Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 06:02 PM

69 posts, read 136,739 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I am teaching myself programming, and I want to know what are some of the best tools out there I can use as I try to improve my coding and IT skills?

~Floomer99
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
What language?

Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 AM

69 posts, read 136,739 times
Java, C++, PHP, Python. Really the more "in demand languages." I'm unemployed and need to expand my skills.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:03 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floomer99 View Post
Java, C++, PHP, Python. Really the more "in demand languages." I'm unemployed and need to expand my skills.
By all means continue to learn on your own free-time.

I would warn you though, self taught programmers are a dying breed in the workforce unless you do Web Development freelance style. If you want to do true Software Engineering, like in C/C++/Java... go to school and study Computer Science or Software Engineering.

If you want to learn Web Development, study: HTML/XML, PHP, .NET, Cold Fusion, JSP/JSF, mySQL DB. Setup Tomcat or IIS on a Virtual Machine and start going.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:34 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Yes, I am learning C as a hobby. I do take it seriously, but will never be very good because I am pretty dumb and C is....well, kinda mind boggling for me.

The only way I have gotten past a kindergarten level with C is work hard and be very consistent in studying.

It pains me to have to review/clarify concepts so often, I like learning new things. But with C, I really NEED to review more than once to get some things clear.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:30 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floomer99 View Post
That's pretty broad. I would really concentrate on getting one down, then go to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yes, I am learning C as a hobby. I do take it seriously, but will never be very good because I am pretty dumb and C is....well, kinda mind boggling for me.

The only way I have gotten past a kindergarten level with C is work hard and be very consistent in studying.

It pains me to have to review/clarify concepts so often, I like learning new things. But with C, I really NEED to review more than once to get some things clear.
The internet as a source of information is really a cluster F. Books are still really good concentrated sources of info.

If you want to learn programming, don't get any of those "learn [language] in [#] days." They are useless. Instead go to a library or used bookstore and check out their selection.

Two C books I recommend

Beginning C: From Novice to Professional (Beginning Apress) by Ivor Horton (Dec 16, 2011)

C Programming Language (2nd Edition) by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie (Apr 1, 1988)

The first book is if you don't know anything beyond printf("hello world"); It will teach you rules and proper memory usage. A really good book. The second book is the master of all C language books. Every single possibility is in this book. To go beyond C? Well... I really don't know. Here is the thing. Most of the languages have the same or similar syntax in comparison. So its not exactly learning something completely different when you switch to java or even python. I do know there are a lot of companies out there that all you have to do is prove yourself and you can get your foot in the door without an expensive degree.

I am thinking of dumping myself in the programming field because the networking field is over-saturated

Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM

410 posts, read 398,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
... If you want to do true Software Engineering, like in C/C++/Java... go to school and study Computer Science or Software Engineering...
Yep, spot on; the "proper" way is to formally learn the foundations and then the languages (C/C++/Java).

OP, if I were in your situation, my strategy would be:

a) Figure out which languages are in demand in your area.
For example, in the NY area, Java/C++ is more in demand (and will pay much higher) than Php/Python. However, getting good in Java/C++ will take much longer than Php/Python.

b) Work to get better at it.
I, generally, start by watching youtube video/buying a book to learn the theoretical aspects. However,
I make it a habit to try out the examples presented. It's an invaluable way to learn the details of not only the language but also the "environment" in which you will build and execute your applications.

c) Once you have gotten a job, see if you can take a few "core" Computer Science classes at the local college.
Self-Taught Developers: Are You Missing Your Foundation? | Java Code Geeks

The shelf-life of a good programmer is about 2 years; therefore it's essential to learn continuously.

Good luck.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:03 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
I have a bachelors in computer science from years ago. Became very good with C++ and Visual Basic. One thing you have to realize is that programming languages are updated continually. C++ is a very good language to focus on as well as JAVA. Both are in high demand in the job market.

As far as studying goes. The best thing you could do is to get a few student textbooks that include programming assignments that are hands on and require you to use programming language to solve real world tasks/problems. The more assignments/projects you do the better your skills will become.

Best of luck with your studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education