Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 04:18 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I stated emphatically that I had not done a study. However, people like to ignore those things that do not allow them to jump to conclusions. There are many things done in schools today that I do not think improve student achievement. I do not know for sure whether REQUIRED summer reading is one of those things or not but neither does anyone else.
Uhm maybe you don't understand what correlation means. Because you do not need to "do a study" to find one. All correlation days is two things are related.

And yes other people have don't studies and found that students who do required summer work retain statistically more of their prior years progress than those who do not. I would post the citations but you are not going to read them so why bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think the answer is year-round schooling. BTW, just because someone "whines" about the decline of the school system does not mean they cannot voice dissent with certain aspects of schools.
Ok then it just makes you a hypocrite to whine about something that has clearly and scientifically been shown to help student achievement and then whine about the decline of schools.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:21 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Maybe because we came through WWII with almost none of the damage of the countries in Europe and Asia. We had a 15 yr economic head start while they had to rebuild their entire infrastructure. I take it back maybe you shouldn't home school.
Thank you so much for your riveting contribution to the thread.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Then don't whine about the quality of education.

You may not have done any studies but others have. Students lose significant progress over the summer. Summer work helps them maintain their knowledge base.
The answer is not summer vacation reading lists then. The answer is year-round school.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am not whining about anything. I just don't like required summer reading.

School is not the sum total of a student's education. There are many other educational activities that students may choose in the summer.

Do you know of any studies that tie REQUIRED SUMMER READING to improved academic achievement?
Yes, this.

While I wholeheartedly support a public school system, it is not the only way or even the best way that children learn. My children have learned many things through our (DH & myself) efforts at taking them to museums, libraries, etc.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Here is a pdf of one study

http://ers.princeton.edu/Kim.pdf

It is hard to find research on the programs where the children are required to read specific books, but they may be out there. It is certainly true that for some groups, the only way they may read is if there is a requirement to do so.
Right. But I believe this study shows it is the reading itself, NOT the school requiring it that is the key.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Ok then it just makes you a hypocrite to whine about something that has clearly and scientifically been shown to help student achievement and then whine about the decline of schools.
So if you don't agree 100% with all school procedures you are a hypocrite? BTW, do you have definitive proof that required reading lists over the summer are successful?

I don't believe that required reading lists is the panacea for our ailing system. "Maybe you should home school." Ah, the age old answer to any form of parental discontent with schools. Way to toe the party line!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-04-2012 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 06-04-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So if you don't agree 100% with all school procedures you are a hypocrite? BTW, do you have definitive proof that required reading lists over the summer are successful?
Nana has shown one study. If you want me to post a review of the lit when I get home (not possible to post that from my phone) I will. But honestly you would just cherry pick it like that other person did. So what is the point?

But yes, multiple studies have shown that summer work helps maintain prior years gains.

Quote:
I don't believe that required reading lists is the panacea for our ailing system. "Maybe you should home school." Ah, the age old answer to any form of parental discontent with schools. Way to tow the party line!
Who said it was a panacea? What it is, is a specific solution to a specific problem that affects MOST students.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-04-2012 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: Removed rude comment, fixed typo

Old 06-04-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Nana has shown one study. If you want me to post a review of the lit when I get home (not possible to post that from my phone) I will. But honestly you would just cherry pick it like that other person did. So what is the point?

But yes, multiple studies have shown that summer work helps maintain prior years gains.

Who said it was a panacea? What it is, is a specific solution to a specific problem that affects MOST students.

But that study is only saying that READING is the beneficial practice, NOT summer required reading lists. That is my point.

What is the problem that reading lists fix?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:02 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Uhm maybe you don't understand what correlation means. Because you do not need to "do a study" to find one. All correlation days is two things are related.

And yes other people have don't studies and found that students who do required summer work retain statistically more of their prior years progress than those who do not. I would post the citations but you are not going to read them so why bother.
A study would have to be done to asses whether a correlation exists. I don't know that one exists. I am making a personal observation. That implies that I think there might be a correlation, but not that one actually exists. If one were found to exist further study(ies) would be necessary to examine the causes of the correlation.

Why would you assume I would not read them? I started to read the entire study that someone posted last night but it was late here on the east coast so I skimmed through it. Not because I wasn't interested, but because I was tired.

My personal opinion is just that, a personal opinion. It doesn't imply anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education