Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:06 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Over on Parenting, the topic of summer readings lists came up. From an educator's point of view, what is the purpose of required reading lists? Do you think that it inhibits a love of reading when kids are made to read 20 or 30 books over the summer rather than choosing their own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Reading lists are to practice specific skills of reading, to have a common point of reference when they return to school in the fall and to keep them reading and not playing video games all summer.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
We never had them, but as an avid reader from a young age, I didn't need them...I read all the time, anyway, independently of school.

Honestly, reading for pleasure is something schools have little control over...kids either love to read, or they don't, and most of the time, it is related to whether that is nurtured or reinforced at home. Making homework over the summer doesn't do anything to foster a desire to read for those who wouldn't choose it on their own.

A far better approach (in addition to just reading to your kids regularly) is to have kids participate in public library summer reading programs from a young age, where they are read to, have a variety of cross-disciplinary activities built in, and introduce the rewards of reading for pleasure early on...required reading lists ad making reading a chore never inspired anybody.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:05 AM

It is not teachers' jobs to keep kids from spending all summer playing video games, or doing or not doing anything else all summer, for that matter...it's up to parents. Teachers are already charged with too much pseudo parenting during the school year...to be responsible for requiring a course of curriculum we are not there to teach strikes me as a potentially noble effort, but wrongheaded and not all that effective.

And I teach reading and language arts.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:08 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It is not teachers' jobs to keep kids from spending all summer playing video games, or doing or not doing anything else all summer, for that matter...it's up to parents. Teachers are already charged with too much pseudo parenting during the school year...to be responsible for requiring a course of curriculum we are not there to teach strikes me as a potentially noble effort, but wrongheaded and not all that effective.

I totally agree. Kids should be able to do what they like over the summer. It's called a break.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:21 AM

Ideally, parents should be introducing palatable reading options on their own over the summer without a teacher's order. The idea that reading can't be presented as a worthwhile leisure activity, or that reading is an odious task that should be avoided when you are "on break" is not great, and goes a long way toward explaining some kids' attitudes about reading.

I agree with kids reading for pleasure over the summer (and anytime). I just don't agree with it being a teacher responsibility.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:23 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Ideally, parents should be introducing palatable reading options on their own over the summer without a teacher's order. The idea that reading can't be presented as a worthwhile leisure activity, or that reading is an odious task that should be avoided when you are "on break" is not great, and goes a long way toward explaining some kids' attitudes about reading.
I did not say that reading cannot be presented as a worthwhile leisure activity. Nor did I say that it was an odious task that should be avoided. YOU SAID THAT.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:57 AM

I didn't quote you...sometimes a response on a thread is just a response on a thread.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:01 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Reading lists are to practice specific skills of reading, to have a common point of reference when they return to school in the fall and to keep them reading and not playing video games all summer.
But reading in and of itself is just great for the brain. Why do specific skills need to be gained during summer vacation? Why not during the school year?

I also find your point about video games to be condescending. Most of us parents don't need a teacher to make sure our kids are doing what they (teachers) think they should during the summer.

Quote:
We never had them, but as an avid reader from a young age, I didn't need them...I read all the time, anyway, independently of school.

Honestly, reading for pleasure is something schools have little control over...kids either love to read, or they don't, and most of the time, it is related to whether that is nurtured or reinforced at home. Making homework over the summer doesn't do anything to foster a desire to read for those who wouldn't choose it on their own.

A far better approach (in addition to just reading to your kids regularly) is to have kids participate in public library summer reading programs from a young age, where they are read to, have a variety of cross-disciplinary activities built in, and introduce the rewards of reading for pleasure early on...required reading lists ad making reading a chore never inspired anybody.
Great post! ITA!

Quote:

Old 06-02-2012, 10:19 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Our kids finished class yesterday with a half-day . . . (school gets to bill a full day for that). But the school had already stopped teaching a couple of weeks ago after the Texas State Mandated STAAR Tests.

So at any rate, we had grabbed the Half Priced Books, Barnes and Noble, and the Library lists, and started putting them together -- but the kids found the pile and one of them are about half way through, since the school stopped teaching.

A lot of kids would learn a lot more if the education industry were not in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education