Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 12:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And we are not a charter school. We are a public magnet.
Which as you pointed out in your previous post takes the students who score at the top on your admissions tests and not any other students.

Selective admissions schools cannot be compared to local public schools despite the fact that they *are* publicly funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 12:53 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
OK, name the sport.

People work harder and longer to beat the competition. Why put in long hours of practice, studying or class preparation if it doesn't matter?
The leap from "competing against myself" to "if it doesn't matter" is just off.

It matters and matters vitally - I want to do my best. I want a personal best. I want to be able to play better.

I am VERY competitive... but not the way you speak about.

I would rather lose a well played game than win a poorly played game, every time. And I play games I am poor at quite happily for the pleasure of playing it.

Many of my track friends ran to run. To set new personal best marks. A successful race was one in which they beat their prior record - and if they beat the other runner, that was good, too... but beating the other runner while running a moderately slow time was a disappointment.

Musicians, too. They play and practice to master their instruments. Some of them live for competition. Some of them live for recitals and performance. But plenty of them play to play - and to do so as well as they possibly can.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
They would be like any other parents, and find the schools that best suit their needs.
"that best suit their needs" is not the same as "the best school." And, unfortunately, "convenient to get to" is often the primary criterion.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:49 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Have you met the parents? Most parents may want the best for their kids but most will take the path of least resistance and accept the best they can get witn minimal effort. Even I did that. I could have worked my butt off and bought a house in the best district around. Instead, I chose to live where I do and enjoy a level of financial security I couldn't have there.
That's your choice, and they have theirs. So what? *I* wouldn't chose a school of least resistance for my kids, but I certainly don't begrudge other parents the choice to do that. It's elitist to think that my way is the best way.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:50 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
"that best suit their needs" is not the same as "the best school." And, unfortunately, "convenient to get to" is often the primary criterion.
That's a PARENT's decision- not mine, not yours, and certainly not the government's.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
That's a PARENT's decision- not mine, not yours, and certainly not the government's.
I'm not proposing taking it away from them.

I do wish, though, that some parents made the decision more consciously than they do.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Apparently, proper use of capitalization is hard to get.

Anyway, I teach in a school of choice, we average 6 children per available space. So how do you pick who gets which spot?
The district I went to has a one "choice" high school. It's different than yours, though, in that you can either be zoned there or choose it because your high school is failing. It isn't the top school in the district, but it is the only in district choice. The school has hardly any openings every year. It chooses who gets to go by who has the lowest-income.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What could end up is that there would be smaller public schools and the students that are left there would be your typical vocational students, not academic students. Maybe a magnet school to house the academic ones in the system and the rest are taught trades.

You see, everyone is not equal and everyone cannot go to college.
But K-12 today says they are and they can. This is just backlash from parents fed up with the system.
I would be fine with lots of smaller, heavily tracked schools. My district is a proof of the outstanding success these programs can have (we have five magnets and a handful of voc programs and two of our schools made the top 20 list this year).

But, those programs should be public because the best way to save money is to share services, not put taxpayers money in the hands of private corporations.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Which as you pointed out in your previous post takes the students who score at the top on your admissions tests and not any other students.

Selective admissions schools cannot be compared to local public schools despite the fact that they *are* publicly funded.
I agree, magnet schools, should be compared to other magnet schools.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
lkb0714 --

You really have to face the basic Root Cause Analysis problem in all this.

I see you do 100,000 rationalizations, strawman arguments, poor-mouth any other options . . but there is really one thing this is all about . . . .

If the Public Schools were doing a Good Job -- we would not want to get away from you.

Summary Bottom Line. Public Schools in the US -- and especially some areas -- are doing Crap Work Product.

That is ALL that is driving this. Face it.

Why the low quality and why do you wish to maintain low quality?

Are you General Motors, or what?
Get away from us? I told you we turn away 5 kids for every one we accept.

So lets actually look at the problem instead of just proposing a known flawed solution. Go look at every district that has "vouchers". I posted links to several. It isn't working. Charter schools perform worse than there local public school more often than they perform better. That is a FACT.

The solution to fixing this real problem is not to hire private corporations to education children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education