to do to the school nurse and school administrator who stood behind the nurse's actions. Legally, she should be prosecuted for child endangerment, have her license revoked, and sent to prison. Even in the military we know when to throw aside the rules and do what's right despite the rules and accept the consequences of our actions later.
Why are you asking if schools need to have a nurse on staff? Just because of one incident? Why not ask if this particular nurse should be fired? Or get more training?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:08 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
Quote:
If they fire her, the reason for the firing would look good on an application as nurse. "reason for leaving last place of employment: was fired for saving a student's life."
If she lost her license because she broke a rule (and potentially a law), then it wouldn't matter. And I'm not sure Wal-Mart would care much when she applied for a manager position.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
1) What an irresponsible mother for not ensuring that her child could get the emergency care he needed. All she had to do was sign the form.

2) The nurse was very remiss at the beginning of the school year for not ensuring the medical form had the appropriate signatures.

3) The nurse could potentially lose her license permanently if she gave a medication without authorization. Good Samaritan Laws would not cover her.
I'm glad that someone mentioned this.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
I can't write here what I want to do to the school nurse and school administrator who stood behind the nurse's actions. Legally, she should be prosecuted for child endangerment, have her license revoked, and sent to prison. Even in the military we know when to throw aside the rules and do what's right despite the rules and accept the consequences of our actions later.
School nurses are completely useless. Not ONCE in my entire public school experience has a nurse done anything to help me except call my parents. They literally get paid to do NOTHING. I don't get what's the point.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 PM

161 posts, read 239,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
School nurses are completely useless. Not ONCE in my entire public school experience has a nurse done anything to help me except call my parents. They literally get paid to do NOTHING. I don't get what's the point.
I am almost speechless at your statement. if you did not have a health issue your parents didn't give the nurse necessary medical records to provide care. Numerous kids have food allergies, diabetes, and other medical conditions. the nurse informs every teacher of the health concerns and writes a helath care plan. Nurses usually have to manage multiple schools. without a school nurse you wouldn't have anyone to manage the medications in a school.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
My son has a potentially life-threatening condition, and our school nurse has been fantastic.

What do they do? Administer insulin and check blood sugars for diabetics, administer breathing treatments for asthmatics, deal with the mire of food allergies, handle communicable diseases, triage countless injuries a day, handle body fluids, administer medications, co-ordinate the annual vision and hearing screenings, etc.

The common frustration I hear is this very issue. Children with known issues require the appropriate documentation to keep them safe, and the school nurse must spend countless hours running after parents to ensure they have everything documented and the appropriate medications should the need arise. It's not rocket science, the forms are distributed, the parents fill them out and return them.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:45 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Well, this is news to me. I stand corrected. I honestly didn't realize they do all that. They have never done anything to help me. But if you guys are saying their doing all that for other kids, then I will take your word for it. I apologize.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:03 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,939 times
You know what? Many RN do not, do a darn thing, unless they are in a hospital setting. Only if the worst of the worst occurs, you have one battle ready nurse bossing around all the remidial RN, and etc employees like clockwork.

The parents should sue the school and make a protest, against the nurse who could not do the simplest of things, and treat the child. Call the parent, get permmisions, jump out of a really tall window, or run back and forth like a chicken. They make it seem, as if the kid is allergic to the medications.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My son has a potentially life-threatening condition, and our school nurse has been fantastic.

What do they do? Administer insulin and check blood sugars for diabetics, administer breathing treatments for asthmatics, deal with the mire of food allergies, handle communicable diseases, triage countless injuries a day, handle body fluids, administer medications, co-ordinate the annual vision and hearing screenings, etc.

The common frustration I hear is this very issue. Children with known issues require the appropriate documentation to keep them safe, and the school nurse must spend countless hours running after parents to ensure they have everything documented and the appropriate medications should the need arise. It's not rocket science, the forms are distributed, the parents fill them out and return them.
What she said! I have a friend who is a health room parapro; she does all the above with some help from the school nurse, who actually has several schools to cover. It is my friend who is in the health room all day. She has expressed frustration with the above, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education